Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights [2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Must be a weight issue from dead start with enough resistance from built up snow 5-6" . Tow truck showed up. Engines off for safety while tug rocking us back and forth. Moving under tug power ... stay tuned 😆
Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Howste
Seriously? On Myth Busters I've seen jet engines blow over a school bus. Of course that may have been a 747 engine , but these ones can't handle a little speed bump? Maybe they shut off all but one engine and don't want to restart.

Disclaimer: I'm not an aerospace engineer, but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express...
Are there restrictions on how much 'throttle' the pilots can use when they get near the gates?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Leave it to UA to neglect to carry tire chains.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
Leave it to UA to neglect to carry tire chains.
And every other airline.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by Baze
And every other airline.
I'm utterly shocked! Especially since the tires don't provide any thrust (see disclaimer above).
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Interesting datapoint - this UA789 is another 739ER stuck/impacted by snow. I'm sorry, but I am increasingly less interested in flying on this aircraft. It is the same model as the runway slip and slides plaguing UA this winter season.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
Today I was flying IAH-SNA, scheduled with a 737-700. Just before boarding they announced a mechanical issue and posted a delay. Then after a while they announced the aircraft would be taken out of service, and they were looking for a replacement aircraft.

Not having faith they would find a replacement aircraft and would just cancel, a quick call to the 1K desk got me protected on the next flight (which only had 3 seats) just in case, no questions asked.

Then the gate agent said a new plane had been secured, sent us to another gate, and we departed only about an hour late. I called the 1K desk after boarding to cancel the protected segment (which she thanked me for doing).

I was quite impressed how quickly they got us out of there. It was also a reminder of the undocumented benefits of being 1K (protection on later flight) that I seem to forget sometimes.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by simmang
I was quite impressed how quickly they got us out of there. It was also a reminder of the undocumented benefits of being 1K (protection on later flight) that I seem to forget sometimes.
As a Premier or general flyer without status, you can get protection anytime a major irrops occurs or when there is a large likelihood that irrops could occur.... Only as GS have I ever been able to secure space on the next flight without question. As a 1K, the only way to guarantee space on the next flight is to purchase it up to 90 minutes of departure (one of the little perks of 1K that is really nice, especially when last minute changes occur to travel plans and flights are full) when the flight is sold out (Y=0). If there is space, you can take that space no problem, but as a 1K, they will not oversell you onto a flight if Y=0 unless you pony up the $$ within the narrow time slot prior to departure.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../services.aspx
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jjmoore
As a Premier or general flyer without status, you can get protection anytime a major irrops occurs or when there is a large likelihood that irrops could occur.... Only as GS have I ever been able to secure space on the next flight without question. As a 1K, the only way to guarantee space on the next flight is to purchase it up to 90 minutes of departure (one of the little perks of 1K that is really nice, especially when last minute changes occur to travel plans and flights are full) when the flight is sold out (Y=0). If there is space, you can take that space no problem, but as a 1K, they will not oversell you onto a flight if Y=0 unless you pony up the $$ within the narrow time slot prior to departure.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../services.aspx
It think you misunderstood me. I didn't secure space on a full flight. I asked them to book me on the next IAH-SNA flight while keeping my original flight, so in essence, I was booked on two flights concurrently -- my original flight IAH-SNA, which was questionable if/when it would depart, and the next flight IAH-SNA.

The 1K desk has done this for me several times when no cancellation has been announced, but there is a delay and there is a possibility the original flight might be cancelled or delayed beyond the next scheduled flight.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold

Stuck in IAD right now. UA260 to MCO is delayed for more than 2 hours to 12:20am. The inbound flight is now scheduled to arrive at 12:11am. Go figure! Guess the delay will be even bigger. Why don't they sub the plane?!
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold

Update: now pushed to 1:10am.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:36 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Interesting datapoint - this UA789 is another 739ER stuck/impacted by snow. I'm sorry, but I am increasingly less interested in flying on this aircraft. It is the same model as the runway slip and slides plaguing UA this winter season.
Seems to me that with the length of the 739ER fuselage that the COG is furthest away from the main landing gear and thus, like the pickup with no weight over the rear wheels, more prone to events requiring traction on icy surfaces.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Feb 4 UA 1483 SFO-IAH 787, mechanical, ultimately delayed 4.5 hours after equipment swap.

Rebooked on next SFO-IAH to preserve the connection. On a J ticket, had to take SFO-IAH in an E+ middle otherwise I wasn't making it to final destination until next day. Will deal with UA later for a goodwill gesture because of the effective downgrade due to mechanical.

RCC agent balked at issuing meal vouchers and argued there was no delay as I should make my connection, and they only issue meals for 4 hour delays or higher. I pushed back and said flight is in 1 hour, and it's Y vs. J for 3 hours, so that adds up to 4 in my book. Supervisor relented and authorized it.

2 bags checked, UA rerouted both to my new SFO-IAH flight and both scanned on that plane and off in IAH, but only 1 made the connection (they had an hour in IAH). Bag is now delayed 24 hours + courier time, so call it 28-30 hours if it makes it soon. Upside is that Oscar has bought me some new clothes.

Replacement SFO-IAH was oversold by about 8. Was glad to rebook quickly and get on it before it filled up. After it filled, they replaced the original 787 with a UA PS 757, so the whole CO crew had to get home to IAH because they cannot work the UA 757. They put them on my already full replacement flight as confirmed must-rides, hence the oversale. I could not VDB, or I'd lose a day on this trip, but they were on board asking for volunteers right up until door close. Offer went up to $700 until they got takers off the plane.

Another day in the life of United. Last mechanical was a couple weeks ago and I ended up scrapping the whole trip, so I guess this was better than that in that it was salvageable.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Feb 7 UA404 IAH-SFO (7:15am departure). Started in South America.

I'm so tired of these 787's and they are "brand new" planes. I have yet to be on one that isn't delayed due to mechanical. This morning in IAH the plane came in from Lagos, Nigeria at 4:50am. My flight arrives at 5:15am and I went to the lounge to take a quick shower. Showed up at gate E18 at 6:45a when boarding should have been well under way. No one was moving. No announcement was made until 7:05 when they decided to say that there would be a mechanical delay and they would update us as soon as possible.

Finished boarding at 7:55am but didn't push until 8:25am. Scheduled arrival in SFO at 10:34am now. Pilot pushed as hard as he could and we touched down at 9:59am - way ahead of what we should have.

But then we sat on the tarmac between 28L and 28R for 1hr25mins. Yes, 1:25! Gate 80 was occupied and SFO Ops never even called the pilot back (according to his announcement). Got off the plane at 11:30am and went to the service center as I already misconnected. Pushed for a food voucher and finally got one after the agent realized the initial delay was mechanical.

So I get a 4 hour connection in SFO that should have been less than 1 hour on the original itinerary. Should still make it home in time to join a party for the Super Bowl.

I've had it with the 787s. United can't keep them in the air without something break on *EVERY SINGLE FLIGHT*.

Customer Appreciation email came a bit after I got off the plane. I was offered 6,250 miles or $125 for my inconvenience. I took the voucher.

-RM
Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Friday night colleagues were traveling home BOS-EWR on the 6 p.m. flight ... which left PAST MIDNIGHT due to 'no/late crew'. No compensation offered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.