Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Boarding door closed and seat given away 25 mins before departure. Any recourse?

Boarding door closed and seat given away 25 mins before departure. Any recourse?

Old Jan 2, 16, 9:58 am
  #121  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 41,381
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
Huh? I consider myself a pretty experienced traveler, and that's nonsense. Anyone blaming the OP for not being there earlier... sheesh, it's 100% on the GA here, folks.
Seriously. Lots of nonsense in this thread.

An additional consideration here is that UA rarely commences boarding at the time stated on the bp. I typically show up at the gate at T-20 and half the time they haven't even started boarding yet.
Kacee is online now  
Old Jan 2, 16, 10:03 am
  #122  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,805
Originally Posted by raehl311 View Post
Booting a passenger with a paid ticket to close early IS uncommon.
I have never, ever, heard of it happening. Note the GA closed the boarding, and booted a paid passenger who had already checked in, at T-26 minutes.

If this was a common occurrence this thread would be filled with others experiences. It isn't. The customer showed up at the gate well within the legally prescribed guidelines and the de facto guidelines and with plenty of time to board the plane but was booted due to the arbitrary actions of a GA. He/She has every right to be upset about it
Surftel is offline  
Old Jan 2, 16, 10:03 am
  #123  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Posts: 12,268
I find UA usually boards on time.

What I find most disturbing about the op's description is the reaction of the gate agent.
zrs70 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 16, 10:05 am
  #124  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: DEN
Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Posts: 15,357
Originally Posted by sapguy View Post
...As I've said a couple times in this thread, you need to be at the gate early at UX airports, and I agree with LaserSailor that the experienced & smart traveler makes decisions based on what is important to him, e.g. making the flight or spending a few more minutes with the family. That way, there is no need to rely on 'legal rights' which will not get you back everything that you lost.
I'm totally with you and LaserSailor on this one. There's no point in pushing the limits when the potential consequences are as serious as missing a flight. Sure, it may be uncommon to have a rogue GA hose you, but the chance is clearly > 0. Newbies take note!!!
Bonehead is offline  
Old Jan 2, 16, 10:06 am
  #125  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SEA, DUD, GLA
Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Posts: 462
Originally Posted by LaserSailor View Post
T-15 isn't the boarding time. It's the last opportunity to board.
Apparently not in this case.
SeaProf is offline  
Old Jan 2, 16, 10:07 am
  #126  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ORD/MDW/MKE
Programs: DL, UA
Posts: 773
Just to play devils advocate here, I know that at DL sometimes departure times can get pushed up in order to help congestion at a hub or whatnot. I don't know if UA does this, but could it be possible they did? *IF* they decided to post a departure time 10 minutes earlier than scheduled, being at the gate 21 minutes before departure or whenever the OP arrived would in fact be within the 15 minute window of the new departure time and the GA's actions would have been exactly by the books. I know I have seen this exact scenario happen at DL before, even when the flight wasn't overbooked.

Now all that being said, I would say this scenario is very unlikely and it is far more likely that the GA decided to drop his seat early and try to weasel out of IDB, but it's important to consider other perspectives too!
WidgetKid is offline  
Old Jan 2, 16, 10:21 am
  #127  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 42,960
Originally Posted by WidgetKid View Post
Just to play devils advocate here, I know that at DL sometimes departure times can get pushed up in order to help congestion at a hub or whatnot. I don't know if UA does this, but could it be possible they did? *IF* they decided to post a departure time 10 minutes earlier than scheduled, being at the gate 21 minutes before departure or whenever the OP arrived would in fact be within the 15 minute window of the new departure time and the GA's actions would have been exactly by the books. I know I have seen this exact scenario happen at DL before, even when the flight wasn't overbooked.

Now all that being said, I would say this scenario is very unlikely and it is far more likely that the GA decided to drop his seat early and try to weasel out of IDB, but it's important to consider other perspectives too!
That is an entirely different issue. IDB rules apply when one meets the carrier's check-in and gate deadlines as determined by the carrier (generally T-30 and T-15 for UA domestic) AND you are not accommodated due to an oversale.
Often1 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 16, 10:23 am
  #128  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ORD/MDW/MKE
Programs: DL, UA
Posts: 773
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
That is an entirely different issue. IDB rules apply when one meets the carrier's check-in and gate deadlines as determined by the carrier (generally T-30 and T-15 for UA domestic) AND you are not accommodated due to an oversale.
I'm perfectly aware of that. What I'm saying is what if the departure time was moved up (not just the GA trying to get it out early - the airline actually posting an earlier departure time) and in fact he did not meet the gate deadline of the new departure time? In that case, he would not be eligible for IDB (assuming the flight was oversold in the first place).
WidgetKid is offline  
Old Jan 2, 16, 10:31 am
  #129  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,805
To be fair, with United's terrible on time performance stated boarding times are usually more of a guesstimate then reality
Surftel is offline  
Old Jan 2, 16, 10:43 am
  #130  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CAK/CLE
Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Gold,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Posts: 629
Originally Posted by WidgetKid View Post
I'm perfectly aware of that. What I'm saying is what if the departure time was moved up (not just the GA trying to get it out early - the airline actually posting an earlier departure time) and in fact he did not meet the gate deadline of the new departure time? In that case, he would not be eligible for IDB (assuming the flight was oversold in the first place).
Once they allow people to check in and receive BPs that show a departure time (and boarding start/end times) they need to stick with those boarding and departure times, not pushing earlier, OR be prepared to pay bumped passengers who would have made it legally for the original flight time but miss the new, earlier departure. That's a cost of doing business that way, if the company chooses to do so. (i.e., moving the departure 10 minutes earlier than scheduled is okay IF the company is willing to pay, without obstruction or objection, the appropriate restitution to ticketed passengers who miss the flight because of the early departure but wouldn't have missed it if it weren't early.)
UAzip is offline  
Old Jan 2, 16, 11:01 am
  #131  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: EAU
Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 4,550
Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995 View Post
UA has already violated the DOT IDB rules by not providing immediate compensation in the form of cash or cash equivalent, and by not notifying the OP of his IDB rights. Both of these appear to be common violations by UA, so I would add that a significant fine for UA is also in order.
Well, we should note that it's actually whichever UX carrier that serves Lincoln that didn't fulfill their legal obligations and would be on the hook for the fine.

But I agree that, unless EQM are the most important thing to OP, he should go straight to DoT complaint. The airline relies on passengers not knowing their rights and DoT needs to know when airlines are doing that so there is enforcement action and the airlines fulfill their responsibilities.
raehl311 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 16, 11:18 am
  #132  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Posts: 2,596
Originally Posted by Surftel View Post
Yeah, it is nonsense.

Basically we should ignore whatever United puts on their boarding passes, websites, etc. as United can and will arbitrarily change this without notice.

Experience travelers should show up a day early and pitch a tent at the gate to insure they make their flight. United can start selling tent space and spin it as a "Change you are going to like"
At DUB station once in the CO days, I showed up at the check in counter with a printed on line boarding pass which stated to be at the airport 90 minutes before the scheduled departure time. The desk agent, crossed that out and wrote in place a time that was 120 minutes before scheduled departure time, and asked me to initial to "show I understood I needed to be at the airport 120 minutes ahead of departure time". I refused to initial, stating it's stupid to ask me to acknowledge understanding of something after the fact. This nonsense of assuming responsibility for something that is never communicated as an expectation ahead of time is humorous at least.
transportbiz is offline  
Old Jan 2, 16, 1:02 pm
  #133  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: EAU
Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 4,550
I haven't been 120 minutes early to the airport... ever.
raehl311 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 16, 1:22 pm
  #134  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,072
Originally Posted by LaserSailor View Post
It's not cheating to board early. It's only cheating if pax are off loaded before T-15 and they show up. I share the same experience at out stations, btw, ergo I arrive at T-30.

T-15 isn't the boarding time. It's the last opportunity to board. Claiming its your boarding time is pure DYKWIA.
It's cheating to board early and then close the door early if a ticketed, checked-in passenger hasn't boarded. This is basic stuff; can't believe it's even being debated.
jsk1973 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 16, 2:07 pm
  #135  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: AA DULtArer
Posts: 5,525
Originally Posted by jsk1973 View Post
It's cheating to board early and then close the door early if a ticketed, checked-in passenger hasn't boarded. This is basic stuff; can't believe it's even being debated.
Not if the same passenger is duly boarded by reopening the door. This happened to me three times in 2015.
LaserSailor is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread