Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by EWR764
Interesting... looks like a 1/2 tray? Definitely smaller than the usual setup.
yeah that was what surprised me as well. then again if I recall correctly the halftrays were used on the exEWR transcons for pmCO when they still had the app/multicourses, sundaes, etc.

and good on the FA's for not cramming everything on the tray anyways and doing the modified two-course approach.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
What is it?

2h55m flight today heading east. Left at 9:50 so the catering was breakfast. I was offered the fruit plate or the "breakfast sandwich" (which I chose).

Ice cold, very sweet and it had ham (?) I believe in the middle. I found it to be very strange and didnt eat much of it.

Does anyone know what this dish is supposed to be?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Had this exact meal except with the pretzel roll SFO-ORD Friday. It was one of the best domestic dishes I have had. Not really a big plantain eater but they were really good. Wish there were some vegetables with the main course though. Also had the Malbec which was good enough for me.

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
SFOSTL
DEP 1755

All of the SFOSTL flights I have been flown recently have been on a mix of 319/320/E-175 so was surprised to see a 738, and a full 738 at that.

PDB appeared to be offered, I boarded later, but despite boarding going on for 20+ mins after I sat down no offer of PDB or coat hangup. Based on this and the announcement from the FA describing himself and other FA's as "safety professionals", I didn't have high expectations at this point.

After takeoff, meal orders taken front to back; choices described as salmon with cous cous or braised beef. After both myself and my seatmate told the FA that we wanted the beef, he said "and your second choice is salmon." I know what he meant but the delivery was rather stern and would have been communicated better had he said "choices are salmon or beef; which would be your first choice?"

Saw the trays being brought out with the first round of beverages so was expecting the famous "onePass" service; but as noted in the picture, they brought out the salad/roll/nuts out on the tray with the beverage, and then later brought out the entrée. I actually liked that to be honest as it actually seemed to be more in line with how the conduct service on the international flights.

The FA's were really good about refills, so despite the initial observation and the one-offs, it was a pretty good flight. Oh and the red wine on offer (I think it was a Malbec), dare I say was actually good

Salad/Nuts/Roll First Course

Entree
Old Nov 7, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Interesting... looks like a 1/2 tray? Definitely smaller than the usual setup.
Probably double-catered out of SFO - smaller trays to fit everything in the carts?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 4:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
That beef dish looks inedible. What are those tubular things on the left side of the plate?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by rch4u
Probably double-catered out of SFO - smaller trays to fit everything in the carts?
Not sure about that... qukslvr619 indicates SFOSTL and the evening flight is a RON at STL. They wouldn't cater the night before for a downline AM departure after a RON. Some major food safety red flags there! Usually this kind of thing is just a catering mix-up, or unexpected shortage of a particular item. Plus the 738 F galley has enough positions to stow carts for two full midcon services.

Originally Posted by Kurt
That beef dish looks inedible. What are those tubular things on the left side of the plate?
I think that entree is a short rib of beef with pinto beans, rice and grilled plantains. Tastes a lot better than it looks, as short rib dishes tend to (presentation is not a priority with UA domestic catering).
Old Nov 7, 2016, 5:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
That beef dish looks inedible. ..
actually is quite nice if you like slow cooked beef.

... [[What are those tubular things on the left side of the plate?
Plantains
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:26 pm

Not sure about that... qukslvr619 indicates SFOSTL and the evening flight is a RON at STL. They wouldn't cater the night before for a downline AM departure after a RON. Some major food safety red flags there! Usually this kind of thing is just a catering mix-up, or unexpected shortage of a particular item. Plus the 738 F galley has enough positions to stow carts for two full midcon services.

I think that entree is a short rib of beef with pinto beans, rice and grilled plantains. Tastes a lot better than it looks, as short rib dishes tend to (presentation is not a priority with UA domestic catering).
STLSFO is actually is double catered from the RON SFOSTL; however when I flew that trip in SEP it was an A319 and the trays were full size. Since the breakfast food items were mostly shelf stable they don't run into the same issues as the items that need to be cooked. See my post here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27232565-post651.html

And yes they were plantains....not a huge fan and had kind of an acidic taste, but other than that the entree was fine.

Last edited by qukslvr619; Nov 8, 2016 at 7:05 am Reason: Linked to previous post
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
RDU - IAH
E175 (Mesa)
Scheduled Departure: 515pm

Choice of salad with grilled chicken or some sort of beef wrap (she was short on details). Went with the salad - the chicken was surprisingly good I just wish there was more of it. I do wish they would find some healthier dressing (or even just oil and vinegar) - I don't bother putting it on

Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
actually is quite nice if you like slow cooked beef.

Plantains
UA usually does a pretty good job with its short rib. It's conveniently tender and comes apart when you stick a fork in it, which is nice because cutting things on a tray table with a dull knife always seems to end with food in my lap.

The rest of it looks pretty meh, but I'll confess I don't really care for plantains.

Originally Posted by limey1K
2h55m flight today heading east. Left at 9:50 so the catering was breakfast. I was offered the fruit plate or the "breakfast sandwich" (which I chose).

Ice cold, very sweet and it had ham (?) I believe in the middle. I found it to be very strange and didnt eat much of it.

UX catering? Sounds suspiciously like that awful-looking ham-and-jelly roll they were serving a few pages back.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

what flight was this? Aircraft?
Old Nov 8, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.

It looks like a slice of loaf cake with ham in it. Whatever it is, it just looks weird.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
STLSFO is actually is double catered from the RON SFOSTL; however when I flew that trip in SEP it was an A319 and the trays were full size. Since the breakfast food items were mostly shelf stable they don't run into the same issues as the items that need to be cooked. See my post here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27232565-post651.html
Interesting... obviously a hot entree would not be downline catered ex-SFO but cereal (and dried fruit/nuts) would probably be OK. I wonder if the exception is because that flight fluctuates between UAX and mainline (e.g., no hot entrees on Express)?
Old Nov 8, 2016, 9:20 am

Interesting... obviously a hot entree would not be downline catered ex-SFO but cereal (and dried fruit/nuts) would probably be OK. I wonder if the exception is because that flight fluctuates between UAX and mainline (e.g., no hot entrees on Express)?
My understanding is its not so much the issue of the shift between mainline and express but that all flights out of STL are double-catered out of the hubs; I think only ice, etc. is provisioned.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
what flight was this? Aircraft?
CRJ7 aircraft mid-con UAX flight, breakfast timeframe

UA5591 11/7/16

To clarify, the pic shows the "sandwich" cut in half. Actual size of the sandwich was probably 4" x 2.5" prior to being cut.

Last edited by limey1K; Nov 8, 2016 at 12:27 pm Reason: Additional detail

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.