Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Boarding door closed and seat given away 25 mins before departure. Any recourse?

Boarding door closed and seat given away 25 mins before departure. Any recourse?

Old Jan 9, 16, 7:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
So what's the end of the story, please? Did you ever get compensation? Sounds like you did not. Did you ever speak to a supervisor, or is that a waste of time?

I wonder if we would be debating this if it were an inexperienced flyer instead of someone who knows the rules?
Yes, I received a credit for future travel. They never admitted the GA lied and continued to infer I did

"Funny" thing. I then used the credit for a trip with my family. The return flight was on an ancient 20 year old plane. Shortly after takeoff, over water, electrical smoke comes from the rear of the plane. We return to HNL and landed heavy, with full fuel, damaging the landing gear. The rest of the trip home was 20 hours of chaos as United mishandled every element of it

The positive side was the United Pilots handed the situation like Pro's. Very impressed.
Old Jan 9, 16, 9:23 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by HkCaGu View Post
So let me see... To selfishly get your compensation ASAP, just skip the UA CS and go straight to DOT. But if you have the heart to serve the community at large, go first extract every juicy lie possible out of UA so they will more likely be fined and, preferrably/hopefully, people fired. What kind of company lures people to go this route?
I don't hope anyone gets fired over something like this. And chances are with labor laws and union protection they won't, but I do hope the fines from DOT begin to have an effect on how United treats its customers after they have messed up. Sadly, in a genuine customer focused business this doesn't have to come as a result of a regulatory government agency forcing it. Small government advocates lose out when crap like this happens and it becomes clear that business' will not do what's right on their own.
Old Jan 9, 16, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVP 75K, HH Diamond, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
I have seen a lot of early boarding lately. BP will state departure time of 9:30 and boarding time of 9:10. I show up at 9:05 and the gate agent tells me I'm the last one to board and they are waiting on me. So much for group 1 boarding and space for my bag in the overhead Has happened to me multiple times on UX flights - most recently in MOB.
Old Jan 9, 16, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe View Post
I have seen a lot of early boarding lately. BP will state departure time of 9:30 and boarding time of 9:10. I show up at 9:05 and the gate agent tells me I'm the last one to board and they are waiting on me. So much for group 1 boarding and space for my bag in the overhead Has happened to me multiple times on UX flights - most recently in MOB.
Nothing new if the aircraft is there IME (the post-merger issue was usually that the plane hadn't even arrived yet). I can recall several times this happening to me on PMUA, including one where pax onboard said, "Oh, the FA said 'take any seat,'" and thus my exit-row E120 seats were gone, or another where I got to the club in C at IAD, over an hour before departure, and the club agent says, "Your flight is already boarding, sir, and it's in another terminal!" I looked at the BP, said, "It's not scheduled to board for 45 more minutes!" Sure enough, after rushing to the gate, the GA was grumbling about me being the last pax and holding them up...
Old Jan 9, 16, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I am very frequently one of the last 5 people to board a plane and often the last one.

I can not recall the last time I didn't still have to wait in the jet bridge for the backup of people trying to stow baggage and get in their seats.
Old Jan 10, 16, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by flyersky1 View Post
Back on topic. I followed the advice of many of you and filed a complaint with UA CS and below is the (canned) response I received. Needless to say, after this response, I will file a DOT complaint as well. Any further advice and opinion is appreciated.

XXXX
Corporate Customer Care[/I]
I am surprised you got this response if it already came from corporate customer care. Last year I has an IDB EWR-BOS, sent a short Email to 1KVoice the same day with IDB in the subject and a 3 sentence paragraph what happened. Less than 24 hours later I got a call from Chicago with a generous travel voucher offer; no questions asked. The voucher was 2x what the cash IDB comp would have been.
Old Feb 5, 16, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Didn't cost me my seat, but they boarded my flight early this morning. I arrived exactly at the posted boarding time, and they were already into Group 5! Onboard, the F bins were full, though I managed to find space a few rows back for my bag (thankfully, my smallest rollaboard; my usual one wouldn't fit).

I appreciate getting out early as much as the next person, but why even publish a boarding time if it's not going to be followed?
Old Feb 5, 16, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
Didn't cost me my seat, but they boarded my flight early this morning. I arrived exactly at the posted boarding time, and they were already into Group 5! Onboard, the F bins were full, though I managed to find space a few rows back for my bag (thankfully, my smallest rollaboard; my usual one wouldn't fit).

I appreciate getting out early as much as the next person, but why even publish a boarding time if it's not going to be followed?
The inconsistency of UA on this issue is maddening.

On our ps flights last weekend, they early boarded both flights such that the GAs were making "final call" when we showed up at the gate at T-25.

Then on the other hand I can't even begin to count the number of times I've shown up at the gate 15 minutes after the "starts" time shown on my BP only to discover that they haven't even opened the door to the jetway yet.
Old Feb 5, 16, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I used to love this aspect of pmUA when they were rocking their on-time initiative. Absent posted delays, you could count on the boarding process being followed and starting right on time.
Old Feb 5, 16, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Back on topic. I followed the advice of many of you and filed a complaint with UA CS and below is the (canned) response I received. Needless to say, after this response, I will file a DOT complaint as well. Any further advice and opinion is appreciated.
It's been about a month. DOT complaints are usually resolved within a week. Can you share the outcome you've gotten?
Old Feb 5, 16, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Surftel View Post
Yes, I received a credit for future travel. They never admitted the GA lied and continued to infer I did

"Funny" thing. I then used the credit for a trip with my family. The return flight was on an ancient 20 year old plane. Shortly after takeoff, over water, electrical smoke comes from the rear of the plane. We return to HNL and landed heavy, with full fuel, damaging the landing gear. The rest of the trip home was 20 hours of chaos as United mishandled every element of it.
That's standard. Whenever UA has to give someone compensation they then make sure that the flight you use the certificate for is a complete disaster.
Old Feb 5, 16, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH Gold, Marriott Plat
I have not heard from DOT yet but received a response from UA yesterday based on my DOT complaint. Instead of doing independent investigation, they again went and asked the same GA who said I was at the gate less than 15 mins before the flight. He even had the audacity to say that a police officer reviewed the TSA footage. Yes, he did, he confirmed I was at the gate at 8:05 with departure of 8:25. The GA of course doesn't mention the exact time. The police officer is not familiar with UA's 15 min rule. So I emailed DOT back explaining that and attaching the officer's business card if they want to follow that lead. It is just amazing how the GA lies again and UA does not do an independent investigation. As many of you mentioned earlier, the exact time I was offloaded should be time-stamped and easy to verify. Is that not the case?

Here's the main part of UA's response:

"...In an effort to ensure our flights leave the gate on time, we ask our
passengers to present themselves at the gate for boarding at least 15
minutes prior to scheduled departure for domestic flights. Not boarding
within this time may result in a loss of your seat assignment, cancelled
reservation, your luggage subject to being removed from the flight, and
you may not be eligible for denied boarding compensation. According to
the gate agent who assisted with the boarding for flight 6311 from
Lincoln to Denver on December 30, 2015, although you had checked in
earlier in the day, you arrived at the gate after the gate check-in
requirement. They indicated this information was verified with the Law
Enforcement Officer (LEO) when he looked at the surveillance video.

Check in times are established and enforced to allow the gate staff an
opportunity to complete boarding, process standby customers, accommodate
customers with special needs, complete all reports and ensure the flight
departs on time. Once these passengers have boarded, the flight may
close ahead of schedule, as in this instance. The airport agents are to
use good judgment when assisting a customer who arrives at the gate
after the required check in time. Unfortunately, there are instances
when authorization for check in after the cut off time cannot be
approved and the flight is closed.

We regret the frustration and or inconvenience this situation caused
you. Per the report from the gate agent, you did not meet the 15 minute
gate check in requirement and therefore were not eligible for the
involuntary denied boarding compensation, and I will have to
respectfully deny your request for 1000 PQM. Our records indicate a
refund was processed for your ticket...."

Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post
It's been about a month. DOT complaints are usually resolved within a week. Can you share the outcome you've gotten?
Old Feb 5, 16, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
I have not heard from DOT yet but received a response from UA yesterday based on my DOT complaint. Instead of doing independent investigation, they again went and asked the same GA who said I was at the gate less than 15 mins before the flight. He even had the audacity to say that a police officer reviewed the TSA footage. Yes, he did, he confirmed I was at the gate at 8:05 with departure of 8:25. The GA of course doesn't mention the exact time. The police officer is not familiar with UA's 15 min rule. So I emailed DOT back explaining that and attaching the officer's business card if they want to follow that lead. It is just amazing how the GA lies again and UA does not do an independent investigation. As many of you mentioned earlier, the exact time I was offloaded should be time-stamped and easy to verify. Is that not the case?

Here's the main part of UA's response:

"...In an effort to ensure our flights leave the gate on time, we ask our
passengers to present themselves at the gate for boarding at least 15
minutes prior to scheduled departure for domestic flights. Not boarding
within this time may result in a loss of your seat assignment, cancelled
reservation, your luggage subject to being removed from the flight, and
you may not be eligible for denied boarding compensation. According to
the gate agent who assisted with the boarding for flight 6311 from
Lincoln to Denver on December 30, 2015, although you had checked in
earlier in the day, you arrived at the gate after the gate check-in
requirement. They indicated this information was verified with the Law
Enforcement Officer (LEO) when he looked at the surveillance video.

Check in times are established and enforced to allow the gate staff an
opportunity to complete boarding, process standby customers, accommodate
customers with special needs, complete all reports and ensure the flight
departs on time. Once these passengers have boarded, the flight may
close ahead of schedule, as in this instance. The airport agents are to
use good judgment when assisting a customer who arrives at the gate
after the required check in time. Unfortunately, there are instances
when authorization for check in after the cut off time cannot be
approved and the flight is closed.

We regret the frustration and or inconvenience this situation caused
you. Per the report from the gate agent, you did not meet the 15 minute
gate check in requirement and therefore were not eligible for the
involuntary denied boarding compensation, and I will have to
respectfully deny your request for 1000 PQM. Our records indicate a
refund was processed for your ticket...."
yeah, forward the response to the DOT. Police offer, TSA does not matter. All that matters is the time stamp of when you were taken off the flight. That is very easy to get for UA and the DOT can essentially force them to furnish this information.
Now, I must say that I am very surprised that UA responded that way. This is extremely unusual.
Old Feb 5, 16, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA. WR, HH, IHG, Accor. TT-GE.
Looks like this is becoming so outrageous that UA will be fined by DOT hugely just for this specific incident. Big enough there may be firings and blacklistings of industrywide re-employment.
Old Feb 5, 16, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HkCaGu View Post
Looks like this is becoming so outrageous that UA will be fined by DOT hugely just for this specific incident. Big enough there may be firings and blacklistings of industrywide re-employment.
Ha ha. The GA is risking being fired if he/she is doubling down on a lie, but that's about it.

Search this Thread