Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Slippers are coming back to all Asian Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slippers are coming back to all Asian Flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2015, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I often wonder, when the FA hands out the amenity kit and menu at the start of the flight, why don't they ask if you'd like slippers? I understand many folks would appreciate this, but for others it is a waste.
Exactly. Same way as eye-shades & toothbrushes are being offered on p.s. flights.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Exactly. Same way as eye-shades & toothbrushes are being offered on p.s. flights.
This is why I don't bemoan the lack of p.s. amenity kits as some others here may. I don't need anything other than the little toothbrush kit, so I am fine when they come around with the basket and let you pick what you'd like.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 5:56 pm

It's nuts that the bar is so low that we now have threads celebrating the addition of drinkable coffee, slippers, and cookies to flights. And, each of these tiny improvements actually qualifies for an entire thread!

However, it does seem that there is an ongoing effort to re-evaluate the cuts that Smisek made and reverse at least these decisions. One can only hope that smarter people are working harder to re-evaluate the tougher cuts that he made in his war against customers and maybe, just maybe, we'll start to see some substantive and valuable enhancements in the future.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
The slippers by themselves are insignificant, but the totality of the "enhancements," including drinkable coffee (presumably, we'll see in March) and snacks (these are actually a return of previous cutbacks) reveal a whole lot about the Smisek regime (much of which we were already painfully aware of, regrettably) and perhaps Munoz as well.

About the slippers, on the Asian transpac carriers that I've been on in recent memory, NH, BR, OZ, JL, and CA, all provide better quality slippers than UA. And they are encouraged to be taken home judged by their packaging. But they are not significantly better than UA's single-use ones, which might be technically correct, but I've certainly used them more than once. I use them in my hotel rooms in Asia, and I leave them in my rollaboard for my domestic trips. YMMV, of course.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FlyWorld
However, it does seem that there is an ongoing effort to re-evaluate the cuts that Smisek made and reverse at least these decisions. One can only hope that smarter people are working harder to re-evaluate the tougher cuts that he made in his war against customers and maybe, just maybe, we'll start to see some substantive and valuable enhancements in the future.
It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that fuel prices are at historic lows, could it?

Just playing devil's advocate for a moment here ... What if the reason for the turnabout is the fact that they were able to turn $1.7b of net income last quarter due primarily to low fuel costs? Maybe it wasn't JeffS that was evil, but the cost of Jet-A?
Old Dec 25, 2015, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that fuel prices are at historic lows, could it?

Just playing devil's advocate for a moment here ... What if the reason for the turnabout is the fact that they were able to turn $1.7b of net income last quarter due primarily to low fuel costs? Maybe it wasn't JeffS that was evil, but the cost of Jet-A?
Smisek was in control while jet fuel was declining in price and was already at historic lows for much of his reign, so it would not be justifiable to suggest that Smisek was cutting cost to counteract rising fuel costs.

Furthermore, everyone knows that jet fuel may increase in price again. It would be profoundly stupid to set expense levels as a function of fuel levels because that would imply the need to cut the coffee, cut the cookies, and cut the slippers as soon as fuel goes up, which it will.

If we assume that the current leadership is reasonably intelligent (now that Smisek and Rainey are gone, I'm willing to assume some degree of intellect is being allowed to flourish at HQ), then a correct business strategy is to set service levels at the minimum required *to be competitive* and to take the costs associated with those decisions. Obviously, there's a ton of judgement in what it takes to compete, but an intelligent airline executive who recognizes that firing huge swaths of high value customers was a negligent strategy might see that the optimal service level is somewhere higher than the lowest in the country (fighting with Frontier for position at bottom).

So, if we assume intelligence is being applied to these decisions, then I'd assume there was a recognition that being the worst airline in the country is not a strategy that maximizes long term shareholder value, and therefore, there may be some commitment to spending more money to become better than worst, and thereby attract flyers on something more than lowest price or hub captive gouging.

If this is true, then, I'd expect there is an intent to maintain these decisions even in the face of higher fuel prices.

This, after all, is how a team of executives would behave if they were seeking to maximize shareholder value, rather than seeking to maximize quarterly bonus payments to Smisek, which has been the supreme operating objective since 2012.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 9:52 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
TOPIC DRIFT ALERT

Please remember that this is a discussion about slippers coming to all Asian flights and not about jet fuel prices or other assorted off topic subjects

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Dec 25, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
How much do those slippers cost UA? I would guess 50 cents? I have 30 pair sitting in a box that I am going to give to Goodwill.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott (Plat Premier, LT Plat)
Is this just for flights to / from Asia or to other places in the world as well?
Old Dec 26, 2015, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ua_sp_102366
Is this just for flights to / from Asia or to other places in the world as well?
Throughout the years I have never seen slippers on any other long-distance/overseas flights.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Asiatraveler15
Do they wash them??

I just came back in biz on an OZ flight Seoul to LAX.

On take off I started to smell a strong BO smell.
I thought, darn someone in here forgot to shower or change clothes.
It was very strong. I started to check around hoping to find the source with the thought I would change seats to get away from it..
Then I discovered it was from the OZ provided slippers in my cube, I had taken them out of the plastic prior to take off with the thought of using them later. OMG they smelled bad.
I gave them to the FA who offered another pair, which I declined.
With OZ I always worry about the problem you mentioned will happen sooner or later, as OZ is the only one that doesn't offer sealed slippers in both F and C. With F slippers in the drawstring bag, C slippers just flip the button in the plastic sleeve, so there is always a chance that someone use the slippers and put it back into the bag, the cleaners wouldn't inspect if the slippers had used or not, or no instructions about any slippers left behind must throw.away.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by username

It generated some debates. Some people didn't understand that offering slippers is part of the hospitality in some Asian cultures - not to mention the practical side of it. I know they have been working to get them back on the TPE flight but glad to see it already happened (along with loading more congee) and has expanded to all the Asian flights. Things like this make the product a little less uncompetitive and do not cost much.

As far as the quality, I guess if they are intended to be one-time use, it does not make sense to make it very reusable (more material/more expensive). However, if they are meant to be used as advertising, then... Of course, it is a catch 22.
Odd enough not all asians carriers offer slippers, e.g. CX only has slippers in F but not in J, TG has no slippers other than F, but even in F, there are none for short intra asia flights like BKK-HKG
Old Dec 26, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Haven't been on a UA flight to Asia, other than Tokyo, for some time. I say it's a nice edition. Sure the slippers aren't the best but it shows a good effort by UA
Old Dec 26, 2015, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Odd enough not all asians carriers offer slippers, e.g. CX only has slippers in F but not in J, TG has no slippers other than F, but even in F, there are none for short intra asia flights like BKK-HKG
I just got slippers in TG J on NRT-BKK (and back). They're equivalent quality to the UA version (paper thin, but sufficient for a single flight).

Agree they don't give them in F on BKK-HKG.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Maybe it is because only SOME Asian cultures have the slipper custom?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.