Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2016, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Think those are recliners, and the label is meant to be Business / First. BusinessFirst is always lie-flat.

Also, if I am not mistaken, there are no more domestic non-p.s. 752s in service anymore...only some 753s.
Correct. All the domestic 752s are gone now. The 752s with the BusinessFirst product are the sCO int'l birds (16J in 4 rows) and the sUA p.s. birds (28J in 7 rows). 6 rows of recliner First ahead of door 2 is now only found on the 753.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
There are FAA rules about staffing. I believe the requirement is one FA for every 50 pax for the capacity of the plane.

Flew a 757 DEN-SFO Aug 2, with 24 people in BF. There were able to do PDB, plus full dinner meal service and follow up beverages in a less than 2 hour flight just fine. One FA made the meals, one transported meals to pax and followed up with drinks. They were a well oiled team.

I rarely fly anything other than Business or First, both domestically and internationally. 2 per cabin domestically for BF is standard staffing, except on the smallest planes. There is more staffing on international flights in Business and First.

The FAs just signed a fairly nice contract. I think you might be reading this a little off.
From an FAA perspective, you may be right, but from a service perspective, they should have more. 757 ExCo has 16 seats. The PS product is an international configuration and marketed as a premium product. They could use more staffing.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
What do people who need to eat low glycemic index/load meals do when they travel long-haul? Most airline food (even in business class) is loaded with carbs (often simple ones) as you can see in the pics on this thread (e.g., see previous page). For people like me, these meals are almost as bad as poison. I wouldn't survive an 8-12-hour flight eating cinnamon rolls, bread, cookies, pastas & orange juice. I have tried many different tricks & it has been hit or miss. You'd think that requesting a diabetic meal would be the closest to getting a low cab meal. But you'd be wrong. I've actually been offered (white) rice, bread and fruit as major components of diabetic meals. (And as if to atone for it, the bread comes accompanied by low fat margarine, which is completely unhealthy. I feel like screaming from tops of buildings that 'fat' doesn't make people fat, it's carbs that do that to you.) So for long I've been packing my own meals, often 1-2 days worth if I'm traveling for over 24 hours (as is regularly the case). This is a real pain and not very practical especially with last minute travel changes. Any suggestions?
Old Sep 10, 2016, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by thebakaronis
What do people who need to eat low glycemic index/load meals do when they travel long-haul? Most airline food (even in business class) is loaded with carbs (often simple ones) as you can see in the pics on this thread (e.g., see previous page). For people like me, these meals are almost as bad as poison. I wouldn't survive an 8-12-hour flight eating cinnamon rolls, bread, cookies, pastas & orange juice. I have tried many different tricks & it has been hit or miss. You'd think that requesting a diabetic meal would be the closest to getting a low cab meal. But you'd be wrong. I've actually been offered (white) rice, bread and fruit as major components of diabetic meals. (And as if to atone for it, the bread comes accompanied by low fat margarine, which is completely unhealthy. I feel like screaming from tops of buildings that 'fat' doesn't make people fat, it's carbs that do that to you.) So for long I've been packing my own meals, often 1-2 days worth if I'm traveling for over 24 hours (as is regularly the case). This is a real pain and not very practical especially with last minute travel changes. Any suggestions?
There is no way that an airline can accommodate every dietary need out there. Choose the one that best suits your needs and go from there, or better yet, bring a meal from home and see if the FA's would heat it up for you.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 10, 2016 at 8:12 pm Reason: Unneed comment on the poster deleted
Old Sep 10, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I pack Quest bars in my carry-on, and buy plain Greek/Icelandic yogurt airside if I'm in Y. I tend to indulge when I'm in F or J - I know it's not good for me but there is just something about airplane food that is hard to resist...

Originally Posted by thebakaronis
Old Sep 11, 2016, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
SEA-DEN 9/7 UA1921
Lunch

Choice of Chicken Salad or Chicken Sandwich, I chose the sandwich

Cookie/Brownie

DEN-PHL 9/7 UA223
Dinner
Choice of Shrimp Paella or Chicken Katsu, I don't like seafood

Cookie, I thought I'd get a sorbet on this flight, but I guess not.

Last edited by eng3; Sep 12, 2016 at 12:06 pm
Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
DEN-SFO UA277 Breakfast
Sunday Sept 4th A320

PDB of Your Choice - As I was starting a 27 hour trip, I thought I would celebrate.

Choice of Fiesta Omelette or French Toast Soufflé
This did come with a choice of breads, served warm.
The sauce on the eggs had a proper amount of heat and the sausages were actually more spicy than I remembered them to be, and I enjoyed it very much.

Illy Coffee (several cups) to wrap things up
Old Sep 12, 2016, 5:03 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
There is no way that an airline can accommodate every dietary need out there. Choose the one that best suits your needs and go from there, or better yet, bring a meal from home and see if the FA's would heat it up for you.
To some extent, I agree with you, But when the Airline offers a diabetic option for international flights, That meal should be healthy for the person who ordered it.

Foods loaded with carbs instead of proteins, etc are far more unhealthy for a diabetic than a small serving of butter. diabetic does not mean just low fat.

The special meals offered for a diabetics are often types of meals that diabetics should avoid.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AustinDiver
To some extent, I agree with you, But when the Airline offers a diabetic option for international flights, That meal should be healthy for the person who ordered it.

Foods loaded with carbs instead of proteins, etc are far more unhealthy for a diabetic than a small serving of butter. diabetic does not mean just low fat.

The special meals offered for a diabetics are often types of meals that diabetics should avoid.
How many type of diabetic meals should an airline offer? If we are going to talk about unhealthy meals, I would assume you are talking about all airline meals, just diabetic meals. On that note, I feel that airlines should offer a more balanced meal for diabetic then what is offered.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I flew 712 again last night, now back across the 8pm boundary so it was another snack flight. The service was very similar to June, however there was one oddity: for a pre-arrival snack we were served cranberry muffins. I looked back at my last post and didn't see a comment on the pre-arrival serving. Is this normal for the "Snack" catering? I liked it, but I was just surprised.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
I flew 712 again last night, now back across the 8pm boundary so it was another snack flight. The service was very similar to June, however there was one oddity: for a pre-arrival snack we were served cranberry muffins. I looked back at my last post and didn't see a comment on the pre-arrival serving. Is this normal for the "Snack" catering? I liked it, but I was just surprised.
I think the muffins might be regular, at least on the late trans-continental flights—seen them a couple of times since late summer on BOS-SFO.

Trying to remember: I believe I also got a muffin on a redeye LAS-EWR, but that made time-zone sense, so it didn't seem remarkable.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by findark
Almost sounds like it's just catered as a transcon redeye given the late departure time out of IAD (~10 PM) ... "snack" is usually a warm sandwich or calzone, with some sort of breakfast bread before landing.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA GS
Do they still change up meals?
My last 7 main line midcons the choice was always chicken sandwich or salad with chicken
Old Sep 17, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
UA 652 BOS>DEN, 14 Sep 2016

Choices were lobster mac and cheese or tandoori chicken with rice. Both sounded good, so I asked the FA to surprise me with whichever she had more of.

The lobster mac and cheese was fantastic, with just enough lobster meat and no annoying fishy taste; the broccoli rabe wasn't overcooked. And perhaps best of all, the white wine was drinkable.

Last edited by RandomBaritone; Sep 17, 2016 at 5:38 pm Reason: Fixing autocorrect silliness
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rch4u
Almost sounds like it's just catered as a transcon redeye given the late departure time out of IAD (~10 PM) ... "snack" is usually a warm sandwich or calzone, with some sort of breakfast bread before landing.
Ah, that would make sense if they're just catering an "overnight" food set. UA712 isn't all that late (it goes back and forth with being a dinner flight; this month it's leaving IAD at 8:30), so I was a little surprised to get a very breakfast-y offering coming in on final at 10:50pm local

Now that I think back on it, I think I might have had a muffin the last time 712 ran as a snack flight, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.