Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Boarding door closed and seat given away 25 mins before departure. Any recourse?

Boarding door closed and seat given away 25 mins before departure. Any recourse?

Old Dec 31, 15, 3:00 pm
  #46  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 42,880
OP - Make a claim to UA for 400% of the value of the segment, capped at $1,350 (the current maximum). Keep the complaint to 3-4 short declarative sentences. All that matters is that you were checked in prior to T-30, and at the gate by T-15 (UA's published minimums), that you had been off-loaded and the flight closed. That's all that matters. The rest is all fluff. What the cop, the TSA guy said, whether the GA was rude --- none of it matters. UA can see when you checked in and when you were off-loaded.

If you are compensated, all to the good. If you are not, pursue the DOT complaint and see what happens.
Often1 is offline  
Old Dec 31, 15, 3:06 pm
  #47  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 41,378
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The flight was served by a CRJ-200 with 50 passenger seats. DOT IDB rules exempt flights served by aircraft with less than 60 seats. Thus, while OP was likely involuntarily denied boarding, he is due $0 compensation.
Sorry, that is not correct.

The DOT IDB rules apply to all commercial aircraft with 30 or more seats.

Aircraft with capacity of 60 or fewer seats may be excepted but only based on weight/balance issues:
A passenger denied boarding involuntarily from an oversold flight hall not be eligible for denied boarding compensation if . . . on an aircraft with a designed passenger capacity of 60 or fewer seats, the flight for which the passenger holds confirmed reserved space is unable to accommodate that passenger due to weight/balance restrictions when required by operational or safety reasons
14 C.F.R. 250.6.

That exception obviously does not apply here. OP was told he was offloaded because he was too late. And the flight went out full.

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The DOT complaint is, of course, a waste, because there was no DOT violation.
There in fact likely was a DOT violation.

Moreover, there is no requirement that a complaint be based on a "DOT violation." Even when the issue falls outside existing DOT reg, a complaint may be appropriate because:

1. It helps DOT identify problem areas for future regulation.
2. It adds to the published complaint statistics.
3. It will be forwarded to UA for response, and will receive higher level attention than if made through the normal customer care channels.

Last edited by Kacee; Dec 31, 15 at 3:17 pm
Kacee is offline  
Old Dec 31, 15, 3:12 pm
  #48  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Programs: Global Entry
Posts: 429
Originally Posted by Baze View Post
But here is the rub on that. They offloaded the OP and filled his seat with another passenger so everyone was onboard. Just not the person who should have been. If all seats are filled then they can close the door and go. Where the problem is, is the GA offloaded the OP improperly before the cutoff time to make room for the other passenger. So the fault lies entirely with the GA in offloading the OP before the cutoff.
Yeah, but you can't offload a passenger who bought a seat until 10 minutes prior to departure, domestically. The gate screwed up, they should own up to that.
SPLITTERZ is offline  
Old Dec 31, 15, 3:13 pm
  #49  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 10,582
Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ View Post
Yeah, but you can't offload a passenger who bought a seat until 10 minutes prior to departure, domestically. The gate screwed up, they should own up to that.
Read what I wrote again. You just said the same thing. I said the GA screwed up. It is all on the GA. The plane was full so technically it could close door and go. 2 separate things.
Baze is offline  
Old Dec 31, 15, 3:15 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: LAX
Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Posts: 1,430
My buddy was a chief dispatcher at a certain airline that's no longer around a long time ago, and a GA tried to pull this shenanigan on him by pushing the plane back earlier and with an empty seat on board. My buddy walked over to the payphone, called his buddies in dispatch, and dispatch actually ordered the aircraft to go back to the gate to let him on. The GA was fuming, but she knew better than to try to retaliate, since my buddy reported to the airline's CEO from time to time regarding operations work...

I think another time a CO GA pulled a similar stunt on pax without realizing the pax was Larry Kellner, CEO at the time. She quickly found herself unemployed.
matrixwalker2012 is offline  
Old Dec 31, 15, 3:18 pm
  #51  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Posts: 2,596
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post



There in fact likely was a DOT violation.

Moreover, you don't seem to understand the purpose and process for DOT complaints. There is no requirement that a complaint be based on a "DOT violation." Even when the issue falls outside existing DOT reg, a complaint may be appropriate because:

1. It helps DOT identify problem areas for future regulation.
2. It adds to the published complaint statistics.
3. It will be forwarded to UA for response, and will receive higher level attention than if made through the normal customer care channels.
+1 I got to the point I never filed a complaint via the feedback, as it was seldom responded to. I would only file a complaint with the DOT, and it would for sure be responded to.

I've had this very thing happen to me on UA 3 times in the past 4 years.
transportbiz is offline  
Old Dec 31, 15, 4:01 pm
  #52  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,861
Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
GA has access to TSA information?
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
Does the GA have visibility of a pax clearing security?
If a passenger's boarding pass was scanned by the TSA, e.g. mobile or Pre-Check, the airlines are able to see if the passenger cleared security, but to my knowledge, not when.
fly18725 is offline  
Old Dec 31, 15, 4:13 pm
  #53  
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYJ/YVR/SEA
Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Posts: 13,263
Originally Posted by fly18725 View Post
If a passenger's boarding pass was scanned by the TSA, e.g. mobile or Pre-Check, the airlines are able to see if the passenger cleared security, but to my knowledge, not when.
Thanks, I did not know that. Learned something new today

Wait, you say Pre or mobile. Also plain old regular BPs I assume?
EmailKid is offline  
Old Dec 31, 15, 4:21 pm
  #54  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,861
Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
Thanks, I did not know that. Learned something new today

Wait, you say Pre or mobile. Also plain old regular BPs I assume?
The boarding pass has to be scanned. In regular screening lanes, I don't think the TSA scans paper passes.
fly18725 is offline  
Old Dec 31, 15, 4:24 pm
  #55  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Bay Area
Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Posts: 156
Originally Posted by fly18725 View Post
The boarding pass has to be scanned. In regular screening lanes, I don't think the TSA scans paper passes.
Huh? I've definitely had my paper boarding pass scanned to get through security.
fireflash is offline  
Old Dec 31, 15, 4:35 pm
  #56  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Posts: 2,596
Originally Posted by fly18725 View Post
The boarding pass has to be scanned. In regular screening lanes, I don't think the TSA scans paper passes.
Of course they do.
transportbiz is offline  
Old Dec 31, 15, 4:51 pm
  #57  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 8,320
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
This thread is full of terrible advice. And the conclusions are simply wrong.
Did you mean the advice and conclusions that you posted after those two sentences?

Whether it's a IDB or not (and others have already cited the rules for it), the DoT has a service complaint form on their website that can be used for any service related complaints. If this wasn't a service related issue, I don't know what would count as one.

The only reason why I wouldn't start whit a DoT complaint is if the OP wants to try and salvage the EQMs. For that I would start with UA.
notquiteaff is offline  
Old Dec 31, 15, 5:02 pm
  #58  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,861
Originally Posted by fireflash View Post
Huh? I've definitely had my paper boarding pass scanned to get through security.
You can tell it's been a while since I went through a regular line with a paper boarding pass.
fly18725 is offline  
Old Dec 31, 15, 5:08 pm
  #59  
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,988
Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ View Post
Yeah, but you can't offload a passenger who bought a seat until 10 minutes prior to departure, domestically. The gate screwed up, they should own up to that.
I believe that is 15 minutes per the CoC for domestic flights except Guam and PR; 30 minutes for international flights, Guam and PR. I don't know where you got 10 minutes.
Ari is offline  
Old Dec 31, 15, 5:13 pm
  #60  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 41,378
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
I believe that is 15 minutes per the CoC for domestic flights except Guam and PR; 30 minutes for international flights, Guam and PR. I don't know where you got 10 minutes.
People confuse the cut-off with the door closing. They can offload pax at 15 and they close the door (theoretically) at 10.
Kacee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread