Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hello,

The quickest way to update passport information is through the United App during check-in for an international flight, as we have removed the passport data field from MileagePlus profiles on united.com. When you have a stored passport on the App, you will be asked to confirm that you are traveling with that passport. If travel documents have changed, you can choose to replace the existing passport or add a new passport (there is a limit of two stored passports). After selecting to replace or add a new passport, you will be prompted to accept the Passport Storage Terms. The application will then allow you to take a photo of the picture page of your passport. Once the validation process has been successfully completed, the check-in process can continue with the newly scanned passport. Hope this helps.

Thank you,

-UA Insider
Will non-USA Passports also scan?
Yes (we need to build a list of which ones work)

What visa will scan?
(we need to build a list of which ones work)
China -- L tourist visa
Print Wikipost

Passport data entered by phone app scan

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just went through this for an INTL flight tomorrow. Took 4 attempts for the passport to be verified. Two weeks ago I scanned my passport at a Kiosk in LHR. Hopefully I won't have to do it again.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Trying to scan my passport for a trip SFO-DEN-YWG tomorrow. I click on add passport and agree to terms and it immediately says authentication failed. I haven't even gotten to the part to scan the passport. iPhone XR. Did my wife's a few days ago just fine with same phone for a different itinerary. Is the iPhone app having problems this morning? Or UA itself having problems? Already in F so not worried about upgrade list timing. I closed the app and reopened, same problem. I rebooted phone, same problem. I tried my work phone, same problem. So I am assuming this is a UA problem. Anybody else seeing this?

UPDATE:

Seems it was a UA issue. it is working again and I got my passport scaned.
ajGoes likes this.

Last edited by Baze; May 12, 2019 at 10:58 am Reason: Update
Old May 13, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
The instructions on the app say to scan the "front" of your passport. Apparently what they should say is to scan the main page. Some of the comments on this thread helped me figure that out.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TRRed
The instructions on the app say to scan the "front" of your passport. Apparently what they should say is to scan the main page. Some of the comments on this thread helped me figure that out.
You mean "front" as in the outside cover of your passport?
Old May 14, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by TRRed
Do you have an exact full quote or did you take a screenshot of it? Perhaps a call to United could clarify. I also have to think twice when customs asks you to wait "behind the line", which to me is really in front of the line.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by vanillabean
Do you have an exact full quote or did you take a screenshot of it? Perhaps a call to United could clarify. I also have to think twice when customs asks you to wait "behind the line", which to me is really in front of the line.
From the agent's perspective it's behind.
ajGoes likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
When you check in and scan your passport in the app, how do you later know whether it's been saved at United for future trips?
Old May 18, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by vanillabean
When you check in and scan your passport in the app, how do you later know whether it's been saved at United for future trips?
You can't do this yourself using the website or app, and can only tell whether it's been saved when you try to check in for a future international flight. I don't know whether ticket agents can look this information up if you call in, tho.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Originally Posted by TomMM
You mean "front" as in the outside cover of your passport?
That was my initial interpretation. There is an icon on the front/cover that looks like a little camera near the bottom that was not on my prior one (IIRC) that I thought was some indication of electronic or database status. So I was speculating it was checking to see if the passport was current enough to have one of those.
But as mentioned, "front" per UA means the main page with the strings of numbers at the bottom.
TRRed
Old May 20, 2019, 10:18 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TA
I also have a suspicion that the multiple minutes of time that are spent "processing" the uploaded document are actually human review steps by some contractor overseas, if it fails on automatic recognition first.
I confess having that suspicion.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Quick Question

Hello, I have a quick question. I book all of my sons travel and have his mileage plus account number tied to the same email address as mine. When I make a booking his information is in my profile and I just clicked on his name and everything propagates. He has an upcoming international trip and his passport data is not saved with United.com. When checking in will I be able to scan his passport from my iPhone at the 24 hour mark? If so, would this affect my data in anyway. Well maybe the question wasn’t that quick. Thanks in advance and enjoy your travels
Old May 20, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
The scanning function is broken for me - It recognizes the main page and takes a snap of it, but when I try to click the button to accept the image nothing happens, the whole app locks up - can't accept, cancel, or hit the X to go back, have to close the app and restart it.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by raehl311
The scanning function is broken for me - It recognizes the main page and takes a snap of it, but when I try to click the button to accept the image nothing happens, the whole app locks up - can't accept, cancel, or hit the X to go back, have to close the app and restart it.
On Android, the first step to troubleshooting is to clear an app's cache. How to do that varies depending on your Android version. You can Google to get clear instructions.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
China Visa USA Passport

I read up thread that people were having issues entering their China visa in advance of travel using the scan at OLCI

Is that still the case, or there have been positive reports of late.Thanks and enjoy your travels
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I read up thread that people were having issues entering their China visa in advance of travel using the scan at OLCI

Is that still the case, or there have been positive reports of late.Thanks and enjoy your travels

The scan has had trouble with some types of visas. They seem to quietly update, so I'm not sure which ones are problematic now. In the past, M (business) and Q (family) have not worked. I think L (tourist) has always been fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.