Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Let's Eat - International GlobalFirst, BusinessFirst, & Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Let's Eat - International GlobalFirst, BusinessFirst, & Business

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
UA 882 NRT-ORD January 11 - I didn't eat any food other than the soup (decent) and since it was NRT - I inhaled as much garlic bread as they gave me - otherwise not much new - but they did have the same decent wines again from my recent SIN-NRT flight...

ETA - sorry about the sideways image, still haven't figured out why my iPhone does this...
Attached Images  
Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:08 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
On sfo-syd in GF last week, no cart, just the same plated cheese plate as in BF. Haven't seen the cart in months.....
Ankther data point. On syd sfo gf today they had the cart. Same 3 types but much better quality than ex sfo. Wine was better too.

Last edited by 1k-all-the-way; Jan 11, 2016 at 7:09 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
On sfo-syd in GF last week, no cart, just the same plated cheese plate as in BF. Haven't seen the cart in months.....
IME the cart is pretty consistent in GF on the 747 (when the 747 hasn't gone MX and I'm on an AC 777 instead ).

The only time I didn't get cheese from a cart is when I delayed my meal for a few hours. The very kind FA offered to bring me the cart but said the cheese had been out since the meal service and was likely a bit dry. She brought me a plate up from BF because they come with the plastic covers that keep the pre-sliced cheese from getting dry.

Now, that's service!
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
On LHR-IAH yesterday, FA brought me a plate, then a few minutes later wheeled the cart and cut the cheese for the customers behind me! Talk about inconsistent! ( I was in 4D 'bulkhead' on 787)
Old Jan 15, 2016, 1:59 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
UA930 SFO-LHR 7:25pm-2:05pm+1 GlobalFirst

Best UA crew I've ever had. LHR based, very international crew, attentive, preemptive.

The little empanada was good, the cold corn was okay.

Very good soup, loved the semi-dried tomatoes.

Boring salad, bad dressing. Pepper from a mill. (from the cart)

Tasty, moist and well plated chicken.

Just a little cheese nibble (from the cart).

I skipped the ice cream.

Also skipped the breakfast in lieu of my own.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
IME the cart is pretty consistent in GF on the 747 (when the 747 hasn't gone MX and I'm on an AC 777 instead ).

What's so bad about the Canadian cheese served by AC?
Old Jan 15, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by transportprof
What's so bad about the Canadian cheese served by AC?
Nothing at all!

The angry face was about the canceled flight due to 747 MX, not about the Canadian cheese. Promise.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:33 am

Regarding the cheese, on a BF flight from the US to Europe last December, the cheese plate was pre-packaged. I thought that was strange as on my previous BF flights I remember it being on a cart and portioned out by FAs if you wanted any. However, on the way back in January (also in BF), it was on a cart. Catering inconsistency I guess.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by windhund
Regarding the cheese, on a BF flight from the US to Europe last December, the cheese plate was pre-packaged. I thought that was strange as on my previous BF flights I remember it being on a cart and portioned out by FAs if you wanted any. However, on the way back in January (also in BF), it was on a cart. Catering inconsistency I guess.
3-cabin airplanes get a pre-plated cheese service, 2-cabin aircraft get it off the cart. The other difference between the two BF services would be the salad and appetizer served on a tray at the same time. Pre-plated cheese on a 2-cabin flight would be an error.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
3-cabin airplanes get a pre-plated cheese service, 2-cabin aircraft get it off the cart. The other difference between the two BF services would be the salad and appetizer served on a tray at the same time. Pre-plated cheese on a 2-cabin flight would be an error.
SFO-LHR two days ago was very much a cart in GF.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
ORD -> FRA
GF 777

First time in a LONG time that I actually began my trip at ORD instead of a connecting flight from DAY...thanks to UAX cancellation and a last minute rental car dash overnight.

Was nice to use the GF check-in area, though I was not impressed with the staff there. No other customers for the 4 of them and really felt like I was intruding on their time. Not helpful in the least. But probably better for another thread, so on to the food:

First some bubbly at the GFL.

Warm nuts with drinks. Refills on both.

It always amuses me how small the soup bowls are. Typically the best part of the meal and the tiniest portion. Must be some expensive soup...

Really poor garlic bread. Only when departing NRT has the garlic bread been consistently excellent.

Elected to pass on the arrival service and partake at the lounge in FRA instead. Wasn't anything too exciting to miss.

Service was very good throughout the flight. Slept very well, like always, on the United GF seat.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by goodeats21
ORD -> FRA GF 777

That does not look like any tabbouleh that I've ever had. How was it?
Old Jan 15, 2016, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by 1kBill
That does not look like any tabbouleh that I've ever had. How was it?
I guess I would have to say "forgettable" as I really don't recall much about it. Vaguely recall it tasted strongly of onion?

Most of the time, I find the hot starter in GF to be meh.

I would prefer they ditch it all together and serve a much larger portion of the soup. It is not like we are talking about LH's multi-round of apps when it comes to the lonely single piece of shrimp.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
UA930 SFO-LHR 7:25pm-2:05pm+1 GlobalFirst

Best UA crew I've ever had. LHR based, very international crew, attentive, preemptive.
Thanks for the feedback. What equipment was this on?
Did you happen to notice the wine selection?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Thanks for the feedback. What equipment was this on?
Did you happen to notice the wine selection?
No I didn't. I'm used to 2 cabin where in BF it's just a generic blurb about red & white so I didn't look.
When I fly back LHR-LAX I'll take note and post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.