Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
Originally Posted by crosscountry58S
What are folks seeing for the full meal options on the E175 these days?
Just came here with the same question. Check posts 59 and 74.
Old May 27, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by mmayer
Just came here with the same question. Check posts 59 and 74.
Appreciate it. I had dug back but must have missed these. Had the Asian steak salad in January. Wasn't bad. Was curious if they were rotating anything else through yet but it doesn't sound like it. I'll report back.
Old May 28, 2016, 12:13 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
Just had the calzone on the 9pm redeye SFO-BWI. Thought it was actually very good! The crust got a bit rough around the edge but that's going to happen. Overall a win.

The buffalo trace helped...
Old May 28, 2016, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by DCA writer
• The warm nuts--scorchingly hot at first, actually--included some kind of greenish nut with a pleasant crunch and a mostly empty interior that I couldn't place. Ideas?
I had these too on IAD-SFO recently... I was not much of a fan. Not quite sure what they were either.

Originally Posted by HoyaSFOIAD
Just had the calzone on the 9pm redeye SFO-BWI. Thought it was actually very good! The crust got a bit rough around the edge but that's going to happen. Overall a win.

The buffalo trace helped...
Good to hear. My flight got moved from 7:57 to 8:05 for the summer so I got snack-trapped. Not too difficult to eat dinner before the flight but good to know there's decent food on board.
Old May 28, 2016, 9:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by findark
I had these too on IAD-SFO recently... I was not much of a fan. Not quite sure what they were either.
I had them too. As mentioned a few posts up, they were most likely dry roasted edamame.

https://nuts.com/snacks/soybeans/dry-roasted.html
Old May 29, 2016, 12:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
UA1811 A319 MCI - DEN First Class Refreshment Flight.

- PDB of Gin and Tonic.
- Inflight Drink Of Vodka and Cranberry Plus Refills.
- Snack Basket Multiple Rounds PLUS Indulging My Photo Request.

DSC08122 by B H, on Flickr

DSC08142 by B H, on Flickr

DSC08148 by B H, on Flickr

DSC08149 by B H, on Flickr

New coach snack that I was given when I asked the FA's.
DSC08157 by B H, on Flickr

Last edited by seat38a; May 29, 2016 at 1:21 pm
Old May 29, 2016, 1:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
UA481 A319 DEN - LAX First Class Lunch Flight.

- PDB
- Hot Towels (Real Full Size Terry Cloth Towels)
- Beverage and Mixed Nuts (Vodka Cranberry)
- Meal Tray, Choice Of Chicken Enchilada or Beef Noodle Salad
- Another Drink With The Meals (Red Wine)
- Post Meal Drink (Wine Refill)
- Dessert (Baked Onboard Cookies)
- Coffee / Tea (I Passed)

Drinks were constantly refilled, by the FC FA, but also when any of the FA's from coach came through the cabin, they stopped by to pick things up and also ask if anyone wanted a refill.

DSC08214 by B H, on Flickr

DSC08225 by B H, on Flickr

DSC08227 by B H, on Flickr

DSC08230 by B H, on Flickr

DSC08236 by B H, on Flickr

DSC08237 by B H, on Flickr

DSC08240 by B H, on Flickr

DSC08244 by B H, on Flickr

DSC08253 by B H, on Flickr

DSC08255 by B H, on Flickr
Old May 30, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
strange green "nuts?"

On our last 4 BF flights during the past week (sorry I don't have flight numbers) LAX-EWR, EWR-FLL, our warm nuts have contained the usual cashew *pieces* and an ever-diminishing quantity of almonds, PLUS a strange, greenish object none of the FAs seems able to identify.
The things certainly resemble pistachios, but have zero flavor, and have the mouth-feel of freeze-dried camping foods.
Edamame,and garden pea have been proposed, but nothing we've heard really seems correct and no authoritative opinion has been forthcoming---yet.
Old May 30, 2016, 12:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dcutcher
On our last 4 BF flights during the past week (sorry I don't have flight numbers) LAX-EWR, EWR-FLL, our warm nuts have contained the usual cashew *pieces* and an ever-diminishing quantity of almonds, PLUS a strange, greenish object none of the FAs seems able to identify.
The things certainly resemble pistachios, but have zero flavor, and have the mouth-feel of freeze-dried camping foods.
Edamame,and garden pea have been proposed, but nothing we've heard really seems correct and no authoritative opinion has been forthcoming---yet.
Most are suggesting Edamame and this post has a link with photos that looks very similiar
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
I had them too. As mentioned a few posts up, they were most likely dry roasted edamame.

https://nuts.com/snacks/soybeans/dry-roasted.html
Old May 30, 2016, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcutcher
That's sad. I feel bad for the UA premium cabin passengers.

During the "billions of losses" era last decade at AA, Arpey the moron approved the addition of soy nuts to the AA mixed nut mix. Several people liked them and nearly every other Flyertalker who weighed in was not amused. Eventually, after much complaining, they were eliminated in favor of the traditional tree nuts (soybeans are legumes, like peanuts).

Soybeans are substantially cheaper than Cashews, Almonds, Pecans and Pistachios, so no wonder the beancounters (nutcounters?) at the airlines occasionally try to sneak these in.

This makes the "broken cashews" frugality look like unabashed generosity by comparison.
Old May 30, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
UA 1414 SFO-ORD, 5/21/16
737-900, seat 1E

I'd SDCed off the SFO-DCA nonstop so I could get home in time for dinner. The ORD-DCA leg cleared within minutes of that change, but I remained second on the upgrade list for this flight with F showing full as I was in line to buy a breakfast sandwich at SFO. But then I checked the app one more time and noticed that two F pax still hadn't checked in 40 minutes before departure. My little gamble paid off after the door closed, when the app showed my new boarding pass and a flight attendant came back to my row with a paper version of same.

(The passengers who had a window seat open up were a couple with a lap infant; having been in that situation, I was glad I could lend them my space.)

My choices were the French toast souffle or an egg souffle; after reading so much about the first item here, I had to try it. It really is fantastic, although "souffle" isn't the word I'd use for what seems more like upscale bread pudding. (Likewise, the "egg souffle" seemed more like a quiche to me; it looked delicious too, so I'll have to check it out at some point.) A biscuit out of the bread basket and a bloody mary provided enough of a savory contrast to balance out this meal, but the too-sweet yogurt was eminently skippable. Overall, great way to end an tiring, two-city week away from home.
Attached Images  
Old May 30, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
UA 260 DEN-SEA, 5/30/16
A319, New F, Seat 1A

I've flown with this purser before and something was very off. He was confused and distracted a good deal of the flight. He made multiple announcements unaware he wasn't coming over the PA. His flying partners had to correct him on that.

A passenger left their bag with a gate check tag (UX Green Tag) but since this was mainline it needed a proper bag tag. An announcement was made and no one claimed it. They gave the customer less than 60 seconds to self identify "the customer with a small black bag" to come up to get it tagged. It was sent to the lost luggage center in Denver.

As for the in flight service, we had a PDB and then meal orders were taken in flight. Then hot towels. No drink orders. Just before the food came out, the drink order was taken and added to the tray. A couple times I was asked if I wanted a refill and then he would forget and look at me and have this OH CRAP expression and take my glass and refill it.

I had the "Fiesta Omelette" It had heat, a very tasty cheese sauce and spicy sausage. The other choice was oatmeal. Again, there was forgetfulness regarding bread service and after the meal was over we were offered the usual croissant or cinnamon roll, I chose the roll and it was cool, not cold, and hard.

I would recommend this entree if you like some heat to your flavor profile. Hopefully I won't be flying with this purser again anytime soon.

New F was okay, not super comfortable, to be honest. I had a sore back the same way the slimlines give me a sore back, and reclining didn't really improve the situation. I did appreciate the iPad slot, as you can see from the photo.

Old May 30, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by DCA writer

• The warm nuts--scorchingly hot at first, actually--included some kind of greenish nut with a pleasant crunch and a mostly empty interior that I couldn't place. Ideas?
Dry Roasted Salted Edamame (Green Soybean)
Old May 31, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by Michael D
Dry Roasted Salted Edamame (Green Soybean)
My wife eats edamame like candy, so I may have to order some of this stuff. Speaking of, Nuts.com (of course a site like that exists) charges $4.99 a pound for dry roasted salted edamame, while mixed nuts cost twice that much. I liked getting something new in the warm-nuts mix, but this data point doesn't invalidate an argument that this is all about cutting costs.
Old May 31, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: Hotels.com WR Silver ;)
5/27 ORD-BOS 7:30 AM B737-900 - Breakfast choices of Quiche Florentine or the French Toast in a Bowl thing. I had the Quiche, my wife had the French Toast thing, both were good. Odd that the French Toast thing came with yogurt and the Quiche didn't - but I guess the Quiche came with a few chicken sausages too.

5/30 BOS-ORD 5:47 PM B737-900 - Choices were "Chicken and Rice" and "Risotto" - which the FA didn't know how to pronounce and described as "a type of pasta". I took a gamble on the Risotto and it was very good, although small. It was served with Asparagus, peas, and mushrooms. My wife had the chicken, which had some sort of spicy latin sauce on it and the rice was mixed with black beans. The chicken was dried out and the sauce didn't help much. It was also very unattractive and looked worse than a TATL Y meal.

No drink service after dinner unless you already had a wine or water glass out that they could refill.

Both were paid F in row 2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.