Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
2015 thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1641747-consolidated-delayed-cancelled-international-flights-2015-a.html
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
The United website says flight 98 was cancelled due to aircraft maintenance. to PhillyPh. I would grab a screen shot of that and send it in with your receipt.
Thanks for the reminder. Done.

I don't care much, I can expense of ua doesn't cover. Feel bad for the others (saw a couple in tears) that can't take the expense. Plus, you really need two nights.

Originally Posted by wrp96
If you really need to be there, I'm not certain I would risk 98 again.
I do. But more thinking I wanted to try the Nz 777.

Originally Posted by transportprof
What are the odds of both 98 and 839 cancelling on the same night? At least there's some redundancy in getting to/from Oz if one of them gets out.
Well, the problem is once you load, it's way too late for redundancy. We cancelled around 1115ish. 839 was delayed for maintenance until 1145. But 839 was loaded and closed (yet at the gate).
Old Aug 6, 2016, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40

I do. But more thinking I wanted to try the Nz 777.

I think that's a no brainer, the NZ 777 has 1-2-1 in J as opposed to UA's 2-2-2 on the B789. I still cant believe UA didn't put a brand new J cabin on these B789's. I mean, by the time they finally get around to refurbishing the B789's, its going to be 7 years down the road, unless of course UA blows the CAPEX budget out of the water and does it sooner. What a waste of money of that happens.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
I happily read this thread from DL 40 in Delta Comfort+ traveling from LAX to JFK right now and flew VA 1 from SYD-LAX on Saturday, Aug 6 in J. Saw the cancellation in SYD of UA 840 and felt very badly for those dealing with it. I had contemplated switching my DL award to UA as I could get upfront all the way thru which is not possible at the lowest redemption levels on DL any longer and directly to Providence. Had to decide at T-72 hour given DLs policies and that is around when UA actually opens good space. In the end all these cancellations were a real factor for me and it turned out we could get home an hour earlier flying to JFK and driving to Providence. No question though the data reported in another UA thread on the relatively high cancellation rate (I think it was 1.5% on UA 787s flying long haul) was a factor for me. While 1.5% doesn't seem that high the pain of dealing with this without status from SYD was a factor for me.

On the other hand we did fly our outbound on UA all the way in F/J from PVD to SYD and it was a good experience relative to other US legacy airlines. And 2-2-2 was fine traveling as a couple especially since the seats are parallel rather than facing out on VA 1. Frankly, better than I expected given all the comments I have seen here on UA service. As a loyal DL Diamond I will still be sticking to DL but UA seemed pretty good in F/J when they don't have cancellations.

Last edited by mfFrom35K; Aug 6, 2016 at 11:42 am
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:05 pm
Suspended

UA 839 LAX-SYD B789 has just cancelled...aircraft maintenance. 2nd time in 3 days. 839 also cancelled on 8/5.

This flight is still 3 hrs 40 minutes from departure, wonder what the MX issue is?

Also cancelled for today;

UA880 IAH-LHR B763 Aircraft maintenance
UA17 LHR-EWR B763 Aircraft maintenance (guessing its the same bird as UA880)

Last edited by DL2SXM; Aug 7, 2016 at 8:10 pm
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
UA 839 LAX-SYD B789 has just cancelled...aircraft maintenance. 2nd time in 3 days. 839 also cancelled on 8/5.

This flight is still 3 hrs 40 minutes from departure, wonder what the MX issue is?
I'll bet it had something to do with it being Sunday night. The right person and/or part wasn't within reach at this time.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 9:21 pm
Suspended

I'll bet it had something to do with it being Sunday night. The right person and/or part wasn't within reach at this time.
where does the LAX-SYD plane come from, IAH?

A part cant be flown down from SFO?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 9:26 pm

Things that could happen Monday to Friday/Saturday often get harder to accomplish on a Sunday given who is, and isn't, on duty those days.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Things that could happen Monday to Friday/Saturday often get harder to accomplish on a Sunday given who is, and isn't, on duty those days.
Sorry but I don't think that excuse really cuts the mustard for a supposed world leading international airline. If there are not enough delegation-of-authority redundancies to minimize the day of week impact to ops, that's a far bigger issue than the fact that a few flights are cancelled to begin with.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 6:20 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P

My LAX-SYD (a 789) a few weeks ago came from PVG with 6 hrs between flights.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Sorry but I don't think that excuse really cuts the mustard for a supposed world leading international airline. If there are not enough delegation-of-authority redundancies to minimize the day of week impact to ops, that's a far bigger issue than the fact that a few flights are cancelled to begin with.
I completely agree. But I wasn't endorsing a policy of leaving the front line staff to their own devices on Sundays, just speculating, based on what I've observed in my travels over the last few years. I now go out of my way to avoid booking Sunday night flights, for this reason.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: United Premier Silver
UA 1008 BOG-IAH is sitting on a 5hr 40min delay for aircraft maintenance.

I have been tracking this plane (737 #3729) because it is showing to be my ride to PHL tomorrow morning.

The IAH-BOG portion last night landed early and then it immediately posted a 4hr delay for today's flt 1008 for mechanical (part being flown in?).
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
What are the odds of both 98 and 839 cancelling on the same night? At least there's some redundancy in getting to/from Oz if one of them gets out.
When our flight SFO-SYD was cancelled July 13, there was already backlog from a Monday LAX to Australia cancellation and SYD to LAX cancellation, so all flights were full of re-booked passengers. We were lucky to be rebooked onto Friday's flight to SYD via AKL.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I've noticed there aren't 2 LAX-SYD flights for today, thought that would usually happen, or is it only when cancellation occurs at the Oz end?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 3:24 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
I've noticed there aren't 2 LAX-SYD flights for today, thought that would usually happen, or is it only when cancellation occurs at the Oz end?
Aren't the 2 daily LAX-SYD flights only a seasonal feature for the Oz summer holiday period?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
UA974 8/8 IAD-GVA 763 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA975 8/9 GVA-IAD 763 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance

UA896 8/9 HKG-ORD 772 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA922 8/9 LHR-EWR 763 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.