Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Old Jan 3, 16, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

The agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to the day of departure downgrades (due to overbooking of the cabin).
Downgrades due to advance schedule / aircraft changes and/or canceled flights (including the day of departure) are not eligible.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if a customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

If I was CPUed and then degraded, am I eligible for GG OVS compensation?
Yes if the downgrade occurred on the day of departure.

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.

Related thread: First Class Oversold - How does United decide who stays and who goes

Archived thread Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions,Compensation, etc.) [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Old Apr 14, 19, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zombietooth View Post
Since I was paid F on UA, should I get an adjustment to Y refund?
Yes. See if you can figure out what the Y fare would have cost if you'd purchased it at time you purchased your ticket. The default will be to a walk-up Y fare and that's typically inadequate. I think there's also an argument you're due downgrade comp.
Old Apr 14, 19, 7:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
...I think there's also an argument you're due downgrade comp.
Standard practice is just a fare differential refund in the case of WX irrops. -- and getting it based on purchased time fares is going to be challenging.
Standard Downgrade comp is limited to oversell situations, not WX irrops.
Old Apr 14, 19, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Standard practice is just a fare differential refund in the case of WX irrops. -- and getting it based on purchased time fares is going to be challenging.
Standard Downgrade comp is limited to oversell situations, not WX irrops.
Good point, but I'd still trot that argument out if they tried to squeeze me on the refund with a walk-up Y fare.
Old Apr 14, 19, 8:05 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Yes. See if you can figure out what the Y fare would have cost if you'd purchased it at time you purchased your ticket. The default will be to a walk-up Y fare and that's typically inadequate. I think there's also an argument you're due downgrade comp.
Since work does not pay for Business Class, every time I purchase a Business Class ticket I do a screenshot of the price in Economy. That's what I usually get reimbursed but I guess it could be useful in a case that United downgrades me.
747FC likes this.
Old Apr 14, 19, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
Since work does not pay for Business Class, every time I purchase a Business Class ticket I do a screenshot of the price in Economy. That's what I usually get reimbursed but I guess it could be useful in a case that United downgrades me.
Not really -- you need a mixed class example (if RT). One direction in First and one direction economy -- to see the total pricing difference. Or book just oneways.
Old Apr 15, 19, 1:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
^Thanks to you all. I'll try to reconstruct a mixed F/Y itinerary as a basis for negotiation and then, see what they offer.
Old Apr 15, 19, 6:05 am

Not really -- you need a mixed class example (if RT). One direction in First and one direction economy -- to see the total pricing difference. Or book just oneways.
I see. I just need then to take multiple screenshots. All Economy, all Business (my receipt), RT with one direction in Business, RT with the other direction in Business. Good that I only have 3-5 trips per year where I'll need to do that. I don't do that for domestic trips as I can deal with Economy for a 5 hours flight.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Apr 15, 19 at 6:12 am
Old Apr 15, 19, 12:49 pm

I see. I just need then to take multiple screenshots. All Economy, all Business (my receipt), RT with one direction in Business, RT with the other direction in Business. Good that I only have 3-5 trips per year where I'll need to do that. ....
How many times have you successfully made use of these screenshots??
Given the complexity of options including partial downgrades of some segments in a given direction, you could easily be talking 10-20 scenarios -- it does not seem to be worth the effort given the rarity ( at least for me -- well below 1% downgrade rate)
Old Apr 15, 19, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
How many times have you successfully made use of these screenshots??
Given the complexity of options including partial downgrades of some segments in a given direction, you could easily be talking 10-20 scenarios -- it does not seem to be worth the effort given the rarity ( at least for me -- well below 1% downgrade rate)
If I understood what he was referring to was getting compensation from work NOT UA. In the past I did similar. I would book a biz fare (RT and my cost) and just show what the exact same flight was in coach booked on same day to corporate for reimbursement.
Old Apr 15, 19, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
If I understood what he was referring to was getting compensation from work NOT UA.
This is a downgrade thread and the poster did state
.... That's what I usually get reimbursed but I guess it could be useful in a case that United downgrades me.
For reimbursements clearly, just the "reimbursable" option needs to be captured. The mixed class options seem to be aimed at the downgrade situation. But the point was to capture all the combinations in multi-segment situations can be outhand quickly.
Old Apr 15, 19, 6:51 pm

For reimbursements clearly, just the "reimbursable" option needs to be captured. The mixed class options seem to be aimed at the downgrade situation. But the point was to capture all the combinations in multi-segment situations can be outhand quickly.
The four combinations I mentioned above will work for me as when I manage to find a P fare, I'm forced to fly out and into ORD for my international long hauls. I cannot fly out of my city as last year that added $3,000 to the cost of every trip. And this year, United wanted $5,000 more when I booked my next trip to PVG (now it's back down to about $3,000 more). On a CR2 for less than 30 minutes wheels up-wheels down. But I do get your point that downgrades do not happen often. However, one time would be one time too many.
Old Apr 16, 19, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
This is a downgrade thread and the poster did state
When I went into my past itineraries to print a receipt, UA had reissued my itinerary with a completely new ticket #, and a new price that was around $200- less than my original. I assume that this means that they will refund the difference between the two tickets in cash. I'll report back what 1KVoice says when I hear from them.
Old Apr 24, 19, 8:07 am

I did indeed receive a cash refund for the difference between coach and F. Thanks for all the advice.^

One thing I learned from this situation is that Delta's new coach seat is more comfortable than UA's slimline seat. In addition, Delta's coach snacks are superior to UA's. I hadn't previously flown on DL in coach in at least 10 years.
jsloan and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old May 20, 19, 12:08 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Husband and I booked first class award saver from LAX-ICN-HND in October, returning on business class award saver NRT-ICN-LAX all on OZ metal and booked with UA points. I randomly took a look at our itinerary today and saw a schedule change notification, but nothing in the schedule actually has changed - flight #s , times, and aircraft identical to original itinerary, and nothing highlighted in red. Only change is a downgrade from first to business for LAX-ICN leg (13 hr leg!), but this still isn't highlighted in red.

Given that nothing else appears to have changed, I'm assuming that we got bumped from first to business due to priority (only UA Gold, husband is no status). Planning to call to ask about the change shortly, but wanted to see what I was entitled to in this case (award flights, *A metal, months out from itinerary). At the end of the day, we're fine flying in business, but would like to make sure we are compensated appropriately.

Am I entitled to mileage difference? Business saver vs. first saver is 30k miles per person - does it matter that there's no business/first saver availability currently?

Sounds like we aren't eligible for any additional compensation (GG OVS DOWNGRADE), since this isn't day of, but it does appear that we were bumped due to overbooking and not an aircraft/schedule change. Is this correct?

Would it be reasonable to request a different itinerary in business (i.e. a direct flight from LAX to NRT/HND on UA/ANA metal)?
Old May 20, 19, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by lindsheyy View Post
Only change is a downgrade from first to business for LAX-ICN leg (13 hr leg!), but this still isn't highlighted in red.

Given that nothing else appears to have changed, I'm assuming that we got bumped from first to business due to priority (only UA Gold, husband is no status).
OZ is ending F service, that's why your reservation has changed.

Not sure if UA is giving miles refunds to reflect the F=>J downgrade. You're definitely not due any downgrade comp.
Originally Posted by lindsheyy View Post
Would it be reasonable to request a different itinerary in business (i.e. a direct flight from LAX to NRT/HND on UA/ANA metal)?
I suspect UA would open space on its own metal LAX-NRT. For NH, you would need open award inventory, which can be tough to find.
lindsheyy likes this.

Search this Thread