Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2016)

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2016)

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 28, 16, 2:24 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: l'etoile
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 26, 16, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TA View Post

-- Does UA not have enough mechanics to timely address all the things that should be repaired to send aircraft out in flyable condition? .
This is of course very anecdotal, but 2 years ago I was sitting next to a gentleman from Pratt and Whitney on a SIN-NRT flight. We got to talking about United, and in particular, the state on their maintenance operations. He said that what Tilton started, Smisek continued - which was increasing reliance on outside contractors to the detriment of UA's in house personnel. He said that in particular, the SFO MRO was a shadow of its former self.
Old Jul 26, 16, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
UA110 EWR-LHR cancelled due to mechanical 20 min before boarding...763 equip. I am rebooked on the 9:10pm.

Interestingly, the app sent a notification at 7am EST stating the flight was cancelled (about 12 hrs ahead). Logged in to United.com to look for other options and no mention that the flight was axed. United.com showed on schedule; called UA twice and mentioned the notification - said it was a glitch and flight was/is not cancelled even though seat map showed half full. All day long showed on schedule...really annoying.
Old Jul 26, 16, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
895 diversion on 7/24

Did we ever learn what caused this diversion? They were well north of Fairbanks on ORD-HKG, when they did a U-turn back to SFO.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...820Z/KORD/KSFO

It clearly couldn't have been that serious or they would have put down sooner, but by that point it wasn't THAT much farther to HKG than SFO (OK, a couple thousand miles, but you get my point). Just curious what happened. (Plus I'm on 896 home from SIN next week, so some personal interest...)
Old Jul 26, 16, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Originally Posted by JDT1955 View Post
Did we ever learn what caused this diversion? They were well north of Fairbanks on ORD-HKG, when they did a U-turn back to SFO.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...820Z/KORD/KSFO

It clearly couldn't have been that serious or they would have put down sooner, but by that point it wasn't THAT much farther to HKG than SFO (OK, a couple thousand miles, but you get my point). Just curious what happened. (Plus I'm on 896 home from SIN next week, so some personal interest...)
whatever it was, it was deemed safe to fly to SFO and it is easier for them to do MX and swap frames at SFO than anywhere else along the way (save, perhaps NRT). one reason they may not have continued to NRT is that whatever the issue was resulted in insufficient ETOPS clearance...?

putting a crippled 772 down in ANC or SEA would require the relief crew to fly to ANC or SEA then on to HKG, perhaps putting them at risk of timing out by the time they got boarded up and out of ANC.

so everyone was forced to spend that much more time on the UA plane to get to SFO, but this probably gave them the best shot of getting the pax to HKG in a "timely" manner with minimal additional disruption.

just an outsider perspective...no inside info whatsoever.
Old Jul 27, 16, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
whatever it was, it was deemed safe to fly to SFO and it is easier for them to do MX and swap frames at SFO than anywhere else along the way (save, perhaps NRT). one reason they may not have continued to NRT is that whatever the issue was resulted in insufficient ETOPS clearance...?

putting a crippled 772 down in ANC or SEA would require the relief crew to fly to ANC or SEA then on to HKG, perhaps putting them at risk of timing out by the time they got boarded up and out of ANC.

so everyone was forced to spend that much more time on the UA plane to get to SFO, but this probably gave them the best shot of getting the pax to HKG in a "timely" manner with minimal additional disruption.

just an outsider perspective...no inside info whatsoever.
That's clearly the rationale and probably the best option. It would be interesting to hear from someone on the flight as to just what happened. Must have been a LOT of unhappy campers when they pulled a U-ey over Nome...
Old Jul 27, 16, 3:00 pm

7/27 UA896 HKG-ORD massively delayed, departing at 3AM and scheduled to get here at 4:30 tomorrow morning, 14:29 late. At first I thought this was a knock on effect from the diversion above, but that was YESTERDAY'S flight, so this is some new bit of malfeasance afoot. Anyone know what happened?
Old Jul 27, 16, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Wow, the HKG staff, especially GS reps, must be exhausted. 4 days in a row with a 747 mx
Old Jul 27, 16, 5:09 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ Silver, IHG Plat Amb, MR Gold, SL Jade
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj View Post
Wow, the HKG staff, especially GS reps, must be exhausted. 4 days in a row with a 747 mx
I think ORD-HKG and vv is a 777 now, if that's what you were referring to. But it doesn't diminish your argument!
Old Jul 27, 16, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by kluau88 View Post
The trickle down effect from Sunday's issues with UA 895 ORD-HKG diverting to SFO.

7/27 UA 896 HKG-ORD (N795UA) estimated departure at 2345, 12 hours 5 minutes late and estimated arrival at 0043, 10 hours 43 minutes late due to operational difficulties.
Originally Posted by JDT1955 View Post
7/27 UA896 HKG-ORD massively delayed, departing at 3AM and scheduled to get here at 4:30 tomorrow morning, 14:29 late. At first I thought this was a knock on effect from the diversion above, but that was YESTERDAY'S flight, so this is some new bit of malfeasance afoot. Anyone know what happened?
See above. I think the flight delayed further probably due to "operations," as in issue with the immigration facility hours at ORD.

7/26 UA 895 ORD-HKG (N224UA) returned to gate. Departed at 1436, 1 hour 16 minutes late and arrived at 1913, 1 hour 3 minutes late due to aircraft maintenance.

7/27 UA 851 ORD-PEK (N120UA) departed at 2026, 7 hours 31 minutes late and estimated to arrive at 2206, 6 hours 51 minutes late due to aircraft maintenance.
Ironically this is the same plane that had issues with the landing gear, which caused UA 862 HKG-SFO to cancel on 7/24.

7/27 UA 869 SFO-HKG (N182UA) departed at 1542, 1 hour 52 minutes late and estimated to arrive at 1948, 1 hour 8 minutes late due to aircraft maintenance.
Old Jul 27, 16, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plat, SPG/M P75 and few from CC
UA 851 ORD-PEK 744 running 6hr 51min late
UA 836 ORD-PVG 744 running 1hr 27min late.

They swapped the equipments for above 2 flts sometime early morning on 27th. Probably due to the fact that 744 to PVG turns around immediately while 744 to PEK has a buffer of whole night before operating UA 889 PEK-SFO
Old Jul 27, 16, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
All big loads anyway. Takes the shine off of HKG. Certainly did for me on Monday anyway.
Old Jul 27, 16, 9:37 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj View Post
All big loads anyway. Takes the shine off of HKG. Certainly did for me on Monday anyway.
Lots of competition here in HKG. Last summer was much of the same also.
Old Jul 28, 16, 3:12 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by kluau88 View Post

My guess is it probably will ferry back on July 24.
Re: UA1 cancelling 7/20 and extra segment UA2061 on 7/21 SFO-SIN.

I departed SIN again on the 25th (Monday) and there was an extra UA 789 sitting on the tarmac. In fact, the 777 going to HKG and the 789 going to SFO were both still connected to their respective gates at 8:00am. So HKG must have left very late that day or cancelled. SFO may have been on time. And the other 789 was sitting on the tarmac with a stairway connected to it but no activity around it.

Does anyone know if UA ferried the 789 back to somewhere from SIN or did they operate an extra segment at some point this week SIN-SFO?

I'm arriving back in SIN tomorrow night from China and will see what UA equipment is there (if any). I'm out again super early Saturday morning.

-RM
Old Jul 28, 16, 3:34 am

Programs: UAL GS; Delta Gold Medallion (2 mio +); American; Hyatt Platinum Passport, Omni Platinum
Was NRT/IAD cancelled today? On ICN/SFO and it is packed to the gills
Old Jul 28, 16, 4:02 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ Silver, IHG Plat Amb, MR Gold, SL Jade
Originally Posted by manstein58 View Post
Was NRT/IAD cancelled today? On ICN/SFO and it is packed to the gills
Yes. 804 cancelled for maintenance

Search this Thread