Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Yes, but, they shouldn't serve it that way at all. It goes on the meat before service, unless the passenger asks for it on the side. Not putting it on the meat is a plating failure. It's not like it's supposed to be a in nice china ramekin.
Like I said it's be happening for years, when I flew MCO-LAX back in 2012 the sauce was served in a foil container. So one would assume that UA is OK with this since it's been going on for 4+ years. Infact if you go to the International thread someone just posted a flight from GUM-NRT and guess what, the foil container was served with the meal.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I believe it is cotija cheese.
Aha! That would make a lot of sense - even describes it as "a flavor similar to Greek feta".
Old Aug 7, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I believe it is cotija cheese.
I'm pretty sure it is feta cheese, not cotija.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm on UX5597 DEN-SAN in F.

The choices were a fruit plate with a scone or a ham/jam/cream cheese sandwich. I chose the former.

Also included on the fruit plate was a bowl of cold oatmeal with a glass of milk to add to it. It was actually really good. The FA said it is only listed as "cold oatmeal", but I'd like to find it to enjoy at home. She also said this was the first morning she's ever served it.

Does anyone know what kind of oatmeal this is?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Noooo! I loved the pretzel roll; a nice nod from UA to LH where they're ubiquitous.
I believe the rolls were/are to be rotated monthly. The pretzel roll may just be on a temporary hiatus in that direction.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EWR764
I believe the rolls were/are to be rotated monthly. The pretzel roll may just be on a temporary hiatus in that direction.
I had the whole wheat bread stick on ps last weekend and it was very tasty. Better than the pretzel roll IMO (though visually not appealing).
Old Aug 8, 2016, 9:54 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by findark

Attachment 16899

Main course of chicken "in barbecue sauce with rice and vegetables" according to our purser; I think it's more accurately with a Jamaican-style (G-rated spiciness though) jerk rub and something reminiscent of bordelaise sauce. Served with rice and assorted vegetables (a real kitchen sink of them too - there was a lone asparagus head and also a ball of ginger looking to snare the unsuspecting diner!).

That looks like the BBQ chicken dish that shows up on p.s. route frequently. The tell tale sign is the single piece of kimchi (not ginger) on the rice. It is a BBQ sauce on the chicken.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
On LAX-EWR flt 1997 right now. Had beet salad and Sriracha shrimp appetizer, both were really good. Although serving a single shrimp is kind of chintzy. For entree, had braised lamb shoulder with chimichurri sauce and gnocchi. This was also really good, although the lamb was just a tad dry.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Does anyone know what kind of oatmeal this is?
There is a recipe for cold oatmeal on the container of Quaker rolled oats (and those are rolled oats, not quick or instant.) It's really almost a muesli but it's quite good, if cold oats are your thing. I like it, but find that it does need salt and sugar in addition to fresh fruit/nuts/raisins/etc.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PTahCha
That looks like the BBQ chicken dish that shows up on p.s. route frequently. The tell tale sign is the single piece of kimchi (not ginger) on the rice. It is a BBQ sauce on the chicken.
Kimchi makes sense. I definitely was not expecting it in the pile of carrots and other miscellaneous vegetables. And eh, I suppose just about anything can pass for "BBQ sauce" but that certainly didn't taste like any sauce I'm used to.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
LAX-ORD
UA 645
757-300
6:00a-12:03p
August 9, 2016

Choice of "oatmeal or omelet". Omelet was nice and cheesy. Sausages good but potatoes were a mushy meh.

ORD-PIT
UA 734
A320
2:00p-4:38p (sked)
2:00p-3:59p (actual)
August 9, 2016

Excellent crew with multiple passes of the snack basket.

Last edited by SFO777; Aug 10, 2016 at 5:12 am
Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I do like the UA snacks. Always a bit different, something that I would never buy, but it's nice to have some variety.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
UA really should update the presentation in F/J. The pmCO linens are really starting to look worn out and old. It'd be amazing if UA would introduce a completely fresh look and feel, aka DL or even AA, which has new tan linens.

Originally Posted by findark
UA 712: IAD to SFO
August 5, 2016
Airbus A320, Dinner

New month, new food. (Really, I should not be taking this for granted - it's refreshing to move around the catering month to month.)

Attachment 16898

The new salad for August west I last spotted in June eastbound. It's a arugula and watermelon, with cheese (please! help me identify it - to my endless chagrin I can't seem to figure out what the "UA salad cheese" is that shows up on all the salads. It's somewhere near feta, but not quite I don't think..), and pomegranate vinaigrette dressing. It's quite decent, although the arugula was tending a little bitter yesterday. Served with the multi-grain breadstick (RIP pretzel roll, which at some point they seemed to be serving both directions last month).

Attachment 16899

Main course of chicken "in barbecue sauce with rice and vegetables" according to our purser; I think it's more accurately with a Jamaican-style (G-rated spiciness though) jerk rub and something reminiscent of bordelaise sauce. Served with rice and assorted vegetables (a real kitchen sink of them too - there was a lone asparagus head and also a ball of ginger looking to snare the unsuspecting diner!).

The other entree choices were salmon with quinoa, and what I assume was a popular beef choice than ran out before row 2 (!) as I overheard that there was no vegetarian option.

The ice cream remains chocolate , and the cookie remains delicious.

After dinner I managed to get a hold of the new scotch, a 12 year Glenfarclas single malt. As a seasoned scotch drinker, I was very impressed for a domestic flight drink service. It was relatively smooth without being downright boring (can't imagine them serving a bold Islay, maybe in an idealized GF). Fruity with a slight hint of smoke
Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
UA really should update the presentation in F/J. The pmCO linens are really starting to look worn out and old. It'd be amazing if UA would introduce a completely fresh look and feel, aka DL or even AA, which has new tan linens.
I disagree. I think the contemporary look of both AA and DL will look dated fast while the UA linen is fairly timeless.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
And UA might as well get new glassware for domestic F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.