Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earn more PQMs for premium cabin travel starting in 2016

Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Starting January 1, 2016, you’ll earn more Premier qualifying miles (PQMs) for full-fare and discounted First or Business – up to double the current rate. The higher PQM rates go into effect for flights starting January 1, 2016 regardless of booking date.

New 2016 PQM Earning for United and United Express:

Full-fare First or Business (F, J): 300% (Currently 150%)
Discounted First or Business (A, C, D, Z, P): 200% (Currently 150%)
Full-fare Economy (Y, B): 150% (No Change)
Discounted Economy (M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N): 100% (No Change)

Please check back shortly for full details regarding this change at mileageplusupdates.com. In addition to United and United Express operated flights, PQM earnings for select Star Alliance partners are also increasing.

Thank you,

-UA Insider
This change does not impact PQS.

UA Insider
Hi everyone. For clarification, there are no changes to the PQD credit card waiver.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Earn more PQMs for premium cabin travel starting in 2016

Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by exerda
This is common once you have an instrument waitlisted IME; the Web site has major issues offering you an upfare. Why is it hard to give UA money?
Every airline has trouble dealing with new revenue sources. But they eventually get it working smoothly. UA just needs more time.

Gone are the days of cash upgrades. It's been nearly a decade since I last did that.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Hi everyone,

Starting January 1, 2016, you’ll earn more Premier qualifying miles (PQMs) for full-fare and discounted First or Business – up to double the current rate. The higher PQM rates go into effect for flights starting January 1, 2016 regardless of booking date.

New 2016 PQM Earning for United and United Express:

Full-fare First or Business (F, J): 300% (Currently 150%)
Discounted First or Business (A, C, D, Z, P): 200% (Currently 150%)
Full-fare Economy (Y, B): 150% (No Change)
Discounted Economy (M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N): 100% (No Change)

Please check back shortly for full details regarding this change at mileageplusupdates.com. In addition to United and United Express operated flights, PQM earnings for select Star Alliance partners are also increasing.

Thank you,

-UA Insider
Finally, a change I like!

Especially since I just bought my first fun ticket in A from IAD to AUS and back the first weekend of February.

Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:59 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Assuming UA does go all-spend for the tiers at some point, I know a lot of government flyers who are going to be really ticked; those YCA fares are often a fraction of what regular full Y is, and right now at least they get 150% for them. (The GS will still presumably make GS, though.)
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
This is awesome!

I fly mostly international Z/P and some domestic A. With these changes, I only need to fly 50k BIS to requalify for 1k.

Z/P fares on other airlines also bumped to 200%, up from 100% or 150% on LH and LX.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 2:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by exerda
Assuming UA does go all-spend for the tiers at some point, I know a lot of government flyers who are going to be really ticked; those YCA fares are often a fraction of what regular full Y is, and right now at least they get 150% for them. (The GS will still presumably make GS, though.)
I'm not sure the impact will be that noticeable, given how many GSA city pairs UA has lost.

From 1997-2014, except for South and Centam flying, virtually all of my work related flying was on UA as the contract carrier. In 2015 UA's share dropped to 50% because of all the routes they have lost.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 2:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Interesting impact of two policies

Recently checked on the cost of up-fare a 2,100 mile 2-segement route, mainline+UX, K fare; change flights offered a sightly longer 2,500 mile routing (1hour extra, all mainline), A UPDI fare for $160-ish -- normally I have not been a taker in the past.

But with 200% A fare PQMs, it was 2,900 PQMs extra -- or less than 6 cpPQMs (semi-MR territory) -- and likely to being PQM challenged in the next year could avoid a future MR;
and a guaranteed F seat on mainline

I will admit to my first buy-up -- I have moved to the dark side.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by pbd456
for million miles, is that just BIS or include the class of service bonus?
MM the hard way.. only BIS miles
Old Dec 18, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Recently checked on the cost of up-fare a 2,100 mile 2-segement route, mainline+UX, K fare; change flights offered a sightly longer 2,500 mile routing (1hour extra, all mainline), A UPDI fare for $160-ish -- normally I have not been a taker in the past.

But with 200% A fare PQMs, it was 2,900 PQMs extra -- or less than 6 cpPQMs (semi-MR territory) -- and likely to being PQM challenged in the next year could avoid a future MR;

welcome.. come on in.. the water is warm
Old Dec 18, 2015, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
welcome.. come on in.. the water is warm
And there are cookies. Literally
Old Dec 18, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, Global Entry, Citi Prestige, Chase MileagePlus Club

I would have done the exact same thing, even though I'm never, ever short of PQMs. Maybe I'll get 1K easier next year with boosted PQMs (at increased cost, of course), and then move the remainder of my flying over to AA and try to get EXP versus just plain old Plat that I get now.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 6:22 pm

I have moved to the dark side.
Wait, I thought you became a moderator like a year ago now?

I'll be here all week....
Old Dec 18, 2015, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA DULtArer
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The bartender at the finest-bar-between-passenger-drop-off-and-the-terminal-doors-in-the-world will take your money at POS (also my vote for best airport code). Mighty fine beer drinking out there.
I don't think I've seen another FT talk about POS...is that in your travels or are you just admiring the acronymn?
Old Dec 18, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Should the wiki here include info on how to be absolutely positively certain that you're doing it right, that it's a buy-up and not one of those sit-in-F options that wouldn't qualify? I've paid some attention before, but the combination of relatively-weak extra benefit (150% PQM) and difficulty making sure it counted dissuaded me.

But now, at 200% PQM... yes, there could be times it makes a lot of sense. But only if I didn't run the risk of screwing up. Sitting in F just isn't worth that much to me 99% of the time.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I don't think I've seen another FT talk about POS...is that in your travels or are you just admiring the acronymn?
Actually not uncommon (past 2 years)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...s-flights.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-den-pos.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21843185-post125.html

and others
Old Dec 19, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
What if you have a flight that is multi fare booked

ie - my home airport doesn't have a ton of offerings with FC cabin

So, if I go on a trip and I am in Y from CHS to ORD but P from ORD to XXX

I take it the P section gets a 200% bonus and the Y section gets a 150% bonus or does it all get downgraded to the lowest fare class?

I tried to look up fares and figure it out, but I got confused and then my calculator caught on fire, so I decided to ask here and save my money (swear jar)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.