Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Old Dec 19, 16, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Been slacking a bit...here are some photos from earlier this month...

Dec. 1: EWR-SFO (dinner, sUA 772)

Did OLCI at check-in to get into J on the first day of the Polaris rollout...didn't really mean much of a change for the food, just that we had more/nicer sleeping items.

Menu at the start of the month...

Nuts and a beer, as usual. The nuts were a bit different than I was used to, and if you notice, the small cup for the nuts uses the Polaris motif.

Salad...meh. The cauliflower and garbanzo beans were not that exciting. The solitary rolled-up slice of prosciutto was okay, but the cheese - pass.

Oversauced beef ribs...nothing to really speak to here. I also passed on ice cream, and they must have done the cookie service quite early, as I woke up more than 90 minutes prior to landing and they had already done it. That said, they did grab me one when I inquired around 25 minutes before we hit the ground.

Dec. 4 - SAN-EWR (73G)

Started off with a pretzel roll (first one in a while) to go with the salad. A decent amount of cheese here, which I liked, but I didn't really get / understand the fruit-infused vinaigrette...

Thai chicken curry is what I went with out of 3 choices presented (I forget the other 2)...the coconut undertones were there but a bit weak, and I was disappointed that it was a chicken breast, instead of being served as cubed chicken already. Maybe me being a little lazy...

Cookie before landing - can't go wrong with that, ever.
Old Dec 19, 16, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
SJU-ORD
Lunch- Chicken with green beans, rice, and salad with a really hard to open bottle of vinaigrette dressing. (Lunch offer was salmon with broccoli or chicken with green beans). Chicken was perfectly moist, and I thought all-in-all was a pretty darn good lunch. Did not like the roll offerings, literally wheat or white, and they were hard as rocks), cookie offered a bit before landing.

ORD-SFO (double bonus on an equipment swap to 747 and getting bumped to 1st in the nose!)
Dinner- Spicy shrimp with grits, salad was honey dijon dressing (pretty tasty). Roll was same as SJU-ORD, wheat or white and hard as a rock. Dessert was vanilla bean gelato. Dinner was darn tasty as well, spicy was perfect amount of spicy, and the shrimp were of good size, grits were quite tasty.

Pics below!
Attached Images    
Old Dec 20, 16, 2:34 pm

Later this week I am on UA5475 (LAX-SEA on UAX) departing at 3:10pm with a flight time of 2h 57mn. When checking the flight status on UA.com it says lunch under food options for F. Is that correct? I thought it was just a snack basket on that flight.
Old Dec 20, 16, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by B747forever View Post
Later this week I am on UA5475 (LAX-SEA on UAX) departing at 3:10pm with a flight time of 2h 57mn. When checking the flight status on UA.com it says lunch under food options for F. Is that correct? I thought it was just a snack basket on that flight.
Official meal schedule lists meal service for 0500-1329 and 1500-2000. And when in doubt, always go by the coded meal. You should get lunch.
Old Dec 20, 16, 3:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Ti
Originally Posted by findark View Post
UA 1148: SFO to IAH
December 6, 2016
Boeing 787-9, Lunch

Checking in on mid-con dining as I stop in IAH for a cheaper fare and more miles! The Dreamliner is a really sweet ride. The higher cabin pressure and humidity was definitely noticeable, and it's always nice to snag a domestic ride in a lie-flat. We were provisioned with the Polaris bedding too, which was very plush (and a huge improvement over mothball pillows and ratty blankets).

Attachment 22909

Salad was fresh arugula with what appeared to be barley and small, tart fruit (raisins may have been in there somewhere, I forget). Decent, but the lemon vinaigrette is the most offensive of the "3 lbs of corn syrup" dressing brand flying with the salads right now. Definitely something to apply sparingly.

Lunch was a choice of the lobster mac and cheese, or Tandoori chicken. Faced with two generally lauded choices, I decided to have the macaroni. It was very good! Certainly better than many a pitiful rendition I have endured in faceless chain restaurants. The broccolini was rather limp and bitter though. And the bread was a pretzel roll, mmm..

Attachment 22910

Mango sorbet for dessert.
Had this exact meal Dec 19 on a UA624, 3 class 777 SFO-ORD. Only difference was lemon sorbet instead of mango. Lobster mac was good.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 20, 16, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by findark View Post
Official meal schedule lists meal service for 0500-1329 and 1500-2000. And when in doubt, always go by the coded meal. You should get lunch.
Thanks!
Old Dec 20, 16, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by popoemt View Post
SJU-ORD
Lunch- Chicken with green beans, rice, and salad with a really hard to open bottle of vinaigrette dressing. (Lunch offer was salmon with broccoli or chicken with green beans). Chicken was perfectly moist, and I thought all-in-all was a pretty darn good lunch. Did not like the roll offerings, literally wheat or white, and they were hard as rocks), cookie offered a bit before landing.

ORD-SFO (double bonus on an equipment swap to 747 and getting bumped to 1st in the nose!)
Dinner- Spicy shrimp with grits, salad was honey dijon dressing (pretty tasty). Roll was same as SJU-ORD, wheat or white and hard as a rock. Dessert was vanilla bean gelato. Dinner was darn tasty as well, spicy was perfect amount of spicy, and the shrimp were of good size, grits were quite tasty.

Pics below!
Were you in row 2 on the 747? I was in 1K. The shrimp and grits was very good, I was bit nervous getting it, but it was delicious!
Old Dec 20, 16, 6:31 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
On EWR-SNA last week, smaller (Polaris?) nut ramekin was used. Definitely fewer nuts than the old style.
Old Dec 21, 16, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by LASUA1K View Post
Were you in row 2 on the 747? I was in 1K. The shrimp and grits was very good, I was bit nervous getting it, but it was delicious!
Yes, that was me, 2A, I was very jealous of your window view
Old Dec 25, 16, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Flew in first from HNL to IAD on 12/23. Standard PDB and initial beverage and nuts once airborne. Salad was pretty standard with lettuce, beets, mandarin oranges, cheese, and the lemon vinaigrette that has been (rightfully so) much vilified here. Bread was a dinner roll - no choices presented. The options for mains were: beef with hoisin (my choice), chicken tamale, and butternut squash ravioli (choice of my seatmate which looked pretty good). I thought the sides on the beef were really good. Dessert was chocolate chip ice cream (allegedly, certainly they weren't big chips and didn't have a strong flavor) with whipped cream and chocolate sauce . . . all put on in the galley. A very strong dinner - only complaint is that my drink wasn't refilled during dinner until after I had finished my main. Breakfast (sorry, no pics) was oatmeal, fruit, and choice of cinnamon roll or croissant. A very nice flight overall - the lie flat seats certainly make this a pleasant ride in the front.

Old Dec 28, 16, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Had a pretty good cheese burger last week flying MCO-EWR.
Old Dec 28, 16, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum Medallion
ORD-SAT on an ERJ 175.

Lunch flight. Other option was Italian Salad. I'm vegetarian so was given the chicken dish sans the chicken. Still tasty!

Last edited by smxflyer; Dec 28, 16 at 10:08 pm
Old Dec 28, 16, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum Medallion
SAT-EWR on a 739

Breakfast flight. Choices were french toast souffle and southwestern omelet. Souffle was delicious but a sugar bomb, especially coupled with the cinnamon roll.

Old Jan 4, 17, 6:43 pm

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
21 Dec 2016
UA 2039
LAX - ORD

PDB offered, had the prosecco.

Breakfast flight, choice of french toast soufflé or omelette. Chose the omelette, which wasn't too bad, all things considered. A cinnamon roll soon filled the empty spot on the tray.

Old Jan 4, 17, 7:05 pm

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
28 Dec 2016
UA 793
ORD - LAX

Scheduled departure at 4:20, which the FA called a "lunch" flight, but whatever.

Declined PDB.

Warm nuts (almonds and cashew parts - no soy nuts!), and a glass of prosecco. (I felt festive.)

Choice of shrimp & grits and beef provencal. Had the shrimp, which I really enjoyed.

Ice cream sundae for dessert.

(Sorry for the lousy lighting.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: