FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Was my food on a United flight moldy, what to do? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1732602-my-food-united-flight-moldy-what-do.html)

ftadsfsfdasdfdsfwef Dec 18, 2015 3:50 am

Was my food on a United flight moldy, what to do?

http://i.imgur.com/HPqsO9vl.jpg

It's an international flight going to US operated by United. Which agency should I file a complaint to? FDA? State department of justice/attorney general (the state of destination or the state of billing address)?

abmj-jr Dec 18, 2015 7:45 am

You tell the FA immediately and get a replacement.

FDA?? DOJ?? DA?? Sheesh! :rolleyes:

nonstarter Dec 18, 2015 7:47 am

I really doubt that's mold anyway. Looks like the bits of flour you can often find on the bottom of bread.

LondonElite Dec 18, 2015 7:59 am

Where is the mould? I don't see any in the photograph.

84fiero Dec 18, 2015 8:14 am

Originally Posted by nonstarter (Post 25883707)
I really doubt that's mold anyway. Looks like the bits of flour you can often find on the bottom of bread.

I was thinking the same thing.

Even assuming it was mold, simply asking for a replacement would have been the thing to do, or just not eating it because one won't starve for the lack of a (likely poor quality) roll.

jrl767 Dec 18, 2015 8:28 am

@OP -- great way to start your FT presence :D

obscure2k Dec 18, 2015 9:18 am

Please continue to follow this thread in the UA Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Billiken Dec 18, 2015 9:22 am

ftadsfsfdasdfdsfwef

Welcome to FT

FlyWorld Dec 18, 2015 9:37 am

Not clear that it's mold either. How sure are you about this, OP?

Finding mold on a piece of cookie-like-object is unlikely, primarily because you're not even eating food. Have you ever read the ingredients on the things that are served as food on UA flights? It's nearly impossible to identify even a single organic ingredient. It's mostly a collection of chemicals, with additional layers of chemicals upon chemicals to ensure desired performance characteristics, and precisely among other things, to ensure stability of the "product" over long periods of storage.

For mold to grow on this collection of chemicals would require some extraordinary circumstances. Curiously, where are you originating from? A hot tropical climate?

mherdeg Dec 18, 2015 10:10 am

I once got moldy grapes on one flight sector; on the second flight sector, the flight attendant inexplicably failed to ask me for a meal order and just didn't feed me at all. I sent UA an e-mail asking for better service standards with subject line "Moldy grapes and a missed meal" and they sent me $350 in travel credit.

I considered it a fair deal.

kale73 Dec 18, 2015 10:26 am

Originally Posted by FlyWorld (Post 25884211)
Have you ever read the ingredients on the things that are served as food on UA flights?

No. The print on BOB served in Y is usually so tiny that I can hardly make it out even with my reading glasses on. I've never been given a list of ingredients in F.

Originally Posted by FlyWorld (Post 25884211)
It's nearly impossible to identify even a single organic ingredient. It's mostly a collection of chemicals, with additional layers of chemicals upon chemicals to ensure desired performance characteristics, and precisely among other things, to ensure stability of the "product" over long periods of storage.

Meh. Everything we ingest is "a collection of chemicals" - mostly C H O and N - even if it's "100% organic".

spin88 Dec 18, 2015 10:33 am

OP, you might ask the mods to change the title which references "food" as we all know, United does not serve "food" it serves small portions of "food like substances"

It looks like your "food like substance" has small bits of a white powder on it. I would call the DEA, someone may be up to no good. ;)

SEA1K4EVR Dec 18, 2015 10:35 am

Nothing to see here. I seriously doubt that's mold. I agree it looks more like flour than mold...and it's also far more likely. OP did you open the package? Show it to the FA's and get anyone else's opinion? Or just take a photo to post on the internet to claim its mold in your expert opinion?

Also look at the OP's handle and its their first post regardless if they created it a year+ ago. Mods... this thread ought to be deleted really..it's pretty ridiculous.

goalie Dec 18, 2015 2:47 pm

MODERATOR NOTE

I have deleted numerous posts which were off topic. The OP came here asking for advice and if you have some, please post it but if you do not, please move along

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator

jclarke Dec 18, 2015 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by ftadsfsfdasdfdsfwef (Post 25883073)
Which agency should I file a complaint to? FDA? State department of justice/attorney general (the state of destination or the state of billing address)?

FDA. United has clearly gone too far by giving free Penicillin to its pax. There is no question that this should be limited to full-fare GF/GS and only administered via the soup in GF. Alternatively it could be administered via the secret stash of un-split cashews. This is up to Oscar to decide when he is back. I trust his judgment.