Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
EWR->ORD 3PM
First on 3-cabin 767

Warm nuts served with choice of beverage (except Glenfarclas, which once again apparently wasn't boarded ).

Choice of hamburger or a Salad with chicken.

Burger was decent, but not great. Cookie served at the same time as the meal. Service was meh.
I like that UA doesn't put cheese on the burger, however, for those who like Cheese (me) on their burger, would that cheese melt at all once put on the meat?

The Mushrooms look horrible on the salad.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I like that UA doesn't put cheese on the burger, however, for those who like Cheese (me) on their burger, would that cheese melt at all once put on the meat?
From the pic, it also looks like a smoked gouda, which is if that's the case, it wouldn't melt, but qualifies as an upgrade to me.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
From the pic, it also looks like a smoked gouda, which is if that's the case, it wouldn't melt, but qualifies as an upgrade to me.
It would only melt if the meat was still hot enough...
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:24 pm

Agreed and I've had that burger many times on UA, so if it is gouda, it ain't gonna melt. ;-)
Old Nov 12, 2016, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Agreed and I've had that burger many times on UA, so if it is gouda, it ain't gonna melt. ;-)
Correct. In this case, the burger was far from hot enough to melt any kind of cheese...except maybe Velveeta.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
11/11
ORD>DEN, Lunch

Beverage and warm nut service first. Ramekin included soy nuts (?) as well as the standard fare. First for me.

Chicken was OK but the rice and veg were woefully under-seasoned. Not sure what the smaller plate on the lower left side was supposed to be and I didn't touch it. Salad with raspberry vinaigrette was decent.

Warm cookie for dessert.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Correct. In this case, the burger was far from hot enough to melt any kind of cheese...except maybe Velveeta.

Big misstep for UA, does UA really put much thought into these meals?
Old Nov 12, 2016, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by limey1K
11/11
ORD>DEN, Lunch

Beverage and warm nut service first. Ramekin included soy nuts (?) as well as the standard fare. First for me.

Chicken was OK but the rice and veg were woefully under-seasoned. Not sure what the smaller plate on the lower left side was supposed to be and I didn't touch it. Salad with raspberry vinaigrette was decent.

Warm cookie for dessert.
The only thing that would've helped your under seasoning issue would've been to put the salsa/avocado/pickled carrot/sour cream into the chicken/rice/corn dish and mixed it, but it can be baffling to 97%+/- of the general traveling public to even consider doing that. I highly recommend it tho.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 12:36 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
The only thing that would've helped your under seasoning issue would've been to put the salsa/avocado/pickled carrot/sour cream into the chicken/rice/corn dish and mixed it, but it can be baffling to 97%+/- of the general traveling public to even consider doing that. I highly recommend it tho.
Is that what the lower left plate is??? I didn't see any sour cream on that plate. I'll try your recommendation next time though!
Old Nov 13, 2016, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by limey1K
Is that what the lower left plate is??? I didn't see any sour cream on that plate. I'll try your recommendation next time though!
Adding a hunk of hard carrot into rice is not really possible. I guess someone could add the salsa...and maybe mash up the avocado...but doesn't really seem appetizing to me.

Seems UA has been adding this "condiment plate" to any dish they consider "SouthWest" - Seen pictured above served with wraps, burritos, and now rice. Doesn't make sense with any of them.

If +/- 97% of the customers don't know what to do with it (myself included), time to come up with a better item.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
I flew mainline UA from Washington to Boston and back.

The 6:40 PM departure from Boston only offered the snack basket. While I could use hyperbole and state that it was criminal they didn't feed us at that hour, it is only a 1:15 flight. (I could mention that I have gotten hot and cold meals on shorter flights on Kazakhstan and Myanmar airlines....but I won't because it's apples and oranges.)

What was criminal, however, was the red wine. It was godawful. Undrinkable. And my standards are not super high, I regularly drink $10 bottles at home.

But this stuff was just terrible. How embarrassing.

99% of my flights are international in C, and I was horrified how bad it was. Happily, I finally got a post-flight survey, so I let them know. For it truly was embarrassingly bad.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
The salad dressings in domestic F always upset me.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by big V
What was criminal, however, was the red wine. It was godawful. Undrinkable. And my standards are not super high, I regularly drink $10 bottles at home.

But this stuff was just terrible. How embarrassing.

99% of my flights are international in C, and I was horrified how bad it was. Happily, I finally got a post-flight survey, so I let them know. For it truly was embarrassingly bad.
Seriously though, how was the wine?

Is it possible it was oxidized? Perhaps an FA can chime in as to whether bottles are reused from flight to flight and day to day. UA's wines are usually inoffensive and flavorless rather than undrinkable.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:29 pm

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
PS or IAD/EWR-HNL Breakfast Menu this month?

Anyone know what's on the PS or long haul to HNL breakfast menu this month? Ticking down toward my flight and the wife and I sure are hoping for French toast. The wife is a bit picky and I want to try and ascertain the menu for our flight and potentially get some snacks. (Mainly so I don't have to hear "I'm starving" for 10 hours while I'm avgeeking out ;-p )
Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Is it possible it was oxidized? Perhaps an FA can chime in as to whether bottles are reused from flight to flight and day to day. UA's wines are usually inoffensive and flavorless rather than undrinkable.
If a bottle is opened and not used up on the flight it is not "saved" for the next flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.