Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Old Jan 3, 16, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

The agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to the day of departure downgrades (due to overbooking of the cabin).
Downgrades due to advance schedule / aircraft changes and/or canceled flights (including the day of departure) are not eligible.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if a customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

If I was CPUed and then degraded, am I eligible for GG OVS compensation?
Yes if the downgrade occurred on the day of departure.

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.

Related thread: First Class Oversold - How does United decide who stays and who goes

Archived thread Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions,Compensation, etc.) [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Old Jul 26, 18, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
RPUs can be applied inside the 24 hour window if R>0. Also they can be used if the agent is willing to make the effort, nothing changed with the systems, just the policy. However if the BP was still economy then the RPU was as not consumed and will probably be returned automatically
I must be unlucky, as twice I've tried to use RPU/GPU's inside of 24hrs with open R space, and both times I was told to pound sand.
Old Jul 26, 18, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RPUs can be applied inside the 24 hour window if R>0. Also they can be used if the agent is willing to make the effort, nothing changed with the systems, just the policy. However if the BP was still economy then the RPU was as not consumed and will probably be returned automatically
If OP hadn't applied an RPU, there would likely never have been a downgrade.

I agree that it's likely that the RPU will be returned, and I wouldn't think twice about accepting it. However, if it isn't returned, I agree that it would be dishonest to ask for it back.
Old Jul 26, 18, 3:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
I must be unlucky, as twice I've tried to use RPU/GPU's inside of 24hrs with open R space, and both times I was told to pound sand.
Just do it yourself or call - works fine

Policy limitation is about waitlisting
COSPILOT likes this.
Old Jul 26, 18, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP will probably get the RPU back as their final seat assignment was in Economy (as far as I can tell, confusing as they said the manifest still showed them in 1F) But if they do get it back it will probably expire unused as they are hard to use, for some routes.
Old Jul 27, 18, 5:22 pm

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
I did get $750 cert on this after emailing support.
Kacee likes this.
Old Aug 5, 18, 11:06 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I am scratching my head on this one.

Full UX flight, one CPU at the gate. At T-9 a UA employee - not one of the GAs working when I boarded - comes on and says "who did we upgrade?" No hands went up. (Mine probably should have, but I was still trying to figure out what she was asking) With no pause, she points at passengers and asks "were you upgraded?" and #2 says "yes". This is not the gate-CPU person. She tells him he needs to take any free seat in Economy (of which these is one), and after that, a person boards and sits in the now unoccupied F seat. There was talk of $150 in compensation as they went back out of earshot.

I'm very puzzled. I can understand soliciting volunteers. I can understand the GA coming on board to do the downgrade, with new BP's. I can't understand a new face on board working a downgrade and a new pax without having dealt with it at the podium. I also don't understand the cheaping out on the compensation.
Old Aug 5, 18, 2:09 pm

Sounds like they had a last minute Global Services passenger.
Old Aug 5, 18, 2:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by glbltvlr View Post
Sounds like they had a last minute Global Services passenger.
More likely a suspected miss-connect that actually made it and the CPU probably should not have happened,

However, the on place process was bizarre, the CPU or the lowest status upgrader should have been pulled by the GA. And the comp at least $200.
Old Aug 5, 18, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Just do it yourself or call - works fine

Policy limitation is about waitlisting
I thought within 24hrs even with R space listed you had to call?
Old Aug 5, 18, 3:04 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
However, the on place process was bizarre, the CPU or the lowest status upgrader should have been pulled by the GA. And the comp at least $200.
That's what surprised me. Also, on a misconnect (which I agree is the most likely explanation) the UA employee who came on the plane should know who the CPU upgrader was. The person who is sitting in the seat of the person who misconnected. (Although now that I write this, that also is a bit mystifying, as First had one seat unassigned from T-60 to T-15 or so.) The compensation makes absolutely no sense. I understand they were in a hurry, but they had to interact with the GA anyway - you can't just walk someone on a flight - so why not spend the few seconds at the counter to keep from sorting this out on the plane?
Old Aug 5, 18, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
I thought within 24hrs even with R space listed you had to call?
Yes UA removed the ability to apply instruments online within T-24 several years ago. The button will now be greyed out.

One of their backwards attempts to stop queue jumping (since they apparently can't make Shares process dynamically).
Old Aug 25, 18, 9:42 am

In advance downgrades are not covered by GG OVS. However, you are eligible for either a refund of the "fare" difference and perhaps a courtesy compensation offer or free change to open space on a flight with the cabin you booked.
I did not see this portion in the Wiki (not referring to your above statement):

What is the process for an in-advance downgrade on a paid First ticket?
Meaning:
I'm assuming one would treat this like AA does where you have to actually fly the itinerary and then afterwards, submit a request for a refund of the fare difference?

AA has a chart (well used to, not sure if it's still around) for their notorious Y-UP (P fare) "instant upgrades" that were routinely downgraded (ie, X number of miles multiplied by Z = this amount of refund or something).

If it matters, original flight was downgraded and itinerary changed as well as equipment change (originally I think a CRJ and now it's an EJ145 and routed through IAD, then Houston, then final destination instead of ORD To final). Only the ALB->IAD segment is a downgrade.
Old Aug 30, 18, 3:08 pm

Possible downgrade? UA110 today.

A ridiculous situation this morning forced my trip from UA179 to UA110 then to HKG(RROPs but not a typical IRROPs situation). For UA110, the boarding pass didn't include a seat assignment. I was told that there would be two seats on hold by the pilot. It's rebooked in P btw, but LHR-HKG is in full Y on other carriers. I heard it's possible that EWR-LHR would be oversold if the pilot decides to take the seat for flights less than eight hours.

If downgrade occurs, would UA try to get you out to the next destinations in other carriers? I was promised by the EWR Polaris J agent that I should get the seat, but really not sure.
Wondered if I should ask to be put on the later LHR flights or try my luck for the oversold, considering there will be almost six hours in LHR to connect to HKG on CX.
Old Aug 30, 18, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If the front cabin is oversold, they're supposed to solicit volunteers for a downgrade. In the INVOL case, you will get downgraded involuntarily and offered GG OVS DOWNGRADE compensation in addition to a fare difference refund (assuming paid). They might honor a request to be rerouted instead; it depends.
Old Sep 9, 18, 11:06 am

The much dreaded D word - downgrade after boarding

So I took UA125 ATH-EWR with my partner (who has my 1K status via my nomination) last week. I had applied for upgrades for both of us using my global premiere upgrade certificates. As usual nothing was cleared until boarding. The upgrade list as we arrived at the gate was that I was at the no 3 spot while my partner was at the no 2 spot, with two unsold biz first seats. One thing I find fascinating is that his ranking is higher than mine since he is my status nominee and was using my upgrade certificate. Do you know why?

Anyway the lucky no 1 and 2 pax on the list, including my partner, were cleared at boarding since there were two unsold seats. 5 mins later they also cleared me (no 3 on the waitlist ) and no 4 pax since there were two passengers that did not show up. After settling in comfortably in my seat and 20 mins before departure, the gate agent approached me in my seat, apologized and informed me that those two passengers showed up and now he had to move me back to coach, citing that the passengers had a right to sue etc. I was surprised since I thought for international flights check in closes 30-45 minutes before departure. It sounds like the ATH ground staff screwed up this time.

I have been flying United for over 20 years (2 million miler) and this was the first time I have been downgraded, I guess it is not that bad given how many successful upgrades I have scored. That only bad part is that this was a 10 hours and 30 mins flight.

I wonder if I can get any sort of compensation for what happened. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Search this Thread