Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2016)

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2016)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 28, 16, 2:24 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: l'etoile
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 4, 16, 8:00 am
  #706  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: EWR, BDL
Posts: 4,463
Originally Posted by transportbiz View Post
The written story is all referencing 787. The newscast clip refers to a "triple 7".

Today's media mantra is "better to be first, than to be right".
Not when I read it article clearly said 777. It may have changed when you read it.
JOSECONLSCREW28 is online now  
Old Jul 4, 16, 8:40 am
  #707  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Posts: 9,590
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28 View Post
Person who wrote the story must've not known the flight changed to a 787 months ago.
308 people on 787? Even with crew, that seems a bit high. A few dozen lap children?
fastair is offline  
Old Jul 4, 16, 9:59 am
  #708  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Posts: 2,596
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28 View Post
Not when I read it article clearly said 777. It may have changed when you read it.
Below is the text of the article as it reads now. As I said, sloppy journalism in the interest of speed, often create mistakes. Those mistakes are frequently pointed out to editors by readers. The good and bad about online is that "facts" can be changed.

The video clip obviously still contains the error, and it's not editable.

Sydney to LA Flight UA840 struck a flock of birds about 10.15am
The pilot turned the Boeing 787 around and dumped fuel over the ocean
Emergency services met the aircraft on the tarmac at Sydney Airport
There were 308 passengers on board
They remain at Sydney Airport

Fire crews were diverted to meet the Boeing 787 as it returned to Sydney.

....

The flight was carrying 308 passengers on board at the time of the midair emergency and passengers have praised the efforts of crew and staff.
....

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 4, 16 at 11:02 am Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#copyrighted
transportbiz is offline  
Old Jul 4, 16, 10:03 am
  #709  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: EWR, BDL
Posts: 4,463
Originally Posted by transportbiz View Post
Below is the text of the article as it reads now. As I said, sloppy journalism in the interest of speed, often create mistakes. Those mistakes are frequently pointed out to editors by readers. The good and bad about online is that "facts" can be changed.

The video clip obviously still contains the error, and it's not editable.

Sydney to LA Flight UA840 struck a flock of birds about 10.15am
The pilot turned the Boeing 787 around and dumped fuel over the ocean
Emergency services met the aircraft on the tarmac at Sydney Airport
There were 308 passengers on board
They remain at Sydney Airport

Fire crews were diverted to meet the Boeing 787 as it returned to Sydney.

....

The flight was carrying 308 passengers on board at the time of the midair emergency and passengers have praised the efforts of crew and staff.
....
Story was obviously edited as when I first read it said 777.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 4, 16 at 11:03 am Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
JOSECONLSCREW28 is online now  
Old Jul 4, 16, 10:04 am
  #710  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 41,378
Originally Posted by transportbiz View Post
Below is the text of the article as it reads now. As I said, sloppy journalism in the interest of speed, often create mistakes. Those mistakes are frequently pointed out to editors by readers. The good and bad about online is that "facts" can be changed.
The disconnect here is the UA 789 carries a max of 252 pax. So not sure where the 308 figure is coming from.
Kacee is offline  
Old Jul 4, 16, 10:59 am
  #711  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SEA
Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Posts: 7,360
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28 View Post
Story was obviously edited as when I first read it said 777.
Yep, it said 777 when I read it too. I think it's terrifically unprofessional of them to make corrections to the article without noting that in the footnotes.
PVDtoDEL is offline  
Old Jul 4, 16, 1:11 pm
  #712  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Posts: 2,714
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL View Post
Yep, it said 777 when I read it too. I think it's terrifically unprofessional of them to make corrections to the article without noting that in the footnotes.
The TV reporter in the video also says it was bound for San Francisco...
1K-SFO is offline  
Old Jul 4, 16, 2:14 pm
  #713  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Posts: 3,311
Rough couple days LHR-IAD. 7/2 777mx, 7/4 752mx. 777 from 7/2 left with ~8 in bf, ~40 in Y as Ua2118 on 7/4.
PhillyPhlyer40 is offline  
Old Jul 5, 16, 4:42 pm
  #714  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Francisco
Programs: UA 1K since 1998; 3 Million Miler; ex-GS; DL Diamond Medallion since 2015
Posts: 1,010
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28 View Post
Yup for some reason they decided to use the 777 intended for FCO for the HKG flight instead.
I was on that delayed ORD-HKG flight. It was great meeting and chatting with goodeats21. Then to make matters worse, the already delayed next flight segment HKG-SIN (same 777 aircraft) had a mechanical issue and was even further delayed.
tealeaf99 is offline  
Old Jul 5, 16, 7:05 pm
  #715  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Programs: United GS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Posts: 101
SFO-HKG
We just take off about an hour ago, so it is delayed by about 3 hours....

1kvoice better offer me some compensation
hdfdisk is offline  
Old Jul 5, 16, 7:15 pm
  #716  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 47,622
Originally Posted by hdfdisk View Post
SFO-HKG
We just take off about an hour ago, so it is delayed by about 3 hours....

1kvoice better offer me some compensation
If your arrival delay is under 3 hours, probably best to assume you will get nothing. Rare for under 4 hours delayed arrival to get anything nowadays.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jul 5, 16, 8:19 pm
  #717  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: EWR, BDL
Posts: 4,463
Originally Posted by tealeaf99 View Post
I was on that delayed ORD-HKG flight. It was great meeting and chatting with goodeats21. Then to make matters worse, the already delayed next flight segment HKG-SIN (same 777 aircraft) had a mechanical issue and was even further delayed.
I should've been more clear I meant the canceled EWR-FCO flight that was originally to use the aircraft that flew EWR-HKG that day. Sorry about that.
JOSECONLSCREW28 is online now  
Old Jul 6, 16, 3:54 am
  #718  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SFO/HKG/SIN - United 1K MM / SPG Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 5,036
More 744 issues..

7/5 UA 851 ORD-PEK (N197UA) departed at 1704, 4 hours 9 minutes late and estimated to arrive at 1853, 3 hours 38 minutes late due to aircraft maintenance.

7/5 UA 901 SFO-LHR (N178UA) departed at 1743, 4 hours 53 minutes late and estimated to arrive at 1136, 4 hours 26 minutes late due to aircraft maintenance.

7/6 UA 900 LHR-SFO (N178UA) estimated to depart at 1315, 2 hours 50 minutes late and estimated to arrive at 1541, 2 hours, 26 minutes late due to late inbound.
kluau88 is offline  
Old Jul 7, 16, 1:01 am
  #719  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Amsterdam
Programs: MileagePlus GS
Posts: 352
Here we go again. UA 908 AMS-ORD will be almost 5 hours late today due to late inbound from IAD. These delays seem to be more frequent lately and a blow to UA's already fragile operations.
texas gold is offline  
Old Jul 7, 16, 2:59 am
  #720  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SNA
Programs: United Global Services 2MM, Marriott Ambassador, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry/NEXUS
Posts: 137
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
I always wonder what 'dumping fuel' entails - it certainly doesn't seem environmentally friendly (yes, I know that people's lives are more important) - just wondering if it literally means they are dropping jet kerosene out of the tanks?
That is exactly what it means. There are various FAA and EASA regulations that govern the requirements and processes that the airframe manufacturers have to meet as part of their safety certification process.
laughinlab2001 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread