Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2016)

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2016)

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 28, 16, 2:24 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: l'etoile
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 13, 16, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Originally Posted by aussieinsf View Post
UA 927 PAX moved to new flight UA 2082 scheduled for 3pm departure today, now delayed 2 hours 25 minutes. My wife was in business class traveling with disability assistance (she's on crutches) and UA's handling of overnight accommodations was appalling. She had to share a room with another PAX as the hotel they sent people to had insufficient rooms for those sent there. Only one meal was available in the evening which she shared with other PAX. In the morning there was no food available for breakfast. Ground transfers to the hotel were taking so long she took a taxi both ways (she has to elevate her leg frequently).

Compensation offered was 17,500 miles (plus I imagine a successful EU261 claim).
UA at its finest. A truly exclusive business class experience as always.
Old Jul 13, 16, 8:10 pm

7/13 UA 58 SFO-FRA (N107UA) departed at 1528, 1 hour 23 minutes late and estimated to arrive at 1051, 56 minutes late due to late inbound. Inbound arrived at 1324, 9 minutes late from LHR.

7/13 UA 901 SFO-LHR (N121UA) departed at 1635, 3 hours 45 minutes late and estimated to arrive at 1018, 3 hours 8 minutes late due to aircraft maintenance.

7/13 UA 851 ORD-PEK (N117UA) estimated departure at 1000, 21 hours 5 minutes late and estimated arrival at 1204, 20 hours 49 minutes late due to severe weather conditions. Odd one here because the inbound arrived at 1536, 39 minutes early. My guess is the delay reason is wrong on this one.
Old Jul 13, 16, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by kluau88 View Post
7/13 UA 58 SFO-FRA (N107UA) departed at 1528, 1 hour 23 minutes late and estimated to arrive at 1051, 56 minutes late due to late inbound. Inbound arrived at 1324, 9 minutes late from LHR.

7/13 UA 901 SFO-LHR (N121UA) departed at 1635, 3 hours 45 minutes late and estimated to arrive at 1018, 3 hours 8 minutes late due to aircraft maintenance.

7/13 UA 851 ORD-PEK (N117UA) estimated departure at 1000, 21 hours 5 minutes late and estimated arrival at 1204, 20 hours 49 minutes late due to severe weather conditions. Odd one here because the inbound arrived at 1536, 39 minutes early. My guess is the delay reason is wrong on this one.
851 was scheduled for 12:55 today, at which time the "weather" was somewhere over Iowa. Clearly, either the original frame went mx or they're down a 747 at ORD. They ended up waiting for 850 inbound from PEK, which arrived 39 minutes early at 1536, but by the time it got ferried over to C, the weather had gone south (though not really so bad), hence the cancellation til tomorrow.
Old Jul 14, 16, 1:05 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Plat, Honors Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Wyndham Plat, National Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by JDT1955 View Post
851 was scheduled for 12:55 today, at which time the "weather" was somewhere over Iowa. Clearly, either the original frame went mx or they're down a 747 at ORD. They ended up waiting for 850 inbound from PEK, which arrived 39 minutes early at 1536, but by the time it got ferried over to C, the weather had gone south (though not really so bad), hence the cancellation til tomorrow.
Based on my experience living in China and dealing with Chinese airspace issues is that the weather could have been in this end. It is not uncommon, at this time of year, for flights to be significantly delayed in China though the usual excuse is air traffic control not weather.
Old Jul 14, 16, 1:56 am

Programs: MileagePlus GS
UA946 from IAD-AMS on the 13th left almost four hours late, resulting in the hour or more delay of UA 908. What's annoying is not only UA's dismal reliability issues but:

- I will miss my connecting flight in ORD and my third flight of the day from DEN.
- The following flight has no First seats because they have upgraded four people already and I'm on a paid BusinessFirst D fair.
- Why not hold seats for missed international connections and upgrade at the gate with leftover seats or once they know for sure connects will be missed?
-The ORD-AMS flight will be slightly delayed but will arrive one hour before the delayed IAD-AMS, both are 763's. Why can't the 908 use the ORD metal as the return IAD flight departs an hour later? If they did this both flight would be on time.

No amount of Polaris Polishing is going to change the fact that UA is very unreliable in regards to their international operations.
Old Jul 14, 16, 6:44 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Today's 851 ORD-PEK was cancelled and replaced by 2095 departing at the same time. Still a 747 showing as the same equipment (arriving late from PVG yesterday). In the process, it looks like they jumbled up everyone's seat assignments. GS didn't have an explanation.
Why would this happen?

*** UPDATE ***
Think I figured it out. Yesterday's 851 was delayed until today departing 21 hours late. Probably changed flight number to avoid confusion. Still doesn't explain the rampant seat changes.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 14, 16 at 11:34 am
Old Jul 14, 16, 6:53 am

Pretty rough night at SFO.

7/13 UA 863 SFO-SYD cancelled due to aircraft maintenance.

7/13 UA 930 SFO-LHR departed at 0233, 6 hours and 58 minutes late and estimated to arrive at 2022, 6 hours 12 minutes late due to aircraft maintenance.

Let's just say the agents working the United Club in the international terminal weren't all too happy at 0100 😅
Old Jul 14, 16, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
UA at its finest. A truly exclusive business class experience as always.
Got more details from my wife when she arrived home today finally. The hotel was a shambles - one of the PAX described it as a 1970s poconos camp type experience. Her dinner (shared with three others) was only obtained after an extended altercation with the hotel restaurant manager. Staff were rude and As an unaccompanied woman my wife felt unsafe as there were a set of leering local men at the hotel bar who "engaged" with PAX.
The paper united gave with a local number to call for assistance and to arrange return transport to FRA actually included a number of a local trucking company. On return to Frankfurt the following day PAX had the UA service director (who was adamant PAX were given the right number) dial it directly and she got through to the trucking company. Hopefully UA fixes that.

Return transport for PAX with special needs was promised but never actually arranged, so People took taxis back to the terminal.

UA used the newly arrived aircraft from SF to get my wife and her flight home then cancelled UA 927 for a second day. So it sounds like they have a difficult to repair 747 with a fuel leak stuck in FRA.

Hopefully todays 927 PAX were treated better overnight.

All classes of service including first class were sent to this unsafe dump of a hotel.
Old Jul 14, 16, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by jjmoore View Post
If you accept the offered compensation, does that absolve UA from honoring EU261?

Not knowing the answer to that, I would try to iron out EU261 comp, then go in and accept the miles.
You can only waive that right explicitly in writing. Nothing in the 17,500 mile offer terms did that so I expect the claim to be approved. There's a discussion about this on the EU261 thread.
Old Jul 14, 16, 8:50 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Got more details from my wife when she arrived home today finally. The hotel was a shambles - one of the PAX described it as a 1970s poconos camp type experience. Her dinner (shared with three others) was only obtained after an extended altercation with the hotel restaurant manager. Staff were rude and As an unaccompanied woman my wife felt unsafe as there were a set of leering local men at the hotel bar who "engaged" with PAX.
The paper united gave with a local number to call for assistance and to arrange return transport to FRA actually included a number of a local trucking company. On return to Frankfurt the following day PAX had the UA service director (who was adamant PAX were given the right number) dial it directly and she got through to the trucking company. Hopefully UA fixes that.

Return transport for PAX with special needs was promised but never actually arranged, so People took taxis back to the terminal.

UA used the newly arrived aircraft from SF to get my wife and her flight home then cancelled UA 927 for a second day. So it sounds like they have a difficult to repair 747 with a fuel leak stuck in FRA.

All classes of service including first class were sent to this unsafe dump of a hotel.
I'm wondering, in these sorts of situations where the whole plane gets rebooked, is it better just to find your own hotel / transport, and then deal with any rebooking issues on the phone? (At least in EU261 situations you should have your costs covered, in addition the delay compensation?)
Old Jul 14, 16, 9:41 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, DL Diamond and 1MM, UA, AA
Originally Posted by televisor View Post
I'm wondering, in these sorts of situations where the whole plane gets rebooked, is it better just to find your own hotel / transport, and then deal with any rebooking issues on the phone? (At least in EU261 situations you should have your costs covered, in addition the delay compensation?)
United FT'ers in this situation have posted it's better to self-help, keep receipts, and submitt to United for reimbursement.

Personally, I am shocked that a biz-class pax has to wait for a hotel accommodation, and then get put into a dump with a random roomie. I'd expect, say, an ME3 airline to pull that kind of mis-treatment on its coach passengers (only).

OP's wife treatment was so bad, in hindsight, an unreimbured decent hotel would have been preferable to a free dump.
Old Jul 14, 16, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient

Return transport for PAX with special needs was promised but never actually arranged, so People took taxis back to the terminal
I would strongly suggest a concise, clear depiction of the facts of this case be sent directly to Oscar with customer care/1K voice copied. If this wasn't UA, I would say it is simply unbelievable, but with UA sadly nothing falls in that category anymore.
Old Jul 14, 16, 10:15 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM ★G | DL Silver | Marriott LT Ti | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre

With UA's partnership with Marriott, I can't believe that they couldn't secure blocks of rooms in the Marriott or the Courtyard (both of which are 10mi or less from the airport)... those hotels are wide open tonight, and I couldn't see them being full a couple nights ago in a way that they couldn't accommodate a single pax.

Email Oscar.
Old Jul 14, 16, 12:36 pm

Thanks for the responses. The situation is fully documented in notes attached to my wife's PNR and I'll suggest she compile that and send to the CEO. I too was appalled at how badly this was handled given that dealing with cancellations at FRA is hardly an unexpected circumstance at a remote out station.

As soon as her flight was cancelled I suggested she just leave to go to a hotel I could find at the airport and we deal with it with united later. That's always been my approach to accommodation during irrops.

She chose to stay with the small group of other disability assistance passengers who by that time had bonded and we're looking out for each other in different ways (some translating for others, some had food, some had money for the taxis, some with certain issues could assist my wife who had mobility issues). She shared her room and meal with those others and they got through it together.
Old Jul 14, 16, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jjmoore View Post
Anyone have details on UA929 (N642UA) B767-300 that went mx yesterday just after departing LHR, diverting to EDI, cancelling.... then UA 2081 today (make-up leg) took off and immediately diverted back to EDI.... what happened here? That tail shows no further planned trips. Hopefully most pax found their way onto the regularly scheduled EDI-ORD flight and got out of there.
Looks like a fuel issue -- possibly a fuel leak in an engine:

http://avherald.com/h?article=49b0cd4e&opt=0

A United Boeing 767-300, registration N642UA performing flight UA-929 from London Heathrow,EN (UK) to Chicago O'Hare,IL (USA) with 119 passengers and 11 crew, was enroute at FL320 about 50nm west of Edinburgh,SC (UK) when the crew reported a possible fuel issue and decided to divert to Edinburgh. The aircraft landed safely on Edinburgh's runway 24 about one hour later. After landing the crew requested emergency services to inspect the right hand side of the aircraft.

The remainder of the flight was cancelled.

The occurrence aircraft is still on the ground in Edinburgh about 8 hours after landing.
Same issue the next day for the ferry flight:

http://avherald.com/h?article=49b1b418&opt=0

A United Boeing 767-300, registration N642UA performing positioning flight UA-2081 from Edinburgh,SC (UK) to Chicago O'Hare,IL (USA) with 11 crew, was climbing through FL220 out of Edinburgh when the crew stopped the climb due to fuel issues and entered a hold at FL180. The aircraft subsequently returned to Edinburgh for a safe landing on runway 24 about 65 minutes after departure, vacated the runway and stopped. Attending emergency services reported a strong smell of fuel, the engines were shut down and the aircraft was towed to the apron.

The airline reported the aircraft, that was carrying 11 crew and no passengers, returned due to a mechanical issue.
It appears that N642UA is still on the ground at EDI

Search this Thread