Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Year end. What (UA MP) mileage runs are you doing and for what status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Year end. What (UA MP) mileage runs are you doing and for what status

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2015, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by sapguy
Just completed my MR yesterday PHL-LAX-PHL on a split fare PHL-LAX via SFO in Y, then LAX-PHL via IAH in paid F (on a 787 too) for an amazing fare of $849 good for 7,076 PQM in order to requalify for 1K and surpass 2MM during my flight next Tuesday (my last flight of the year).

And the RPU for PHL-SFO-LAX cleared too, which made my MR entirely in F!

I did not travel much in the early part of 2015, so despite a furious travel schedule in Q4, I was seriously in danger of not requalifying for 1K as I was short of slightly over 7,000 PQM whereas my PQD was over $15K!

Then a last minute biz trip showed up on my calendar (the one next Tuesday) so I was able to book paid F (at the suggestion from another FT thread) for the MR and got it done ^

So I left on 12/25 at 6pm to return back at near midnight on 12/26, and will not only requal for 1k for 2016 but will also pass the 2MM threshold! The trip was really nice ^

It's more PQM than I needed because of that last minute biz trip, but I'm not complaining.
How was F on the 787? Always wanted to fly on one!
Old Dec 27, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by zillair25
Crushed it on the mileage, but came up about 300 short on PQD for Gold. Was really wanting it since I mostly travel internationally and would've liked club access (for the occasional shower, if nothing else)...eff.
For $300 I'd do it, that's easy, and considering you get E+ at booking vs. at check-in, lounge access, same-day change, I would do it. I just spent quite a bit more than that to re-qualify for Gold (was Plat this year but fell short on PQD's due to work putting a ticket on Swiss instead of UA as well as a Q4 travel cut due to expenses.)

Originally Posted by sapguy
Just completed my MR yesterday PHL-LAX-PHL on a split fare PHL-LAX via SFO in Y, then LAX-PHL via IAH in paid F (on a 787 too) for an amazing fare of $849 good for 7,076 PQM in order to requalify for 1K and surpass 2MM during my flight next Tuesday (my last flight of the year).

And the RPU for PHL-SFO-LAX cleared too, which made my MR entirely in F!

I did not travel much in the early part of 2015, so despite a furious travel schedule in Q4, I was seriously in danger of not requalifying for 1K as I was short of slightly over 7,000 PQM whereas my PQD was over $15K!

Then a last minute biz trip showed up on my calendar (the one next Tuesday) so I was able to book paid F (at the suggestion from another FT thread) for the MR and got it done ^

So I left on 12/25 at 6pm to return back at near midnight on 12/26, and will not only requal for 1k for 2016 but will also pass the 2MM threshold! The trip was really nice ^

It's more PQM than I needed because of that last minute biz trip, but I'm not complaining.
I just did a MR out of PHL yesterday too. Did PHL-DEN-SLC-DEN-PHL in paid F (actually was a PQD run because I had enough miles.)

I left at 6:30 AM from PHL 12/26 and got back at 2 AM 12/27.

I've been in F on the 787 (CPU on DEN-IAH route) and loved it!

---to update my above post, my SLC-ORD flight was cancelled yesterday, and the automatic re-book was all screwed up. Managed to get them to put me on SLC-DEN via DL (hello ORC) and then DEN-PHL on UA, only got in about 2 hours late.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: UA,AF,BA
Buying PQM's

I had good luck with my GPU's - a couple of first class flights on Lufthansa A380's. Yumm. I can still taste the caviar with vodka. And rubber ducks in Frankfurt terminal for an extra treat.

So for me its Roundtrip IAH<->ORD tomorrow plus mileage accelerator ($800 for 8000 PQM's - not bad) which should get me to 1K for next year.

I was hoping the PQM's would show more-or-less immediately on my account, incidentally, but it's been a few hours and nothing yet. I know the website says "up-to-24-hrs"... what is typical experience for you guys?

Regards, T
Old Dec 27, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by tunneller
I had good luck with my GPU's - a couple of first class flights on Lufthansa A380's. Yumm. I can still taste the caviar with vodka. And rubber ducks in Frankfurt terminal for an extra treat.

So for me its Roundtrip IAH<->ORD tomorrow plus mileage accelerator ($800 for 8000 PQM's - not bad) which should get me to 1K for next year.

I was hoping the PQM's would show more-or-less immediately on my account, incidentally, but it's been a few hours and nothing yet. I know the website says "up-to-24-hrs"... what is typical experience for you guys?

Regards, T
The miles are typically 48 hours after your trip.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Short of *G by 1k miles and $689. Flying DCA-ORD-CUN-IAH-DCA in F for $786 on Tuesday.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
The miles are typically 48 hours after your trip.
Hi, the award miles have shown up already, but not the PQM's. I want to make sure these PQM's count towards 1K because looking more closely at my miles I don't need IAH<->ORD but can do something shorter. So I'm thinking to cancel that flight, keep the PQM's, and book something else.

Regards, T
Old Dec 27, 2015, 12:20 pm

My buddy needs 1540 PQM to hit 1K in 4 days. Neither of us have ever done a mileage run. SFO based, any suggestions? I'm just looking at the route map trying to come up with ideas but so far no luck.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 12:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 747200f
My buddy needs 1540 PQM to hit 1K in 4 days. Neither of us have ever done a mileage run. SFO based, any suggestions? I'm just looking at the route map trying to come up with ideas but so far no luck.
try www.google.com/flights/
Enter a departure city, leave the destination blank
enter dates (for same day MR, enter the same date)
Select *A under Airlines
Set a price cap
and see what appears
Play with dates for other options

SEA, IAH, DFW, ... under $500 on multiple days
Better values may be available

MIA on the 29th $338 (starts 5:30AM)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 27, 2015 at 12:59 pm Reason: MIA
Old Dec 27, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
feorlen and I wrapped some touring around business trip to WLG.
SFO-SYD-WLG and back on UA/QF/NZ. Took it in E+, despite exhortations from UA to upgrade to BF. I just couldn't summon up the $650 + miles to upgrade. Maybe for $400.

QF is nice enough, but lack of lounge access at SYD is a deal-breaker. I was able to get in on a UA/LA/NZ SFO-SYD-AKL itin in 2014, but they've really cranked down on that since the remodeled Koru lounge opened up in SYD.

Anyway, that puts us both over the hump for *G for 2015.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by bsdstone
How was F on the 787? Always wanted to fly on one!
F on the 787-9 is fine, and it's the same BF configuration as a CO 767, with the flat bed, all the jacks (AC power, USB, and headphone) behind you in a little nook area which has a water bottle holder and plenty of room to store my iPad and iPhone while they were being charged.

Like I said, it's nice, but nothing super special, although the CO BF layout is much better than the UA BF layout.

The lavs feature touchless water faucets where you simply put your hands under the faucet and water comes out, like on the A380. The lav for disabled people is huge, and you can comfortably change clothes in there if you want.

The meal service was standard domestic FC (I chose the hot chicken sandwich) and it was slightly disappointing especially when compared to the FC dinner on the PHL-SFO non-stop the night before on a B737-900. - that chicken with ancho & veggies dinner was very good, and they offered 3 choices for dinner instead of the usual 2.

Since it's standard domestic FC, they did not hand out menus or amenity kit. The headphones looked different than the old models I'm used to seeing but they were not Bose. I did not bothered with them as I used my own Bose QC3. The IFE is good, with the Vevo music videos usually found on the free BYO device entertainment in the big screen. Alas, no Channel 9.

BTW, is it me or the FC catering on CO metal so much better than the FC catering on the UA metal?

The flight LAX-IAH was completely full! The bird came in from Shanghai and is headed to Lagos, Nigeria.

Last edited by sapguy; Dec 27, 2015 at 3:46 pm
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
Short of *G by 1k miles and $689. Flying DCA-ORD-CUN-IAH-DCA in F for $786 on Tuesday.
Looks like a cool MR! How much time will you be on the ground in CUN?
Old Dec 27, 2015, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Cargojon
For $300 I'd do it, that's easy, and considering you get E+ at booking vs. at check-in, lounge access, same-day change, I would do it. I just spent quite a bit more than that to re-qualify for Gold (was Plat this year but fell short on PQD's due to work putting a ticket on Swiss instead of UA as well as a Q4 travel cut due to expenses.)
Think so? The only problem I see is having to spend significantly more than that on a fare to get those PQDs unless I find a killer F or Y fare. I just spent about $350 on a ticket last week to get it this close (because I had to make the trip) so I'm leery to drop more cash and still miss the mark...

That's no fun. Had that happen with an ANA flight too. Worth it though as biz was dang nice.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:41 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by Cargojon
The wife just surprised me with a sameday turn MR in F to put me over to Gold for 2016. Due to a screw up by our corporate travel as well as Q4 cost containment, I would have only made Silver. Plenty of miles but short on PQD. Go wife!
My wife let me do a couple (5) of Dulles to Honolulu runs this past year so I would hit my 1MM point early so I could status match her with my 1K status. Love them them when they say go and have fun and really don't mean it but anticipate the benefits of the results of the "painful" trip to Hawaii their spouse has to make for them.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:35 am

Dodged a bullet

Originally Posted by tunneller
Hi, the award miles have shown up already, but not the PQM's. I want to make sure these PQM's count towards 1K because looking more closely at my miles I don't need IAH<->ORD but can do something shorter. So I'm thinking to cancel that flight, keep the PQM's, and book something else.

Regards, T
On a separate thread were many comments to the effect that these PQM's can get hung up and need a manual adjustment by the 1K team - which will require a phone call. So I did that and miles are unclogged.

Also dodged a bullet on that IAH<->ORD flight. Glad I cancelled it, I would have been stuck in the storm. So with the clock ticking, I temporarily bought a one-way from Guam to Rota and Award Accelerator offered me 1500 miles for $532, which I accepted.

Which means that the "real" MR which took me to the 1K was in December IAH->CUN->IAH for 1624 miles roundtrip. If anyone interested - you do need to clear customs in Cancun to be able to take return flight but a 2hr layover was more-than-enough.

Regards, T.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by zillair25
Think so? The only problem I see is having to spend significantly more than that on a fare to get those PQDs unless I find a killer F or Y fare. I just spent about $350 on a ticket last week to get it this close (because I had to make the trip) so I'm leery to drop more cash and still miss the mark...

That's no fun. Had that happen with an ANA flight too. Worth it though as biz was dang nice.
Use Google flights to pick out an itinerary that you like, then use UA website to book it. The UA website should should you the PQD accumulations for the flights and your confirmation e-mail definitely will.

I had to spend about $100 over what I needed to in order to make it worth but I wasn't over upset about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.