Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Boarding door closed and seat given away 25 mins before departure. Any recourse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding door closed and seat given away 25 mins before departure. Any recourse?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The GA deserves to be fired.

When did the OP call UA to request the refund? Can this provide evidence of when the GA denied boarding?

Is it possible for the GA somehow to close out the flight and remove the OP later? I would assume no if the OP's seat is given to a standby, but perhaps the GA could tell the standby to board and take any seat, thereby removing the OP from the flight later. In this case, the standby wouldn't have a boarding pass for the OP's seat, but many standby passengers would be glad to make the flight and therefore wouldn't object.

I'm suspicious about what the GA was doing when she disappeared and her male colleague (could he have been a supervisor or station manager?) appeared to talk with the OP. Suppose she went off to fix the record, with the guy helping to cover her posterior and hoping to convince the OP that there's no grounds for a complaint.

OTOH, since GAs can easily see FF status, one would think that they would be more cautious about trying to pull these stunts when the passenger is a HVC to UA and probably knows the rules.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

OTOH, since GAs can easily see FF status, one would think that they would be more cautious about trying to pull these stunts when the passenger is a HVC to UA and probably knows the rules.
This didn't stop an agent from doing exactly the same thing to me at LAX. The only difference was I knew the UA operations manager, and sent him a text message asking if he'd meet me in the lounge. Needless to say that fast tracked the situation. The agent wasn't fired (and nor do I think she should have been) but was subject to retraining.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
I placed the call to UA at 8:06pm (1 minute after I realized I would not be on the flight). While the officer was checking TSA footage the male GA asked me the same question. I even showed him the time of the call from my iPhone. He looked at it and went silent and continued to type in the computer. The question is, how and to whom I should send this evidence.

The GA deserves to be fired.

When did the OP call UA to request the refund? Can this provide evidence of when the GA denied boarding?

Is it possible for the GA somehow to close out the flight and remove the OP later? I would assume no if the OP's seat is given to a standby, but perhaps the GA could tell the standby to board and take any seat, thereby removing the OP from the flight later. In this case, the standby wouldn't have a boarding pass for the OP's seat, but many standby passengers would be glad to make the flight and therefore wouldn't object.

I'm suspicious about what the GA was doing when she disappeared and her male colleague (could he have been a supervisor or station manager?) appeared to talk with the OP. Suppose she went off to fix the record, with the guy helping to cover her posterior and hoping to convince the OP that there's no grounds for a complaint.

Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyersky1
I placed the call to UA at 8:06pm (1 minute after I realized I would not be on the flight). While the officer was checking TSA footage the male GA asked me the same question. I even showed him the time of the call from my iPhone. He looked at it and went silent and continued to type in the computer. The question is, how and to whom I should send this evidence.
The male GA should be fired too.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
The inconsistency of UA on this issue is maddening.

On our ps flights last weekend, they early boarded both flights such that the GAs were making "final call" when we showed up at the gate at T-25.
this deserves its own thread. it seems to be happening more often in the past few months.

it sucks to earn group 1 status, show up at the posted boarding time, get stares from people who think i'm cutting the line, and already have 2+ boarding groups of bags already in the overheads by the time i step aboard.... and not even leave early.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The question is, how and to whom I should send this evidence.
Get a print of your cell phone record and send it to DOT.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:28 pm

Shouldn't UA also have a time-stamped record of when the refund was requested, even if they claim not to have a recording of the phone call?

I would also think that a UA phone agent would be less willing to do the refund if he/she thought that the OP had simply arrived and missed the flight, but of course we don't know the OP's fare rules or even fare class.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shouldn't UA also have a time-stamped record of when the refund was requested, even if they claim not to have a recording of the phone call?
My experience is that the frontline employees claim they cannot see the PNR history, which you know exists. I wonder if they are really restricted from seeing it, which does not make sense.

Also, if you reward agents on on-time departure, they will do all they can to achieve that. It is all about metrics in many organizations nowadays. Common sense and customer satisfaction is secondary. You can't get in trouble if you follow the process and get the metrics right
Old Feb 6, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Get a print of your cell phone record and send it to DOT.
There's really no point in doing that - unless you can prove what was discussed on that call.

Perhaps the OP was calling United at that time to say he was running late and asking them to keep the flight open for him.

(Yes, I know that's not correct, you know it's not correct - but a call log doesn't prove anything)
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by docbert
There's really no point in doing that - unless you can prove what was discussed on that call.

Perhaps the OP was calling United at that time to say he was running late and asking them to keep the flight open for him.

(Yes, I know that's not correct, you know it's not correct - but a call log doesn't prove anything)
As it's not a court of law, I suspect it's not subject to federal rules of evidence.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
I have not heard from DOT yet but received a response from UA yesterday based on my DOT complaint. Instead of doing independent investigation, they again went and asked the same GA who said I was at the gate less than 15 mins before the flight. He even had the audacity to say that a police officer reviewed the TSA footage. Yes, he did, he confirmed I was at the gate at 8:05 with departure of 8:25. The GA of course doesn't mention the exact time. The police officer is not familiar with UA's 15 min rule. So I emailed DOT back explaining that and attaching the officer's business card if they want to follow that lead. It is just amazing how the GA lies again and UA does not do an independent investigation. As many of you mentioned earlier, the exact time I was offloaded should be time-stamped and easy to verify. Is that not the case?

Here's the main part of UA's response:

"...In an effort to ensure our flights leave the gate on time, we ask our
passengers to present themselves at the gate for boarding at least 15
minutes prior to scheduled departure for domestic flights. Not boarding
within this time may result in a loss of your seat assignment, cancelled
reservation, your luggage subject to being removed from the flight, and
you may not be eligible for denied boarding compensation. According to
the gate agent who assisted with the boarding for flight 6311 from
Lincoln to Denver on December 30, 2015, although you had checked in
earlier in the day, you arrived at the gate after the gate check-in
requirement. They indicated this information was verified with the Law
Enforcement Officer (LEO) when he looked at the surveillance video.

Check in times are established and enforced to allow the gate staff an
opportunity to complete boarding, process standby customers, accommodate
customers with special needs, complete all reports and ensure the flight
departs on time. Once these passengers have boarded, the flight may
close ahead of schedule, as in this instance. The airport agents are to
use good judgment when assisting a customer who arrives at the gate
after the required check in time. Unfortunately, there are instances
when authorization for check in after the cut off time cannot be
approved and the flight is closed.

We regret the frustration and or inconvenience this situation caused
you. Per the report from the gate agent, you did not meet the 15 minute
gate check in requirement and therefore were not eligible for the
involuntary denied boarding compensation, and I will have to
respectfully deny your request for 1000 PQM. Our records indicate a
refund was processed for your ticket...."

This is impressively bad behavior from United. I'm assuming that your account is true and verifiable — if so, UA's interaction with regulators (front end agents lying and corporate staff doubling down on the lie) is beyond the pale. You should absolutely provide the documentation that UA's staff lied to both the DOT and UA.

Please follow up when you have heard back from the DOT.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by mherdeg
This is impressively bad behavior from United. I'm assuming that your account is true and verifiable — if so, UA's interaction with regulators (front end agents lying and corporate staff doubling down on the lie) is beyond the pale. You should absolutely provide the documentation that UA's staff lied to both the DOT and UA.

Please follow up when you have heard back from the DOT.
I agree. The OP should be out for blood given what's happened and especially if there's documentation or even suggestive evidence of when the OP was offloaded.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by sapguy
Moral of the story: get to the gate EARLY, especially during the holiday travel season when it's insane, and especially at smaller airport where flight options are limited
uh the real moral of the story is that ua needs to "coach" that agent and the op is entitled compensation. i hate waiting at the gate and i shouldn't have to deal with it for 20 minutes more just because some agent working for ua decides to not follow sop. op shaming is not warranted here.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by phbl
uh the real moral of the story is that ua needs to "coach" that agent and the op is entitled compensation. i hate waiting at the gate and i shouldn't have to deal with it for 20 minutes more just because some agent working for ua decides to not follow sop. op shaming is not warranted here.
Plus there are times it's impossible when making a close connection.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by phbl
Say what you want, but until United gets around to doing such 'coaching' of their GAs, if they ever get around to doing it at all, you will be denied boarding, off loaded from the flight, and then come to this board to whine and rant, like the OP did

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.