Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by kmersh
To my brain, I cannot see catering initiating that sort of change, but I could see whereby somebody (probably a bean counter) would instruct scheduling to change the time of the flight to save my money by not having to cater the flight. After all there are set time for catering, so if one moves a flight time to just outside the window, than UNITED does not have pay for catering.

To my simple brain, catering does not care how many flights they cater, they will cater whatever they are told to cater.
Remember the sequent of events was like this:
1. Caterer Change
2. Same day the 6am flight from YYC to DEN was no longer catered with hot break fast; BUT block time was still over 2:40
3. After they got a lot of complaints (confirmed both by GS and local YYC station manager) 6 weeks later the block time was changed.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTahCha
The turbot is probably my favorite main course at the moment.
Originally Posted by fivesixseven
I had the same dish recently, but yours looked like it was a completely different dish! And - in hindsight - they didn't give me the turnips.
Last week on a lunch flight ex-EWR the veggie side was baby bok choy only.

I am not a fan of the blue cheese on the salad, nor any cheese on UA actually, due to poor quality. Even though, I do like cheese very much.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt, Marriott
On a recent EWR-LAS lunch flight I had Tandoori Chicken which was quite good, if a bit too dry. The other choice in F was Lobster Mac and Cheese. On the return lunch flight I had a truly outstanding Shrimp Creole with mashed potatoes. The other choice was Roast Beef.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

Goose IPA and the nuts

Turbot itself was good, particularly with the Asian-style BBQ sauce it was marinated in. I don't recall the turnips being all that distinctive.
I wonder when UA will ever get rid of those horrible domestic F glasses they inherited from CO.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 29, 2016 at 2:45 pm Reason: For long posts, lots of pics, limit quote to relevant pic -- helpful for those with smaller screens
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
PIT-DEN
UA 773
A319 with new UNCOMFORTABLE slider seats
7:06a-8:35a
April 29, 2016
Breakfast

Booked the last F seats as I dumped my AA connection to beat the snow into Denver. Choice of French Toast Soufflé or Quiche Florentine. The quiche was good despite the stupid "baked" tomato and pooled liquid at the bottom of the bowl. Two napkins soaked that up nicely.

And something virtually unheard of on AA, a PDB.

Old Apr 29, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SFO777
PIT-DEN
UA 773
A319 with new UNCOMFORTABLE slider seats
7:06a-8:35a
April 29, 2016
Breakfast

Booked the last F seats as I dumped my AA connection to beat the snow into Denver. Choice of French Toast Soufflé or Quiche Florentine.
The souffle is one of the best catered items that UA has! Especially for breakfast!! I wouldn't have passed it up
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by fly747first
I wonder when UA will ever get rid of those horrible domestic F glasses they inherited from CO.
Agreed! I bought a bunch of the old UA first class glasses on ebay. They are so superior to the CO glasses. Show me a single decent bar anywhere in the US that serves cocktails in tall thin glasses like the CO ones we now have to tolerate.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly747first
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
Agreed! I bought a bunch of the old UA first class glasses on ebay. They are so superior to the CO glasses. Show me a single decent bar anywhere in the US that serves cocktails in tall thin glasses like the CO ones we now have to tolerate.
Spotted ca. December of last year.

Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
/\ amazing. This many years after the merger these things are still floating around.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
UA 937 IAH-SFO
B739
United First
2016/04/24

Nothing to complain. Enjoyed it.
Attached Images  

Last edited by jazzhou; Oct 13, 2016 at 10:32 pm
Old May 1, 2016, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
UA 6273 MSY-IAD, 4/28
CR700, seat 2A

This was a first for me--choosing to pay more for a seat up front. The premium for an A fare was reasonable (as in, I paid less than what AA wanted for its MSY-DCA nonstop in Y), and I knew that in the back I'd only get a snackbox and might not have time to grab anything better at the airport after rushing out of a conference that afternoon. And the PQD requirement meant I'd either have to do this at some point or spend as much money and a lot more time on a mileage run. Well played, UA; you got me good.

Anyway, this turned out to be money well spent. After a PDB and then a serving of cold nuts after takeoff, the ridiculously cheerful FA offered a choice of a buffalo chicken wrap or a salad. I went with the wrap, which came with a salad in which every leaf of lettuce was fresh (can't say the same for the prepackaged dressing) as well as a plate of grapes. The tanginess of the bleu cheese in the wrap paired well with that earlier sweetness. Dessert was an enormous triple-chocolate cookie and a Buffalo Trace on the rocks.

Great all around, especially when you think that a few years ago the meal upfront would have consisted of getting the snackbox for free.
Attached Images  
Old May 2, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
On my April 30th flight I noticed the May issue of Hemispheres was in the seat pocket. I saw a few changes to the beverages/snacks offered. I no longer saw the Sam Adams beer and now saw the Traveler's Grapefruit Shandy. I also saw that the trail mix had been removed from the snack section and had been replaced by Garrett's Popcorn.

I think the shandy will be a nice addition for the summer months. I asked for one but was laughed at and told by the FA, "not on my plane"! Has anyone else tried ordering one of these?
Old May 3, 2016, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Great meal EWR/ORD this afternoon.

Hit nuts.
Mushroom risotto with three well cooked asparagus spears - tasty.
Nice salad of fresh mixed greens orange and grapefruit wedges. Served with a raspberry acia vinaigrette that combined like someone cared.
Well heated chocolate chip cookie.

I'd call it mid-tier restaurant quality.
Old May 4, 2016, 7:09 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by milepig
Great meal EWR/ORD this afternoon.

Hit nuts.
Ouch! Glad the food was ok at least!
Old May 4, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Ouch! Glad the food was ok at least!
Probably so dizzy, he couldn't tell what he was eating . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.