Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: atword
Previous threads: 2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

PCU (Premium Cabin Upsell) Nets extra PQM's and can be done at purchase or anytime before checkin if prompted. This will book into a business/first bucket.
UFC (Upgrade For Cash) is done at checkin (online, counter, lounge, gate) and will not earn extra PQM's.
TOD (Tens of Dollars); please post at another thread Post your TOD buy-up experiences here [2016 Edition]
From #198 of the TOD thread by thejaredhuang: "I think there's still a distinction (from upsell thread). This thread is more about offers at check-in, I always read TOD as Time of Departure anyways."
Print Wikipost

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by blackllotus
Do we happen to know if both upgrade prices map to the same upgraded fare class? AFAIK, pre-check-in upgrade costs map directly to the difference between buying the lowest available upgraded fare and whatever was paid for your current fare. Perhaps there's a special fare class that, for whatever reason, is accessible to non-elites via an upsell offer but is not accessible to elites. Apologies in advance if this is known to be wrong.
There is a more expensive upgradeable fare class for elites - Y or B, and M for 1Ks. There have been reports of buyup offers pricing the difference between the existing ticket and an M fare for 1Ks. While we are quick to jump on UA for specifically underselling elites, I really think the mantra applies here: "don't attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence [or stupidity]". Too many different ways to upgrade, way too many bugs in UA IT, to draw conclusions about UA's intent.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Premier Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark
There is a more expensive upgradeable fare class for elites - Y or B, and M for 1Ks. There have been reports of buyup offers pricing the difference between the existing ticket and an M fare for 1Ks. While we are quick to jump on UA for specifically underselling elites, I really think the mantra applies here: "don't attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence [or stupidity]". Too many different ways to upgrade, way too many bugs in UA IT, to draw conclusions about UA's intent.
Are there differences in costs for TODs across levels (1K, PP, etc.)? Will be flying with a silver soon...wondering what I might expect.

Another data point at T-28. Non-status companion and I are on split PNRs, wait listed on RPUs...went to check upgrade costs...I'm $562 vs. companion at $250.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
RDU-ORD
K-Fare
$269.00 To Upgrade after purchase
Declined

The K-Fare was $102 and an A Fare was $239 so this was a really stupid offer.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 2:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.3MM, Hyatt Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Tuesday IAH-AMS offer on a B Fare was the regular $649, seems to be the same offer to me whether it be U,M or B! GPU cleared so did not bother.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: UA Platinum
SFO-PHX- Offered $229 (1-way) for upgrade to business(first).

Ummmm no...

Last edited by popoemt; Jan 28, 2016 at 8:40 am
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat/P100, UA 1K 1MM
Is there anyway to tell ahead of time whether the fare you are buying up to will earn the PQM bonus? (now 200% for P fares)

I've had both happen in the past and when I've written in to receive the PQM credit I was told the type of buy-up I purchased was not eligible and that I would receive credit on the original booking class.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 4:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dmbfan222
Is there anyway to tell ahead of time whether the fare you are buying up to will earn the PQM bonus? (now 200% for P fares)
If you know the new fare class it helps. If P or Z or A, you will earn the bonus. If PN or R/RN or Zx, then no.

The wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ome-don-t.html provides more info.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: UA Platinum
PHX-SFO

1-hour out- $1239.00...

Did I mention this was PHX-SFO....?
Attached Images  
Old Jan 31, 2016, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
V fare

IAH - IAD on flatbed 752
$159 UG offer at OLCI with 5 open slots
#1 at UG list, I get CPU about 4 hours later, with presumably 2 takers on buyup as the cleared UG list did not change until after I cleared with only 2 open slots left.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
SFO-CDG-SFO
P Fare

Offered $6,000 buy-up to Int'l F just before payment details. Declined.
Immediately after payment was processed, offered buy-ups at $1,200 each way. Again declined. Much nicer seat + soup is not worth it.

Itinerary no longer shows buy-up option, only miles + co-pay.

Last edited by 1kBill; Feb 9, 2016 at 7:12 am Reason: Corrected route info
Old Feb 8, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
L Fare

Summer 2016
SFO-ORD one way ticket $181. At time of fare search result, United First (A) was $734.

Offered right after purchase: $199 to F. Took it as it was a Hawaii 777 so better F seats than normal, knowing that equipment can change anytime.

MM Gold, no miles flown on UA in 2015.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
RDU-ORD (739) tomorrow. At check in at T-24 an upgrade was offered to me for $459, I declined. At the time there were six empty seats. I checked back 90 minutes later and it's down to only 2 empty F seats but the upgrade price is now $129. I considered it but that's still too rich for my blood.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by CMK10
RDU-ORD (739) tomorrow. At check in at T-24 an upgrade was offered to me for $459, I declined. At the time there were six empty seats. I checked back 90 minutes later and it's down to only 2 empty F seats but the upgrade price is now $129. I considered it but that's still too rich for my blood.
I'm on the 9:42 am (UA798) tomorrow and got an offer to upgrade for $239 and then an hour later, it dropped to $129. I declined the offer, and then I was just upgraded now on the regular CPU.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vsgvarun
I'm on the 9:42 am (UA798) tomorrow and got an offer to upgrade for $239 and then an hour later, it dropped to $129. I declined the offer, and then I was just upgraded now on the regular CPU.
Hey the system works! I'm on the 5:09 PM and last time I checked I was #12 or something absurd on the list.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:05 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by CMK10
Hey the system works! I'm on the 5:09 PM and last time I checked I was #12 or something absurd on the list.
It rarely works for me... I am a Premier Platinum, and am upgraded less than 10% of the time on a CPU. I used to fly Delta, and got upgraded more than 75%.

Nice coincidence that we're both flying today, and also on FT though... 😀

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.