Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Old Mar 21, 16, 2:32 pm
  #181  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: DEN
Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Posts: 1,254
Originally Posted by qukslvr619 View Post
The chicken quality is much better than the 2013 version though the corn salsa had a little more flavor if I recall correctly.

Needless to say its nice to have something decent on Express flights; granted the snack plates seemed to be superior to the hot entrées so if there were any carryovers thankfully it was the better of the two.
I was going to say, I don't think I've seen this meal in over 3+ years. When it was served, it was definitely on longer mainline mid-cons. More than fine for Express.

The SFO-IAD flight has a nice cut of beef but I can't rally behind UA's new salads. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that doesn't want goat cheese, pineapple or oranges in a salad. They seem to keep the International J & F salad catering very traditional but domestic they get edgier. Any idea why?

For desert, I liked them more traditional and not a fan of sorbet (really just don't like citrus in general). They ever think about switching back to Gelato or Ice Cream on T-Cons?
REPUBLIC757 is offline  
Old Mar 21, 16, 2:43 pm
  #182  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: BOS
Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Posts: 2,305
Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757 View Post
The SFO-IAD flight has a nice cut of beef but I can't rally behind UA's new salads. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that doesn't want goat cheese, pineapple or oranges in a salad. They seem to keep the International J & F salad catering very traditional but domestic they get edgier. Any idea why?
Here's part of why, though for now it only applies to p.s. flights:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...erProject.aspx

International premium meals haven't yet been touched, which is why we still see so many pork chops and spinach canneloni.

I hear what you're saying about wanting more traditional salads, but don't knock the new concoctions until you've tried them. Goat cheese is about the mildest, creamiest cheese you can eat; it's basically cream cheese with a bit more structure.
RandomBaritone is online now  
Old Mar 21, 16, 2:52 pm
  #183  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: DEN
Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Posts: 1,254
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone View Post
Here's part of why, though for now it only applies to p.s. flights:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...erProject.aspx

I hear what you're saying about wanting more traditional salads, but don't knock the new concoctions until you've tried them. Goat cheese is about the mildest, creamiest cheese you can eat; it's basically cream cheese with a bit more structure.
Goat cheese is the same in the air as on the ground for me. I've had a bite of DL's goat cheese on a F domestic lunch one time (not knowing I was eating it) and couldn't finish the rest. Any kind of Brie, Goat, etc - not my thing.
REPUBLIC757 is offline  
Old Mar 21, 16, 3:47 pm
  #184  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 11,212
Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757 View Post
The SFO-IAD flight has a nice cut of beef but I can't rally behind UA's new salads. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that doesn't want goat cheese, pineapple or oranges in a salad.
I have to disagree; I think the new salads are great and I like the variety introduced by adding new fruits and cheeses. To each his own, but I'm quite happy to see goat cheese and citrus in my salad.
findark is offline  
Old Mar 21, 16, 5:44 pm
  #185  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NYC (Primarily EWR)
Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Posts: 6,994
Originally Posted by findark View Post
I have to disagree; I think the new salads are great and I like the variety introduced by adding new fruits and cheeses. To each his own, but I'm quite happy to see goat cheese and citrus in my salad.
I wish they would have some other salad dressing besides olive oil (which is not even salad dressing!!).
PsiFighter37 is offline  
Old Mar 21, 16, 6:54 pm
  #186  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MRY - CNX - TXL
Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Posts: 7,060
Originally Posted by findark View Post
I have to disagree; I think the new salads are great and I like the variety introduced by adding new fruits and cheeses. To each his own, but I'm quite happy to see goat cheese and citrus in my salad.
I'm with you the new salads are fantastic and things I would order on the ground.
JVPhoto is offline  
Old Mar 21, 16, 11:33 pm
  #187  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 21
Any of you have any experience with the Vegetarian, no dairy breakfast options? I'm flying from SFO-EWR on BF next week and was wondering if I should bring any food with me instead. Thanks!
raik783 is offline  
Old Mar 22, 16, 6:32 am
  #188  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Boston, MA USA
Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
Posts: 344
Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
3/6 UA15 EWR-HNL

Breakfast - Choice of Quiche, Crepe, or cereal


Lunch - Chicken Sandwich - No choice
Did the crepe replace the French toast casserole/soufflé everyone raves about?
FBWFTW is offline  
Old Mar 22, 16, 6:53 am
  #189  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: STL
Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,311
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
I'm with you the new salads are fantastic and things I would order on the ground.
So I take it you aren't from the crowd that would rather have iceberg lettuce, ranch, and croutons?

Don't get me wrong, I love a carb laden salad every now and then, but I am happy to see UA look beyond the standard salad fare and mix it up. Internationally they could definitely use a refresh. But the key thing that UA has been going for lately is restaurant quality. Unless you are dining at Denny's, then most salads featured at restaurants are going to be more substantial or at least have a variety of ingredients. Granted I'm not a fan of spinach on a plane (it doesn't seems to hold well and either its half frozen or wilted) or kale for that matter (I can't jump on the love of kale bandwagon it seems too 'rough'), but again from where we were two years ago I'll take what they are offering.
qukslvr619 is offline  
Old Mar 22, 16, 7:21 am
  #190  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Washington DC, DCA
Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
Posts: 3,934
I think they do experiments domestically because most of domestic F consists of either buy-ups at relatively low cash amounts and/or upgraders, so they have more room to "play around" and see results of what passengers like and don't like. Their rationale is that most people are getting upgraded to F for free, thus they don't really have "room" to complain.

International premium cabins get more true paid fares, so more likely for passengers to complain about a meal they don't like. Therefore, they probably play it safe on int'l routes and provide traditional meals so people won't complain as much.
MrAndy1369 is offline  
Old Mar 22, 16, 7:27 am
  #191  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MRY - CNX - TXL
Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Posts: 7,060
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369 View Post
I think they do experiments domestically because most of domestic F consists of either buy-ups at relatively low cash amounts and/or upgraders, so they have more room to "play around" and see results of what passengers like and don't like. Their rationale is that most people are getting upgraded to F for free, thus they don't really have "room" to complain.

International premium cabins get more true paid fares, so more likely for passengers to complain about a meal they don't like. Therefore, they probably play it safe on int'l routes and provide traditional meals so people won't complain as much.
While I disagree with your assessment of domestic F my guess is that it came first because domestic catering stations and sourcing of goods is easier/controlled/shorter reach than dealing with a bunch of different catering in MEL, BOM, HKG, GUM, TXL, TLV and so on...
JVPhoto is offline  
Old Mar 22, 16, 8:19 am
  #192  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: CT/NY
Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 4,455
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
I wish they would have some other salad dressing besides olive oil (which is not even salad dressing!!).
That's changing - most recent p.s. meals have real dressings. Balsamic vinaigrette on one flight, and mango balsamic on another.
PTahCha is offline  
Old Mar 22, 16, 10:33 am
  #193  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: DEN
Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Posts: 1,254
Originally Posted by findark View Post
I have to disagree; I think the new salads are great and I like the variety introduced by adding new fruits and cheeses. To each his own, but I'm quite happy to see goat cheese and citrus in my salad.
I think they should go one step further and allow pax to custom order salads online or on the plane. Just a suggestion for those who don't want anything out of the ordinary.
REPUBLIC757 is offline  
Old Mar 22, 16, 11:39 pm
  #194  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by raik783 View Post
Any of you have any experience with the Vegetarian, no dairy breakfast options? I'm flying from SFO-EWR on BF next week and was wondering if I should bring any food with me instead. Thanks!
Just bumping this. Any of you guys have any advice? Thanks!
raik783 is offline  
Old Mar 22, 16, 11:55 pm
  #195  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MRY - CNX - TXL
Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Posts: 7,060
Originally Posted by raik783 View Post
Just bumping this. Any of you guys have any advice? Thanks!
I would bring food. You'll most likely have to choose lesser of the evils, pick at it as you can and eat your own stuff as well.
JVPhoto is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: