Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booked in P on a 2-class flight, itin shows "R Requested"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:01 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond

Should I be worried that this itin is completely hosed?

Originally Posted by United.com
Flight:UA1459
Aircraft: Boeing 737-800
Fare Class: United Business (P) - (R class requested)
Meal: Breakfast
No Special Meal Offered.
And yes, a waitlisted segment in R shows up on the itin, too. I'm calling tomorrow to try to sort things out...
Old Dec 17, 2015, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I'd call. Something is messed up.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
I had this happen when I applied an RPU at booking (waitlisted) but then paid to UG at T-48. My flight showed "R class requested" at OLCI but I was able to grab an F seat regardless and the RPU redeposited two days later.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
I recently booked a flight over the phone with a 1K rep who told me I was booking a 'promo flight in K class with an automatic upgrade to P' ... I asked her to clarify and she said something like, "if space in United First is available, you can auto-upgrade, but it's actually a K fare."

I tried to seek clarity but still was unclear about this 'promo fare.' I ended up flying up front and the miles / segments posted as though it was a P fare. If she was, indeed, correct, could this be the case for this flight of yours OP?
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jmcintosh
I recently booked a flight over the phone with a 1K rep who told me I was booking a 'promo flight in K class with an automatic upgrade to P' ... I asked her to clarify and she said something like, "if space in United First is available, you can auto-upgrade, but it's actually a K fare."

I tried to seek clarity but still was unclear about this 'promo fare.' I ended up flying up front and the miles / segments posted as though it was a P fare. If she was, indeed, correct, could this be the case for this flight of yours OP?
Prolly a K-UP fare
Old Dec 18, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I had a HNL-IAD flight a few weeks ago that was booked in P all the way back in March. At various times over the course of the year it would show "R Class Requested." It would usually disappear in a day or two, so it could just be a website glitch.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by limey1K
I had this happen when I applied an RPU at booking (waitlisted) but then paid to UG at T-48. My flight showed "R class requested" at OLCI but I was able to grab an F seat regardless and the RPU redeposited two days later.
This is very similar to what happened to me. I had the segment waitlisted, and .bomb offered it to me for a paid upfare for a reasonable price. I took the offer, but so far haven't been charged (bad sign), and the itin is clearly in a screwy state.

I haven't had time to call yet but will be interested to see how UA resolves it...
Old Dec 18, 2015, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Prolly a K-UP fare
More precisely, an UPDI. And that agent needs to be retrained.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

So far have been on the phone for nearly an hour. Reservations agent gets the ticket in sync after about 30 minutes and talking to his supervisor repeatedly, according to him, but drops both the P fare and the other segment's upgrade. He says, "But they'd never collected the fare difference; you'd have to pay the difference."

I said, "Yes, I told you that. I'm happy to pay the fare difference; I wasn't expecting it to be free."

He then transferred me to Web Support, who say, "We don't see a problem with the res," and I point out that it is now back in economy on the upgraded segment and the upfared one.

As soon as he looked at the ticket history: "Let me call my service desk."

They're now trying to replicate the upfare. I can do so on the web site myself, for $60 more than it was yesterday, but still an acceptable amount to me... if only they can get it to work at Web Support. (Because I am sure if I do it again online, it will just error out again, leaving me exactly back where I started.)

ETA: Web Support couldn't replicate the results, but while I had the guy on the phone, I said, "Mind if I try changing it myself again? If I break the ticket, you can fix it." Same error, but now the Web Support team had something to go on, and put me on hold for 15 more minutes investigating. Finally, they said, "How about we charge you $150, because we can't figure out how to charge you $160 or $229.50. I've wasted 45 minutes of your time and still don't have a great answer as to what's going on."

Now the ticket receipt shows a $150 "service charge" and the segment in P (and the other segment in R). My only fear is that when I go to check in at POS, they'll have some kind of issue given they never collected additional fare, just a service charge. Or that the underlying e-ticket is still in Y and not C (is that an issue when the receipt shows P?). Well, we'll see...

Last edited by exerda; Dec 18, 2015 at 5:54 pm Reason: Resolution?
Old Dec 19, 2015, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
So far have been on the phone for nearly an hour. Reservations agent gets the ticket in sync after about 30 minutes and talking to his supervisor repeatedly, according to him, but drops both the P fare and the other segment's upgrade. He says, "But they'd never collected the fare difference; you'd have to pay the difference."

I said, "Yes, I told you that. I'm happy to pay the fare difference; I wasn't expecting it to be free."

He then transferred me to Web Support, who say, "We don't see a problem with the res," and I point out that it is now back in economy on the upgraded segment and the upfared one.

They're now trying to replicate the upfare. I can do so on the web site myself, for $60 more than it was yesterday, but still an acceptable amount to me... if only they can get it to work at Web Support. (Because I am sure if I do it again online, it will just error out again, leaving me exactly back where I started.)

ETA: Web Support couldn't replicate the results, but while I had the guy on the phone, I said, "Mind if I try changing it myself again? If I break the ticket, you can fix it." Same error, but now the Web Support team had something to go on, and put me on hold for 15 more minutes investigating. Finally, they said, "How about we charge you $150, because we can't figure out how to charge you $160 or $229.50. I've wasted 45 minutes of your time and still don't have a great answer as to what's going on."

Now the ticket receipt shows a $150 "service charge" and the segment in P (and the other segment in R). My only fear is that when I go to check in at POS, they'll have some kind of issue given they never collected additional fare, just a service charge. Or that the underlying e-ticket is still in Y and not C (is that an issue when the receipt shows P?). Well, we'll see...
.bomb's new clothes.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by exerda

as long as the reservation shows 'P' and it is UA metal you should be fine. Try OLCI and if that gives you issues you have almost 24 hours to get it fixed.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

The Web Support guy was pleased that I was OK with the outcome. "This call could have gone such a different way," he said, and was very apologetic for taking 45 minutes (this after a similar amount of time with Reservations). "You don't understand how many people get very, very upset about things like this."

I explained that I have seen the Web site getting better, and that it's improved from the early days of the merger, but that "Change Flights" still works poorly (necessitating a call probably 75% of the time IME), and the various upgrade & upfare options seem very buggy. But I'm still glad to have seen progress.

I think me having a good attitude did help with the ultimate resolution in my favor. I feel sorry for some of the calls Web Support must get...
Old Dec 19, 2015, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cfischer
as long as the reservation shows 'P' and it is UA metal you should be fine. Try OLCI and if that gives you issues you have almost 24 hours to get it fixed.
Yeah I think I would have left this one alone. I ignore the "out of synch" messages and they clear up on their own 95% of the time. In the one or two times they haven't, I've not had a problem at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.