Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hello,

The quickest way to update passport information is through the United App during check-in for an international flight, as we have removed the passport data field from MileagePlus profiles on united.com. When you have a stored passport on the App, you will be asked to confirm that you are traveling with that passport. If travel documents have changed, you can choose to replace the existing passport or add a new passport (there is a limit of two stored passports). After selecting to replace or add a new passport, you will be prompted to accept the Passport Storage Terms. The application will then allow you to take a photo of the picture page of your passport. Once the validation process has been successfully completed, the check-in process can continue with the newly scanned passport. Hope this helps.

Thank you,

-UA Insider
Will non-USA Passports also scan?
Yes (we need to build a list of which ones work)

What visa will scan?
(we need to build a list of which ones work)
China -- L tourist visa
Print Wikipost

Passport data entered by phone app scan

Old May 14, 2021, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When you check in online using the app you can upload a photo of it. Whatever you do in advance won't change that process.
SPN Lifer and Flying Machine like this.
Old May 19, 2021, 11:47 am

UA App and Passport Scan

Flight is in a week and a half and used the UA app to scan myself and my wife's passport, it took 4-5 minutes to validate and then it says all good. Yet when I go to the Travel Ready Center and my name. Passport and visa requirements it has Update Information>Passport Verification "........, you can use this app to take a photo of your passport and save it for your future trips." I Scan my passport, it seems to work, yet it does not seem to work.

Is this only possible when checking in within 24 hours?
Old May 19, 2021, 12:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Conan126
.... Is this only possible when checking in within 24 hours?
Yes, only done by the app as during the process there is some validation done.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
UA app to scan and upload passport info

Has anyone been successful in using UA app to scan and upload passport info for flight check-in? The app is supposed to capture the passport image automatically but it does not work for me.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
Has anyone been successful in using UA app to scan and upload passport info for flight check-in? The app is supposed to capture the passport image automatically but it does not work for me.
Too early for checkin for me, but I scanned in all our passports. Make sure the lower edge of the passports lines up exactly with the lower edge of the "window". Assuming a US passport, those couple of lines with numbers and letters should be in the darker space of the window, and the actual info, your photo etc in the lighter space.
dag16 and Eidderf like this.

Last edited by Silja; Jul 6, 2021 at 12:57 pm
Old Jul 6, 2021, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have done it successfully in the past. If you can try different phones or tablets, you might find it works better on one than another. Other than that, the only thing to do is keep moving it around and trying with different lighting conditions until it takes. The lines it draws to frame the picture don't seem particularly helpful to me, since it often accepts when some details are in the dark area still.
uanj and VRFast like this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Silja
Too early for checkin for me, but I scanned in all our passports. Make sure the lower edge of the passports lines up exactly with the lower edge of the "window". Assuming a US passport, those couple of lines with numbers and letters should be in the darker space of the window, and the actual info, your photo etc in the lighter space.
Exactly, focus on the lower portion of your passport it picks up all the machine readable lettering in my opinion. That’s how it’s worked for me in the past
Old Jul 7, 2021, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
The passport scanner works just fine but the app seems to have lost the ability to store or scan my Green card. This used to be a real time saver on London trips pre COVID if hand baggage (I’d do the security questions in the Club)
Old Jul 7, 2021, 5:26 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
My flight is in September and I was able to scan both mine and my wife's on the app (iPhone) a couple of weeks ago. Had to position it just right so the whole page was visible, plus the light condition wasn't great either, but I was able to do it after turning on some lights. As Fumje was referring to.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately still no joy in scanning my passport. So I can't complete my check-in until at the airport. I hope it does not affect my queue on the upgrade list.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately still no joy in scanning my passport. So I can't complete my check-in until at the airport. I hope it does not affect my queue on the upgrade list.
Pre-gate no;
at the gate - yes but only if matched in status and fare class.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I first had fold my passport "backwards" to get it to lie flat for the photo.
uanj likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 12:02 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
The app obviously is inadequate for uploading passport.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by exp
The app obviously is inadequate for uploading passport.
Based on 1 or 2 issues when the vast majority have been successful (per reports here) over the years?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 12:45 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Based on 1 or 2 issues when the vast majority have been successful (per reports here) over the years?
Over the years?

What about the current app? It's not obvious when you can even do it.

I guess they prefer you do it at their kiosks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.