Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earn more PQMs for premium cabin travel starting in 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Starting January 1, 2016, you’ll earn more Premier qualifying miles (PQMs) for full-fare and discounted First or Business – up to double the current rate. The higher PQM rates go into effect for flights starting January 1, 2016 regardless of booking date.

New 2016 PQM Earning for United and United Express:

Full-fare First or Business (F, J): 300% (Currently 150%)
Discounted First or Business (A, C, D, Z, P): 200% (Currently 150%)
Full-fare Economy (Y, B): 150% (No Change)
Discounted Economy (M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N): 100% (No Change)

Please check back shortly for full details regarding this change at mileageplusupdates.com. In addition to United and United Express operated flights, PQM earnings for select Star Alliance partners are also increasing.

Thank you,

-UA Insider
This change does not impact PQS.

UA Insider
Hi everyone. For clarification, there are no changes to the PQD credit card waiver.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, Global Entry, Citi Prestige, Chase MileagePlus Club
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You're also bumping Golds and Plats into 1K and issuing a lot more RPUs and GPUs to current 1Ks and GSs. People are already whining about the instruments not clearing - there's going to be a lot more vying for the same seats.
Yep. I think the goal is to effectively kill CPUs and GPU/RPUs by making them impossible to get/use. There will be only one way into F/J now - buy it.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
I would prefer they change the RDM earning to increase the amount of miles earned (in additional to or instead of EQM). Currently it's a pain to always find the UA codeshares to earn RDM in the revenue multiplier way versus the traditional distance based. The difference in RDM earned is huge.

I wonder when/if Delta will follow.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
This ought to make the prioritization of meals tougher with the cabins full of 1Ks. Might have to drop prioritization of 1Ks toward the middle of the year as the newly-minted 1Ks are credentialed. Might have to push Plats down to BG2.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, BA
This change does not impact PQS.

UA Insider
Thanks. And what about those of us with Presidential Plus cards or who meet the spend requirement for PQD waiver for next year? There's great concern among FT people about this.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
PQMs are based just on the flight operator (and their fare class), not the ticket stock.

However this was also stated
Yes that's what I was talking about. This thread about PQM increases on select partner airlines. I cannot see anywhere in the FAQ that mentions the ticket sourcing.

So if I buy a ticket direct from LH, say NRT-FRA in Z class, and credit to my MP number, do I get 200% PQM? It would be good if UA clarified this new policy. In the past these sort of things only worked when booked under UA stock.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Well, come 2017 when there are double the 1K's I look forward to being #40 on the UG list instead of my current normal standing of 20.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:47 pm

I am skeptically appreciative of this change. If the thresholds for each level do not change for program year 2016, then WOW I am shocked. It seems way too generous of you, UA, to do this, but since the merger you have taken away and devalued benefits that I will be the first to quickly take advantage of this benefit. I have a trip on 1 January and just calculated under this new earning schedule that I'll have 45K PQM by the time I complete this trip on 5 January...nearly halfway to my status five days into the 2016 program year. Now that's IMPRESSIVE!
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
BIG thumbs up for me. I am 100% P fare these days. Of course, I still need to hit the $12K spend which was close this year.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA GS
Looks like someone needs to challenge Tom's "8 days to 1K" record
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Originally Posted by mrswirl
I love how a person can be a top-tier "frequent" flyer elite with all of 3 TATL round trips in F while the domestic segment warrior who flies weekly (mostly on RJs) still has to stuggle to get 120 PQS.
No love for domestic segment flyer with 140 UA flights and over $30k in spend

Last edited by dorisrpas; Dec 16, 2015 at 4:44 pm
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Lots more RPUs and GPUs coming my (friends') way!
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:53 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thebakaronis
I think this is a valid question. The website has always said that the PQD waiver was valid for 2014 and 2015. So "no change" (which is also the answer I keep getting from UA directly), could also mean that the original program stays: which means there is no PQD waiver in 2016. I think UA is being unnecessarily confusing about this. If the waiver program is being extended to 2016, why not change the language on the website to remove references to 2014 & 2015 or add 2016 as well?
It would be incredibly underhanded for UA to say that "no change actually means the omission of 2016 from the waiver is not changing."

Seriously, you're reading way too much into the wording of that post.

Originally Posted by JHake10
Well, come 2017 when there are double the 1K's I look forward to being #40 on the UG list instead of my current normal standing of 20.
I just don't see it doubling the # of 1Ks, but just like when UA ran double EQM promos on an annual basis and we had posters lamenting all the "1K lites"--or how we have people to this day suggesting that MRers made up some massive portion of elites and thus were eating up UA's revenue--I think it's overblown concern.

If anything, we've lost elites over the past two years between PQDs and general loss of loyalty due to eroded benefits, poor in-flight and airport experiences, etc. Yet with that loss, we haven't seen easier UGs (mine have been harder than ever), so I remain unconvinced that it can get any worse.

Originally Posted by trust77
I am skeptically appreciative of this change. If the thresholds for each level do not change for program year 2016, then WOW I am shocked. It seems way too generous of you, UA, to do this, but since the merger you have taken away and devalued benefits that I will be the first to quickly take advantage of this benefit. I have a trip on 1 January and just calculated under this new earning schedule that I'll have 45K PQM by the time I complete this trip on 5 January...nearly halfway to my status five days into the 2016 program year. Now that's IMPRESSIVE!
I don't think they will raise mileage thresholds.

They may raise spend thresholds for 2017, though.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by stimpy
.... So if I buy a ticket direct from LH, say NRT-FRA in Z class, and credit to my MP number, do I get 200% PQM? It would be good if UA clarified this new policy. In the past these sort of things only worked when booked under UA stock.
It has always been the flight operator's earning table that determines PQMs and the ticket stock has not mattered for PQMs -- I doubt that has changed.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, HHonors, Delta Sky Miles, Southwest Rapid Rewards
This is great for me. I booked a J class on AC for March last week and now will get 300% for the flight rather than the 150%. IND > YYZ > HKG RT should considerably load up my account.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K

I like this.

Unfortunately the impact on me will be minimal (I don't buy UA premium fares; LH on the other hand, I fly 2/3 times a year to the Far East)

I must be very lucky with my GPU's
6 TATL trips this year - 11 GPU's have cleared (10 earned last year, used one from my 2016 batch)

The one that failed, was refunded after SAN > IAD had cleared, so I'm not complaining (IAD > MAN failed - so GPU refunded)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.