Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by maggersmagoo
Anyone flown west coast to HNL recently in first? I flew SAN>IAD last month in first and while the meal was quite tasty, I was slightly sad to learn that what I thought was going to be ice cream was actually lemon sorbet. Next week I fly LAX>HNL, and I'm so hoping for a proper ice cream sundae. There's something about being on an airplane that makes vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup one of the most delicious things on (or above) earth.
Yesterday's HNL-EWR dessert was raspberry sorbet. Can't imagine LAX-HNL will have a sundae.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Yesterday's HNL-EWR dessert was raspberry sorbet. Can't imagine LAX-HNL will have a sundae.
Curses!! Does anyone on this earth prefer sorbet over sundaes, or does United just not want us to be happy?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I've had the sundae (sometimes with chocolate chip ice cream) seemingly randomly on non-p.s. transcons, although it's more frequently been sorbets of varying flavors. I'm not sure the type of frozen dessert is deterministic.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by findark
I've had the sundae (sometimes with chocolate chip ice cream) seemingly randomly on non-p.s. transcons, although it's more frequently been sorbets of varying flavors. I'm not sure the type of frozen dessert is deterministic.
Last summer I flew SFO - RDU in F a couple times on the late afternoon dinner flight and it was sorbet both times and both flights were on 738/739 (don't remember which specifically)

Fast forward to this year and about a month ago flew it again and it was a sundae with chocolate ice cream. Was on an a320.

I actually liked the sorbet better primarily because I'm not a huge chocolate ice cream fan.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by maggersmagoo
Curses!! Does anyone on this earth prefer sorbet over sundaes, or does United just not want us to be happy?
Haha, I actually much prefer the sorbet -- when it's not frozen solid. My last SFO>BOS transcon had the worst imaginable FA in F, angry, snide, and contemptuous. When I got my lemon sorbet and jokingly noted that it made a sound not unlike stainless steel when I rapped it with my spoon, he looked at me and hissed "YES. You'll have to wait for it to thaw out." He then stomped off.

Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
I actually liked the sorbet better primarily because I'm not a huge chocolate ice cream fan.
Yeah...I don't care for chocolate ice cream either, especially with chocolate syrup. I think it still edges out sorbet though.

On the other hand, sorbet can be kinda refreshing on a flight, especially after all the bloody marys .
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I absolutely LOATHE lemon sorbet. When it's offered, I offer back a "Hell no, it's terrible", and downgrade my food rating on the post flight survey. Not a dessert, but a punishment.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HNL-EWR
UA 14
767-400
Lie flat BusinessFirst
2:55p-6:35a +1
June 21, 2016
Dinner & Breakfast

Excellent crew this afternoon welcoming me by name and offering an open bar PDB. FA also took dinner orders by status, bouncing around the cabin. As a 1K, I don't mind this so much now. There was no menu (not sure if this is SOP) but our choices were Cheese Ravioli, Short Ribs or Chicken breast with Thai sauce and Jasmine rice.

The chicken was delicious.

As you can see.

Raspberry sorbet was a nice light way to finish off the meal.

Breakfast was a fruit plate and French Toast soufflé. Was pretty tasty.

EWR-NAS
UA 1458
737-800
8:52a-12:08p (sked)
8:45a-11:25a (actual)
June 22, 2016

Another great EWR-based crew headed by our F FA Carlos. Proper UA meal selection as Carlos introduced himself, thanked me for being 1K and took my meal order first. ^ Choice of quiche or French Toast soufflé. Since I just had the soufflé, I went with the quiche. Wow, this was excellent, much better than AA's quiche. The asparagus was perfectly al dente.

Nassau-Houston
UA 1455
737-800
2:10p-4:36p (sked)
2:05p-3:55p (actual)
June 22, 2016
Snack

Our challenged FA announced that today's choices were "sliced beef or pasta." Well that is certainly very descriptive, thank you very much. I rolled the dice and went with the "sliced beef". The sliced beef was indeed beef and sliced, but perhaps barbecue beef or short ribs might be a little more descriptive. Not the best cut but the sauce made it very tasty.

Houston-LAX
UA 1547
A320
6:18p-7:49p (sked)
6:35p-7:40p (actual
June 22, 2016
Dinner

Dinner choices today were Chicken Katsu Curry or Shrimp Paella. Despite the single lonely shrimp, the chorizo, chicken and sauce made this a very flavorful dish.

At around T-45, delicious baked on board chocolate cookie.

Old Jun 23, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
That's one helluva HNL-LAX itinerary!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 4:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SFO777
... I went with the quiche. Wow, this was excellent, much better than AA's quiche. ...
Have had the quiche twice in recent weeks -- it was tasty (could use a little more seasoning), it was substantial, but it was lukewarm at best both times and almost cold once

I have yet to get the mythical souffle -- has not been on the PS routes.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I have yet to get the mythical souffle -- has not been on the PS routes.
That's the one route I haven't seen it on. Such a shame because it really is that tasty. I routinely text this to my wife when I'm lucky enough to get it.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 23, 2016, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
That's one helluva HNL-LAX itinerary!
LOL. The old 1K Challenge itinerary.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Duke787
I tend to agree, but the vanilla ice cream is amazing.

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Haha, I actually much prefer the sorbet -- when it's not frozen solid. My last SFO>BOS transcon had the worst imaginable FA in F, angry, snide, and contemptuous. When I got my lemon sorbet and jokingly noted that it made a sound not unlike stainless steel when I rapped it with my spoon, he looked at me and hissed "YES. You'll have to wait for it to thaw out." He then stomped off.

I honestly don't get the aversion to the deep-frozen desserts. It's not a big deal to let them thaw to your preference. I once had a crew that delayed dessert service by 20 minutes, and when we received our sorbet it was clear it was to let it melt. Mine was quite mushy, which was a big disappointment. It's possible I have a different preference, but serving it cold seems to be the best way to let everyone choose.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by findark
I honestly don't get the aversion to the deep-frozen desserts. It's not a big deal to let them thaw to your preference.
For me it comes down to being served something that is literally impossible to eat. In this case I think it showed genuine contempt on the part of the FA.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
For me it comes down to being served something that is literally impossible to eat. In this case I think it showed genuine contempt on the part of the FA.
If you're getting attitude from the crew, I understand. Most of my flights though the sorbet is edible within 5 minutes of being served - maybe I just haven't had any awful ice-bricks yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.