Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Let's Eat - International GlobalFirst, BusinessFirst, & Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Let's Eat - International GlobalFirst, BusinessFirst, & Business

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I think you mean J seats, since there are no planes in the UA fleet that have the true Polaris seats.
All J is now called Polaris, so the poster is technically correct.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
All J is now called Polaris, so the poster is technically correct.
I believe it's called Polaris class but the seats are not polais seats as they haven't come on line yet. This is where UA has failed.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold

The veal appetizer was horrid. Besides behind heavily sauced, the "tomato" sauce had the consistency of canned tuna. (To my luck, I hate canned tuna.) I couldn't finish it and was offered extra salad or bread, which I declined.

I know the menu says "tomato" sauce, but I wonder if it's a typo (a la "Chicken Tikka Marsala"), because that dish looks a LOT like veal with tonnato sauce.

Reference image: http://www.cosiitaliano.com/826/vite...th-tuna-sauce/

It is indeed a sauce made from canned tuna! I wonder if the person who typed up the menu saw "tonnato" and linked the two n's to make an m by mistake
Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Clearly the UA executive in charge of food menus knows nothing about food.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
That's pretty hilarious that the menu copy editor assumed that tonnato was a misspelling of tomato.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Dec 18
LHR-EWR
Boeing 767-300

I was excited for my first "Polaris" flight, and the flight attendants seemed to be pretty positive too - in the PA announcements they would say "Thank you for flying United Polaris" like it was the new name for the airline

The flight attendants were great on my flight, and I liked the new features of the service like the dessert cart. But besides the new options for dessert, the food seemed more or less the similar as before (salmon appetizer much like previous offerings, salmon or charcuterie plate before landing, no big differences in presentation of the main course...)

Pre-departure beverage, with the chocolate.

Mimosa in a cute narrow glass, from the Bloody Mary / Mimosa cart

Salad with papaya served with olive oil and mango-flavored vinegar, beet-marinated salmon with beet slices, pre-plated bread.

My first choice of main was the Chicken Tikka "Marsala," but the flight attendant grabbed me on the way back from the bathroom and asked for my second choice, which was the Lemongrass Salmon. I think I remember reading upthread (or in the other Polaris thread) that they were loading more meals to give more people first choice... that might have only been for the first few days of the Polaris launch. Really wish they had pre-order capability!

The salmon was okay, just no lemongrass flavor at all, and a bit boring. The presentation could also use help, as the salmon's buried under all of that rice.

Pre-plated cheese course. The one with the cranberries was pretty good.

I really like having non-ice cream dessert options! I had a pistachio macaron (pleasantly surprised that the flight attendant knew the flavors!), plus a mini tiramisu cup and small raspberry cheesecake square. I enjoyed them all, but the tiramisu and cheesecake had a Jello texture (i.e. not really like tiramisu or cheesecake).

After having salmon for the appetizer and salmon for the main, I did not feel like salmon again for pre-arrival snack, and didn't care for the other option, the charcuterie plate. On previous flights on United, I have had the occasion where I've had salmon 3 times on the same flight! I was going to request the mid-flight hot snack, the Shepherd's Pie, to be served instead, and was happy that this was proactively offered as a third option to all passengers. It was fine.

I read in other posts, that there are chocolates that maybe were supposed to be distributed after the meal. These never came.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
New thread for 2017 now open. Mods, please close this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-business.html
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
New thread for 2017 now open. Mods, please close this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-business.html
Done

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.