Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
2015 thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1641747-consolidated-delayed-cancelled-international-flights-2015-a.html
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
ATC does not control which flights are cancelled. Ops does. Once a GDP program is issued, or other restrictions are put in place Ops decides who goes and who doesn't. I was on a UA Express IAD-YYZ last summer, got a 30m delay for storms in YYZ, then a 2h30m delay "due ATC" was announced. I called work to find out why we got the double hit, and it turns out we didn't. Ops gave our spot to a mainline ORD-YYZ and we got their spot. 100% the additional 2hr delay was within UA's control. After a lengthy debate with Customer Relations they finally relented.
Is there any possible compensation for it? I talked to an agent at EWR and they said no compensation is granted.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by PEKandFRAEnthusiast
Is there any possible compensation for it? I talked to an agent at EWR and they said no compensation is granted.
You need to be able to prove that the delay was within the airline's control.

In my case, the first 30m wasn't.... but the extra 2hrs sure was. They didn't like it, they wanted to deny it, but it was 100% true.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
You need to be able to prove that the delay was within the airline's control.

In my case, the first 30m wasn't.... but the extra 2hrs sure was. They didn't like it, they wanted to deny it, but it was 100% true.
My 22:35 flight from ORD-OMA was cancelled, not delayed. Does that make a difference?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
My 22:35 flight from ORD-OMA was cancelled, not delayed. Does that make a difference?
not really. you still need to be able to prove that it was within the airlines control.

blaming ATC might work sometimes, but most of the time it doesn't. It's an airlines choice which means it's within their control. It's just being able to prove either logically or through truth that it was a choice within their control. That's the tough part
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
6/2 UA126 IAD-DUB 752 cancelled due to severe weather conditions in our route network
6/3 UA127 DUB-IAD 752 cancelled due to severe weather conditions in our route network

Turns out that the weather was actually in IAH — 752 scheduled for UA126 was doing an IAD-IAH-IAD turn but got diverted to DFW and eventually got to IAH 8 hours 2 min late at 11 p.m. on 6/2. Return to IAD departed IAH shortly after midnight, arriving back at IAD at 4am (8 hours 4 minutes late). Interestingly .bomb gives the reason for the delay on UA321 IAH-IAD as "Delayed due to late inbound aircraft arrival" whereas the resulting cancellation of IAD-DUB (and DUB-IAD) got coded as weather.

and by some odd coincidence:
6/3 UA125 ATH-EWR 763 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance

Last edited by truncated; Jun 3, 2016 at 9:13 pm
Old Jun 4, 2016, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
really bad day once again for UAs intl. operations. Sometime soon these new promo banners 'we are increasing our reliability' will have to translate to something!

UA865 HAM-EWR 763 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA160 MUC-IAH 763 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA836 PVG-ORD 744 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA178 KIX-GUM 738 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA927 FRA-SFO 744 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
Old Jun 4, 2016, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Yup, and it was due to ATC. I get how it is more of the airports' responsibility than the airline's, but it still sucks how I had to get a hotel at EWR, which UA would not cover, unlike how they did in DEL. Nothing passengers can do about ATC. No other connections from EWR to OMA today, and last ORD-OMA was the one that got cut due to ATC.
based on what you went through i would definitely write to UA and demand compensation to offset your hotel costs. what they put you through en route was completely ridiculous and then to have an ATC claim on top of it is just the icing on the cake. i hope they provided significant compensation for your issues getting out of DEL in the first place.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
really bad day once again for UAs intl. operations. Sometime soon these new promo banners 'we are increasing our reliability' will have to translate to something!

UA865 HAM-EWR 763 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA160 MUC-IAH 763 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA836 PVG-ORD 744 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA178 KIX-GUM 738 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA927 FRA-SFO 744 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
They need new planes (which they are getting). When the avg age of your fleet is 13.6 years (highest in the industry) you're bound to have loads of aircraft maintenance problems.

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
based on what you went through i would definitely write to UA and demand compensation to offset your hotel costs. what they put you through en route was completely ridiculous and then to have an ATC claim on top of it is just the icing on the cake. i hope they provided significant compensation for your issues getting out of DEL in the first place.
I will try. They provided compensation for DEL-EWR, but only for one day (not the second day of cancellations), and their customer "appreciation" service is not working right now. Smh

Last edited by goalie; Jun 4, 2016 at 5:01 pm Reason: Merge
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
They need new planes (which they are getting). When the avg age of your fleet is 13.6 years (highest in the industry) you're bound to have loads of aircraft maintenance problems
DL has an average fleet age of 17 years and they have nowhere as many cancellations as UA so... try something else. Also the 787s have their fair share of mechanical issues as well (as this thread can attest) so it's not just an issue with "old" planes.

Anyway...
6/6 UA38 EWR-OSL 752 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
6/6 UA140 IAD-BCN 764 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
6/7 UA39 OSL-EWR 752 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
6/7 UA141 BCN-IAD 764 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
Old Jun 9, 2016, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
UA 931, 6/8 ORD-LHR - diversion

Looks like it had a delay but finally got off the ground. As I write (11:35pm Pacific), the flight got as far as Halifax and did a 180. It's now descending, perhaps headed to BGR?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 12:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zrs70
... It's now descending, perhaps headed to BGR?
Appears to have leveled off and is heading back to ORD , landing about 3:36AM CDT.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
They've posted a 4:13am departure time now for this flight. It's already returned to ORD.

-RM
Old Jun 9, 2016, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Appears to have leveled off and is heading back to ORD
, landing about 3:36AM CDT.
Interesting... So it must not be an emergency, so not nearest airport. And not even closest hub (EWR).
Old Jun 9, 2016, 12:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Looks like back to ORD. Strange.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL931
Attached Images  
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:05 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Hope everything is okay, seems odd it would return to ORD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.