Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
2015 thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1641747-consolidated-delayed-cancelled-international-flights-2015-a.html
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
I saw this one and I was like, an international flight, on a 747 nonetheless, cancels for this reason? How does UA allow this to happen?
I've been tracking 837 on 7.23 because I booked 838 on 7.24, it's been MX from the beginning and they finally cancelled it after last update of 7 hours 20 mins delay and change the reason to catering...

I got rebooked on 804 NRT-IAD after 838 was cancelled, but was surprised to see 804 left with 2 empty seats, shouldn't UA filled every single seat in this kind of cancellation?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by gokeeper
I've been tracking 837 on 7.23 because I booked 838 on 7.24, it's been MX from the beginning and they finally cancelled it after last update of 7 hours 20 mins delay and change the reason to catering...

I got rebooked on 804 NRT-IAD after 838 was cancelled, but was surprised to see 804 left with 2 empty seats, shouldn't UA filled every single seat in this kind of cancellation?
one would think. UA must have had lots of empty seats on the other ex NRT - USA flights.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
For most pax booked NRT-SFO, NRT-IAD isn't really a solution. There are numerous better options for pax terminating anywhere except the SE US.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
typical UA

i really wish the DOT would pay more attention to this kind of stuff
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by PBAudit
In Hong Kong today, Sunday 7/24.

UA 180 - HKG-EWR - Redirected to SFO. The flight just recently left HKG. Not sure why it will stop in SFO (crew rest?, refueling?). Schedule to arrive in SFO @ 7:59 am, and then depart to EWR @ 8:35 (a 36 minute stopover)?

UA 862 - HKG-SFO - Returned to terminal (Maintenance). New flight time is 1:38 (2 hours and 8 minutes).
Originally Posted by Quokka
UA 837 SFO-NRT Sat Jul 23, 2016

"Canceled due to catering difficulties"? Seriously?
I wonder if there was an issue with the cart lift for the galley in the Upper Deck.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:40 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by kluau88
I wonder if there was an issue with the cart lift for the galley in the Upper Deck.
Then that, as we all know, would/should be an mx issue
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
UA 2083 made it! Moderate delay due to wind. Thennnnnnn, random customs search!
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
typical UA

i really wish the DOT would pay more attention to this kind of stuff
In line with the spirit of the 3- or 4-hour tarmac limit, there should be a limit for accumulating delays. EU paying $660 after just a four-hour delay may sound ridiculous, but if you're delayed 6-10 hours and kept in and around the plane and terminal, they should be forced to pay each passenger $200-400 if at-least-partially caused by mechanical.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
UA43 FCO-IAD 772 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA895 HKG-SIN 772 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA1445 STT-IAD 738 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA36 EWR-EDI 752 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA167 LIS-IAD 752 5 hrs late due to aircraft maintenance
UA170 EWR-VCE 764 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA38 EWR-OSL 752 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA90 EWR-TLV 772 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance

amazing. No wonder UA trails Delta in any conceivable measure of revenue and customer satisfaction.

Last edited by cfischer; Jul 26, 2016 at 5:12 am
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
The trickle down effect from Sunday's issues with UA 895 ORD-HKG diverting to SFO.

7/27 UA 896 HKG-ORD (N795UA) estimated departure at 2345, 12 hours 5 minutes late and estimated arrival at 0043, 10 hours 43 minutes late due to operational difficulties.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:29 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Some thoughts please. I have been on a number of cancelled flights, well more accurately been on a number of replacement flights as my flights have been cancelled, and have taken the appreciation offers, but the most recent experience at the weekend really upset me as it seems to be a pattern and I have ended up out of pocket. The last two replacement flights have been delayed and si I missed the connecting flights that UA had rescheduled. December they refused to put me on a non-stop flight FRA-CAI as only J seats were available and rputed me through LHR causing me to miss my tour of Alexandria, but FRA is not a UA hub so just took it with a grain of salt.

I always book a flight allowing plenty of time for connections, but UA rebooks me with much closer connection times and are invariably late.

However, this last weekend, the PVG-LAX flight was cancelled and the replacement flight was late so I missed the 10.30am flight UA had booked me on and next flight was not until 9.30pm. They then switched me to AA for 1
45pm departure but AA wanted luggage fees even though I pointed out I was transferring from an international flight, so I ended up having a car drive me from LAX to SAN. I sent a note to UA telling them of their horrible customer service as there were many of us in J class that missed connecting flights and they had no one at the terminal where we arrived to assist us except give us an orange "close connection" card and as I have Global Entry that was completely useless.

I contacted UA about this completely dreadful customer service experience but have not heard back from them.

My question is whether I can claim the GBP600 as this would help alleviate my additional costs and compensate me for the lost day I will not get back with my son.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cfischer
This frame, N787UA, was supposed to be UA41 FCO-EWR on 7/24 and then UA43 FCO-IAD on 7/25. It's still sitting in Rome and is supposed to ferry to IAD on 7/27 as UA2144. From there it's doing 7/27 UA918 IAD-LHR and then my flight 7/28 UA935 LHR-LAX. It will be interesting to see if this frame makes it to LHR in time for my flight.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
The problem is when the plane cancels on the morning of 7/21 (12:30am), you can't search for a hotel room on 7/20. The only option is to call each and every hotel near the airport (which I tried) or the Marriott/SPG/Hilton, etc. main lines. I ultimately got lucky calling the SPG main line as the Marriott Plat line was 20 minutes on hold and still no answer. Ridiculous.
I had this happen in YYZ in June - late flight from IAD landed at 12:30am, 1.5 hour delay or so. Was gonna take the train home, but it was going to be a close call as to whether we would make it, and being with the infant made it trickier. Decided to just book the airport Marriott, which I couldn't do online because of he date issue mentioned. Luckily, I got through on the phone right away and was able to book it. You'd think the website would be able to keep the option open for a few hours to book a room.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I had this happen in YYZ in June - late flight from IAD landed at 12:30am, 1.5 hour delay or so. Was gonna take the train home, but it was going to be a close call as to whether we would make it, and being with the infant made it trickier. Decided to just book the airport Marriott, which I couldn't do online because of he date issue mentioned. Luckily, I got through on the phone right away and was able to book it. You'd think the website would be able to keep the option open for a few hours to book a room.
Others mentioned a neat trick to deal with this issue when it came up before - change the time on your phone to Hawaii time - or some time zone still in the prior day - and then try again.....
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:04 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
UA895 HKG-SIN 772 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA1445 STT-IAD 738 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA36 EWR-EDI 752 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA167 LIS-IAD 752 5 hrs late due to aircraft maintenance
UA170 EWR-VCE 764 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA38 EWR-OSL 752 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA90 EWR-TLV 772 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance

amazing. No wonder UA trails Delta in any conceivable measure of revenue and customer satisfaction.
So, not to take this as a representative sample -- but going on an earlier question I was curious about:

What is the explanation for how frequently UA seems to have mechanical cancellations compared to other airlines?

-- Is it that they have trouble predicting/forecasting when a mechanical issue will arise, and so are unprepared to resolve unexpected equipment "breakage" in time to save the flight?

-- Is it that they allow a larger proportion of non-mandatory fix items build and accumulate to the point that they have to cancel?

-- Does UA not have enough mechanics to timely address all the things that should be repaired to send aircraft out in flyable condition?

-- Is UA taking a very cost-driven maintenance approach to avoid unnecessary maintenance, expecting that the cost of cancellation is less than doing more maintenance?

Just curious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.