Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
2015 thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1641747-consolidated-delayed-cancelled-international-flights-2015-a.html
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2016, 12:54 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by wxguy
Real-time update!

UA 851 ORD-PEK, 1220 departure. About 50 minute delay for deicing, but then up, up, and away. About an hour out of ORD the Captain announced that there was a fault in an anti-ice valve on the #2 engine, so we could not fly through icing nor continue on a polar route. The decision was made to divert to LAX for its good weather and UA support.

Upon landing the GS rep told us there is now a 1900 decision time (about 2-1/2 hours from now), if they can fix the problem and find a new crew (pilots would obviously time out). We five GSs are protected on CA at 0040 Saturday, and hanging out at the ex-GFL above the rotunda.

ETA -- 1800 update at LAX: GS given choice of CA at midnight or UA make-up flight (2059) on Sunday morning. The same bird will be used with a new crew.
The recovery flight UA 2059 23Jan LAX-PEK was uneventful, except for a 40-minute delay when the on-board computer wouldn't sync with operation's computers. It seems that due to Russia and China overflight regulations, only certain flight numbers (i.e. pre-approved) can be used. So UA had to refile as 851A, and getting things straightened out took a while.

We had a new set of pilots, but the same FAs from the diverted 851. They did an exceptional job throughout. The load was light: 8/8F, 15/40C, and ~100Y evenly split between Y and E+. Anyone who wanted a three-seater to stretch out got one!
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by wxguy
It seems that due to Russia and China overflight regulations, only certain flight numbers (i.e. pre-approved) can be used. So UA had to refile as 851A, and getting things straightened out took a while.
Likely the case. A while ago when EWR-HKG switched flight numbers, the first flight was refused entry into Mongolia and China, circled for a while in extreme-south Russia, and eventually was diverted to Sapporo skirting just outside NE China.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by IainC
Ah, time will tell won't it? UA in La La land embarked upon the LAX-MEL route with the 789 thinking it would be a winner. They must have had some sort of business case in hand to feel it would be profitable. However, the route has been plagued with MXs and cancelled flights. Not much consumer confidence in the reliability of UA and worse in the in flight product - pay for snacks on a 13.5 h flight? Give me a break! The fact of the matter is that with all the new competition, UA is hopelessly outclassed now on the AUS-USA routes. My feeling is UA LAX-MEL is doomed.
what kind of snacks need to be paid for? I thought with the 'new' United, snacks and liquor are free in Y.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
what kind of snacks need to be paid for? I thought with the 'new' United, snacks and liquor are free in Y.
Mid-flight snacks internationally are "Buy On Board" in Y.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 9_2_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0 Mobile/13D15 Safari/601.1)

UA888 (SFO-PEK) is delayed 1:50 due to maintenance.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
UA888 (1/27) is 8:50 late due to maintenance (departed, turned around near Alaska and returned to SFO). I have a friend on the flight who said that the ETD of 8pm is an "update time". My suggestion was to have him fly to LAX to catch the 12:40a LAX-PEK on CA.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 7:15 pm

Programs: United, BA, FlyingBLue, AA
TPAC Flight Cancelled on Tarmac - No Reason Given?

Friends were on flight LAX>SYD 1/27/16. Spent 3 hours on the tarmac, waiting, Then told flight "was cancelled", with no reason given, and everyone had to disembark. Sounds like the new, ultra-friendly United we have come to know (but not love). But does this actually happen much - a TPAC or TATL flight being cancelled at the last moment with out even stating a reason?
(Obviously, given the airports, was not due to weather.)
Old Jan 28, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Plus
Sounds like the pilots ran out of duty time per the FAA rules... Or a maintenance issue... Either way they should have told you.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 7:45 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Diogenes1789
Friends were on flight LAX>SYD 1/27/16. Spent 3 hours on the tarmac, waiting, Then told flight "was cancelled", with no reason given, and everyone had to disembark. Sounds like the new, ultra-friendly United we have come to know (but not love). But does this actually happen much - a TPAC or TATL flight being cancelled at the last moment with out even stating a reason?
Web site shows cx due to maintenance. As frustrating as this is, a maintenance problem like this is a whole lot better to find on the tarmac than 2 - 3 hours into the flight over the north Pacific.

As for weather not being an issue because of the airports, SYD is regularly affected by extreme weather from fog (frequent) to fierce thunderstorms (rare). It's also lacking Cat III autoland infrastructure which means that UA flights have diverted to BNE and CBR in past because of bad weather at SYD.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diogenes1789
Was there a reason given for the 3 hour tarmac delay?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
1/29 UA24 SNN-EWR 752 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance, extra sector UA2060 on 1/30 already showing a 1h15 delay due to operational difficulties

1/29 UA875 SFO-HND 772 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
therefore 1/31 UA876 HND-SFO 772 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
Old Jan 30, 2016, 8:26 pm

UA 367 DEN-ABQ returned to KDEN today (30 Jan) - any explanation/reason known?

Saw it on FlightAware & Flightradar 24 (just tend to look at a/c above me, I live in Telluride and saw it do the 180 to return to the field - tuned into Denver Center South & KDEN Approach & Ground frequencies but no real explanation, just normal return clearances and direction by that point).
Old Feb 4, 2016, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Delayed

2/3, UA881, ORD-NRT, delayed 3h23m due to maintenance;
2/4, UA838, NRT-SFO, delayed 2h30m due to late arrival of ua881.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:55 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Delayed

UA871 SFO-TPE today 2/4/16 - arrive 2 hr 27 min late. unusual for this flight.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
UA871 SFO-TPE today 2/4/16 - arrive 2 hr 27 min late. unusual for this flight.
Held at SFO for "weather?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.