Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Boarding door closed and seat given away 25 mins before departure. Any recourse?

Boarding door closed and seat given away 25 mins before departure. Any recourse?

Old Jan 1, 16, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by fly18725 View Post
If a passenger's boarding pass was scanned by the TSA, e.g. mobile or Pre-Check, the airlines are able to see if the passenger cleared security, but to my knowledge, not when.
Do you have any citations for this? This is the first time I've heard of anything like it in the US. Also, re: paper BPs: every time I used a paper BP during this holiday travel, the BP was scanned at the checkpoint. Precheck wouldn't work without scanning, because someone could just photoshop a PC logo onto their BP (any other issues with TSA notwithstanding).
Old Jan 1, 16, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs View Post
Do you have any citations for this? This is the first time I've heard of anything like it in the US. Also, re: paper BPs: every time I used a paper BP during this holiday travel, the BP was scanned at the checkpoint. Precheck wouldn't work without scanning, because someone could just photoshop a PC logo onto their BP (any other issues with TSA notwithstanding).
No, I don't have a link I can post.
Old Jan 1, 16, 10:46 am

Programs: AA DULtArer
The extra time you spend with the family between T-30 and T-15 will cause you to miss a flight if you fly frequently. Yes, you will get compensation for this. I'll bet you don't play this time off when your heading home as explaining to your SO that you got 5000 miles won't cut it

There was weather and stress in the system this week, but any experienced traveler knew that.

Last edited by LaserSailor; Jan 1, 16 at 11:38 am
Old Jan 1, 16, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LaserSailor View Post

There was weather and stress in the system this week, but any experienced traveler new that.
Sorry I go into weather/stress with the mental prep that I may be sitting in the airport for an extra 2-4 hours. I still show up on time. The OP showed up on time. I don't understand someone trying to place the blame on the OP and not UA for not following their listed time frames as given to passengers.
Old Jan 1, 16, 11:43 am

Programs: AA DULtArer
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
Sorry I go into weather/stress with the mental prep that I may be sitting in the airport for an extra 2-4 hours. I still show up on time. The OP showed up on time. I don't understand someone trying to place the blame on the OP and not UA for not following their listed time frames as given to passengers.
If this is important to you.

" I state that this is UAs fault for not following the published guideline of the T-15 offload cutoff"

For those who want to get from A to B, get to gate by T-30 at latest.
Old Jan 1, 16, 12:02 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LaserSailor View Post
For those who want to get from A to B, get to gate by T-30 at latest.
Because UA is known for organized on-time boarding, of course.
Old Jan 1, 16, 12:09 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
Had a handful of flights in late Nov and early Dec, and many pushed back early

NOT what I'm used to, so a nice change for the better Hope it lasts and that no one was left behind.
Old Jan 1, 16, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
While I disagree with the poster you responded to, IME it's pretty common at small airports to even start boarding early. A number of times I've shown up before boarding time and they're already on Group 2.

It's just a different world than the large or medium size airports. I fly into them a lot and find it to be quite pleasant, unless you get delayed and the only amenity is a generic coffee cart with bags of chips.

Doesn't change the fact that the GA screwed up, but it's not because of early boarding.
Old Jan 1, 16, 12:21 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord View Post
While I disagree with the poster you responded to, IME it's pretty common at small airports to even start boarding early. A number of times I've shown up before boarding time and they're already on Group 2.
I'm always delayed at small airports. Maybe I'm just unlucky? Or a symptom of afternoon planes that originate in ORD to come get me from small airports? I just have had very different experiences in the last few years.
Old Jan 1, 16, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
I'm always delayed at small airports. Maybe I'm just unlucky? Or a symptom of afternoon planes that originate in ORD to come get me from small airports? I just have had very different experiences in the last few years.
I'd say a little unlucky. Delays happen anywhere. But on good weather days, I've just found that they board in time or early. Rarely the case at my home airport, ORD, where it seems it's always a couple minutes past the posted boarding time.

Delays and cancels at small airports can stink though. Once had to cram into a van to ride from HPN to LGA to catch the last flight home to ORD!
Old Jan 1, 16, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Most lounges don't make boarding calls.
Old Jan 1, 16, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH Gold, Marriott Plat
Nice try. Your bet is wrong and your statement is obviously ridiculous. The cop was watching our conversation with the GAs for 10-15 mins, not looking happy about me prolonging his work. Then, he couldn't stand it anymore came to me and said in a menacing way: "Tell you what, I will go review the TSA footage and if you are wrong, I will kick you out!" I was quite taken aback, as I thought I was within my rights to ask for compensation and talk to the GAs. I was already upset about missing my flight so I didn't hold back and asked him if he is threatening me. I also told him he is there to ensure my safety and not bully me. We exchanged a few more words, then he went to check the footage, was gone for 10 mins. Came back and said I was at the gate at 30 seconds after 8:05pm which was 40 second difference from the time on my watch but still well within the 15 min period. He then tried to ask the GAs what compensation then can give me but they shrugged and said nothing can be done. Then he came to me very apologetic, gave me his name and card and said I can quote him in my complaint. I appreciated that. I guess he felt bad for his rude behavior before. The point is, the cop came to me first and he was definitely not my friend to start.

As people pointed out above. I don't even need the TSA evidence, the time stamp on when I was offloaded should be enough, so there was no panic on my side.

Originally Posted by whitethunder View Post
There is NO WAY a TSA agent would go pull video for you to see what time you got to the gate, that is ridiculous. My bet is you went over to him in a panic and since he doesn't have to or need to deal with you, he agreed, "oh sure yeah it was 8:05" then rolled his eyes...

Good luck proving wheter or not you were on time by going by some off the cuff remark from a TSA agent.... Just complain via an email, and get some miles and move on....
Old Jan 1, 16, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
I thought the rule was that you must be onboard at least 10 minutes prior to the stated departure time but be in the gate area 30 minutes prior to boarding. Now for international flights they can begin boarding 60 minutes prior to departure which I have had happen and close the gate 15 minutes before departure to send the manifest to the TSA.
No. You must be at the gate at T-15 for domestic, T-30 for international. Those are UA's published rules and pax are entitled to rely upon them. The suggestions in this thread that OP was somehow obligated to be at the gate at T-30 are simply ridiculous.
Old Jan 1, 16, 2:28 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz Gold Plus
This community is generally a wealth of knowledge and information, but boy it can sure be a wealth of terrible misinformation and misplaced judgments.

I hope this doesn't violate the TOC's because it isn't "nice". To be sure, I will add this...

The GA was clearly wrong and you need to push with UA on the IDB. If after speaking with them they won't budge then file a DOT. At this point, what is the hurt?

I have a similar issue happening with a denied EU 261 claim because United said that the maintenance issue couldn't have been predicted and they took all necessary preventative steps. After a week long back and forth I will now go straight to the governing body. Again, at this point, what can it hurt?

Flights pushing early is one thing, but flights pushing early without all ticketed and confirmed passengers on board is something totally different.
Old Jan 1, 16, 2:32 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
No. You must be at the gate at T-15 for domestic, T-30 for international. Those are UA's published rules and pax are entitled to rely upon them. The suggestions in this thread that OP was somehow obligated to be at the gate at T-30 are simply ridiculous.
One could also add that if one were required to be at the gate by T-30 for domestic, then many people with perfectly fine and on time legal connections could be offloaded, as could be anyone who checks in or drops a bag on time at many USA airports, where T-30 is a common requirement for domestic check in and bag check.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Feb 5, 16 at 4:35 pm Reason: typo

Search this Thread