Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Old Oct 27, 2016, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
They do not have ovens, so everything is served chilled.
Yep exactly
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Wayside
Back in the day when Compass was flying for NW they had ovens on their E-jets. And Mesaba also had ovens on their CRJ-900's. I was in the first few rows of coach a few weeks ago on an Endeavor-operated DL flight and swear I could smell hot food so they may still be serving hot meals on their oven-equipped RJ's.
I was under the impression that all ovens were taken out of the E jets for weight purposes, but I could be wrong. Again, ovens take space for storage, and since all catering items are in the gallery for the whole plane something has to give.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Because we know FA's never make things up!

All I am saying is that I am a MMer who flies out of Newark often. I have never in all my years of flying CO/UA seen that salmon or bread like that or chives in the salad -- it is clearly not EWR catering. UA still only has a limited number of dishes and that square-shape salmon filet is not one of them.

I have no idea who actually caters, but I'd imagine the same company that serves many airlines in CUN.
Lol, Touche'! Yeah, the salmon is particularly terrifying.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Oct 2016
IAD->LAX
First - 3 Cabin 777

Very nice service by the FA. For the most part, seemed to be the lone ranger serving the 8 passengers in FC, both in the galley and in the cabin but did an awesome job. Purser was helping out a bit in the beginning.

Check out the generous pour when serving Glenfarclas on ice. LOL A bit too much ice, but I wasn't complaining.

The soy things mixed into the nut service are not good.

The lemon salad dressing is awful.

IIRC, other meal choices were a chicken tamale and some type of ravioli.
Beef was OK. Hoisen sauce was too sweet.

Declined the pre-arrival cookie.
Attached Images     
Old Oct 30, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
P.S. SFO-EWR

Breakfast flight-
Menu
Back of menu
first plate- Fruit, yogurt, and a cinnamon roll (a few minutes after plate was delivered)
main dish- French toast souffl
Attached Images     
Old Oct 30, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
P.S. EWR-SFO

Menu
Salad- Beet/blue cheese salad (very good, no dressing needed)
Main- Asked for lamb, got the chicken, it was pretty darn good (cleaned the plate!)
Red wine- Argentina Malbec
Attached Images     
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Wayside
Back in the day when Compass was flying for NW they had ovens on their E-jets. And Mesaba also had ovens on their CRJ-900's. I was in the first few rows of coach a few weeks ago on an Endeavor-operated DL flight and swear I could smell hot food so they may still be serving hot meals on their oven-equipped RJ's.
Yes, AC has ovens in their E175's as well, so it's definitely an option if an airline chooses to have them installed. The offerings are fine for short-haul flights but the cold meal options that UA Express offers don't really cut it on a 3+ hour flight, so ovens could definitely give them a more competitive meal product for longer flights.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Praise be!!!

Originally Posted by popoemt

Red wine- Argentina Malbec
Finally, someone at United who knows how to serve wine!
Attached Images  
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
LAX->DEN
777 HD config
Lunch

Choice of Chicken Sandwich or Salad with Chicken.

Sandwich was good, though I always chuckle when United caters a roll with a sandwich.

Choc chip cookie served just prior to landing.

Very nice service for a short lunch flight.
Attached Images    
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DEN->DAY
CR7
Dinner

Choice of "some kind of wrap" or the Asian salad with Beef.

I really didn't get the point of the small plate of veg. I tasted one of the carrots, and it was sort of pickled / spicy. Just weird with the diced onion and jalapeno. Can't imagine it is supposed to be condiments for the wrap...and there is already a salad, so a couple leafs of lettuce is out of place. No idea the thought behind this one...
Attached Images  
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by goodeats21
LAX->DEN
777 HD config
Lunch

Choice of Chicken Sandwich or Salad with Chicken.

Sandwich was good, though I always chuckle when United caters a roll with a sandwich.

Choc chip cookie served just prior to landing.

Very nice service for a short lunch flight.
Doesn't look like a 777 HD config -- looks like lie-flats, although with 8-across seating, I understand...
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by conquistador74
I'm confident they are. It's not the the product is any different, it is that it is 3.5-5 hours old. It is clearly double catered, and I was told so by a FA on one of our returns.
Some Latin flights (seems like more of the beach markets) are downline catered for the return leg, but not all. One reason UA's Latin "business" menus are different from standard domestic is to account for variations in provisioning at some of the local kitchens. That's why the entrees and salads tend to be a little simpler than what we've seen lately on the domestic side.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doesn't look like a 777 HD config -- looks like lie-flats, although with 8-across seating, I understand...
I thought the 777 with lie-flats between door 1&2 and 10 across in the back was called the HD version and the ones with recliners in front were Hawaii configs.

Let me know if I should change the designation and to what. I am easily confused by all these versions...
From my understanding, I was on this one: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...bfleet-23.html
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I thought the 777 with lie-flats between door 1&2 and 10 across in the back was called the HD version and the ones with recliners in front were Hawaii configs.

Let me know if I should change the designation and to what. I am easily confused by all these versions...
From my understanding, I was on this one: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...bfleet-23.html
I may well be the confused one. Mea cupla if it was me. I thought HD was Hawaii.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I may well be the confused one. Mea cupla if it was me. I thought HD was Hawaii.
Believe we've been calling the 77G (3-4-3 Y and 2-4-2 flat F) as the "HD" variant. It is the UA 772 config with the most pax on it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.