Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why is UA checked bag claim so slow? (EWR,ORD, SFO, IAH, ...) [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is UA checked bag claim so slow? (EWR,ORD, SFO, IAH, ...) [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2016, 3:48 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
IAD had been horrid until 2nd half of 2015 for me, when the wait has been 25 min or less consistently for me. Now, I will have jinxed myself for Monday night no doubt...
Old Jan 2, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by jp12687
EWR and Houston can be just as bad.
When I landed on IAH (int'l), my bag came out literally just as I stepped to the side of the belt, after I cleared customs. No other bags on sight, and I had ran to customs, being one of the first aliens to clear.

However, clearing customs took around 45-1h.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Pretty sure Airserv isn't doing anything "below the wing" for UA at ORD -- they do cabin appearance/cleaning and IIRC drive the C-to-E shuttle (they may also tag bags at the ticket counters, but I haven't been landside at ORD in quite a while) but AFAIK all of the loading/unloading/etc. are UA employees.
Seems the case, also supported by above link that actually UA is hiring such jobs at O'Hare. It appears that UA manages usually to move bags between planes. Just not bringing the bags to conveyer belts. I understand that UA would like to sell other services such as door-to-door services. However, why not provide true priority luggage handling? Just disappointed that UA doesn't believe my time is more valuable.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Holiday baggage loads tend to be heavy, and staffing is lighter with both scheduled and unscheduled absences. This leads to longer delivery times, most of the time. Delivery time was > 30 minutes @ YVR on Dec. 31 and Priority tags came out last.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:00 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
FRA-EWR checked bag beat me to the carousel even with GE.

YLMV
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
I rarely check bags but today at Newark Terminal C arrived 30 minutes early from London with 4 checked bags (1 oversize) and I was back in my apartment in Manhattan 1 hour after touch down. So I guess the bags took 20 minutes or so. Pretty impressed. Usually I find Terminal B to be worse especially for oversized items...
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
55 mins at HKG for priority-tagged bag. At least the staff felt bad about it.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 11:21 pm

Programs: United Premier Silver
I've found IAH to be relatively quick on the occasions I check bags (week or longer trips). This morning we landed a couple minutes before 8am from PHL and I was able to breeze down to baggage claim and the luggage was on its way up within minutes. I was out the door and on the bus by 815am!

PHL is the worst. I love my city but I hate that airport. Every time I check there we wait. 45 minutes was how long it took a couple days before Christmas. We gave the carousel a Bronx cheer when it buzzed and started spitting bags out.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
FRA-EWR checked bag beat me to the carousel even with GE.

YLMV
IME, at IAD bags are delivered faster to the international arrivals side than to domestic side. On my last three international arrivals, the bags were either on the carousel after I departed GE or shortly thereafter.

On the domestic side, 20-30 minutes is the usual wait.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by halls120
IME, at IAD bags are delivered faster to the international arrivals side than to domestic side. On my last three international arrivals, the bags were either on the carousel after I departed GE or shortly thereafter.

On the domestic side, 20-30 minutes is the usual wait.
Generally agree with this statement however this past year had to wait, on average, at least 45 mins on both domestic and int'l side for bags. IAD baggage services is TERRIBLE.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
55 mins at HKG for priority-tagged bag. At least the staff felt bad about it.
Same,

Last year was the first year I ever encountered where I had to wait for my bags. Usually the bags come out before I get to the baggage claim. (I even have E-Channel)
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
(Regarding HKG)

Last year was the first year I ever encountered where I had to wait for my bags. Usually the bags come out before I get to the baggage claim. (I even have E-Channel)
Just a couple of weeks ago, I had the above experience at HKG: My bag was already on the belt by the time I got there, and I also have e-Channel, so no wait at Immigration. I did have to take a bus from a remote terminal, but my bags also had to go across the airfield to get to the belt. I almost didn't see how it was possible that they came out that quickly.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:03 pm

Had my worst experience ever at SFO on Dec 29th. Half of carousel 1 (domestic) was roped off so only one half of it was accessible. Passengers from three different flights, including a full 777, had to squeeze themselves in to tiny area. Hundreds of bags were already lined up off to the side and along the carousel which made the place even more crowded.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
How is IAD not on this list? 60 minutes last week
Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:31 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
How is IAD not on this list? 60 minutes last week
Now that sounds like the IAD I've come to experience over the years! As I stated in a previous post, I find IAD to be the worst in the entire UA system

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.