Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hello,

The quickest way to update passport information is through the United App during check-in for an international flight, as we have removed the passport data field from MileagePlus profiles on united.com. When you have a stored passport on the App, you will be asked to confirm that you are traveling with that passport. If travel documents have changed, you can choose to replace the existing passport or add a new passport (there is a limit of two stored passports). After selecting to replace or add a new passport, you will be prompted to accept the Passport Storage Terms. The application will then allow you to take a photo of the picture page of your passport. Once the validation process has been successfully completed, the check-in process can continue with the newly scanned passport. Hope this helps.

Thank you,

-UA Insider
Will non-USA Passports also scan?
Yes (we need to build a list of which ones work)

What visa will scan?
(we need to build a list of which ones work)
China -- L tourist visa
Print Wikipost

Passport data entered by phone app scan

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:52 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
oh, I see. So this is a real decision by UA.com recently (as of a few weeks ago) to remove everyone's old stored passport info, until the passenger adds it from new (in person or using the app) and resets the passport record.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TA
oh, I see. So this is a real decision by UA.com recently (as of a few weeks ago) to remove everyone's old stored passport info, until the passenger adds it from new (in person or using the app) and resets the passport record.
So it seems. What we still don't know is "why". Hopefully, this is a one time process on the app.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 2:14 pm

Also, make sure to log into your GOES account and change your passport number and expiration date to the new information. When I went for my global entry appointment, they said that was the biggest issue they have had.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by TA

-
This has been an off and on again situation. I found another thread about this issue from 2014.

Even when a passenger updates the new passport number and expiration date either on the app or in person at the airport, the passengers still cannot view their own passport data on united.com. However, passengers can view the "trusted traveler" number, if they have one.

I suppose this change makes sense to someone, but, given the things that can go wrong when traveling, it would be a little comforting to be able to confirm on united.com that our profile passport information is correct. The way it is now with the change, passport data cannot be viewed by us on united.com.

As I wrote up thread, when I got my new passport, I had no trouble logging into Delta, AA and Koreanair to update my new passport number and expiration date. If I log into those airlines, I have no problem viewing my passport data.

To UA Insider, thank you very much for the information concerning the passport change on united.com.
-
Old Dec 21, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
I suppose this change makes sense to someone, but, given the things that can go wrong when traveling, it would be a little comforting to be able to confirm on united.com that our profile passport information is correct. The way it is now with the change, passport data cannot be viewed by us on united.com.
I am guessing they removed it because they don't really use the information from your online profile - it doesn't carry through to checkin. Before they had the ability to scan your passport on the app, so very many people were frustrated by the fact that they weren't able to check in for flights until they got to the airport (see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-checkin.html)

It also seemed that you needed to re-scan your passport at least once a year or so (not sure if this is still true or not - there's a lot less noise about this since they added the app feature).

In other words, don't sweat that you can't update your profile, and you should only have to do this for your first flight with the new details (and maybe once a year after that).
Old Dec 21, 2015, 5:03 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hello,

The quickest way to update passport information is through the United App during check-in for an international flight, as we have removed the passport data field from MileagePlus profiles on united.com. When you have a stored passport on the App, you will be asked to confirm that you are traveling with that passport. If travel documents have changed, you can choose to replace the existing passport or add a new passport (there is a limit of two stored passports). After selecting to replace or add a new passport, you will be prompted to accept the Passport Storage Terms. The application will then allow you to take a photo of the picture page of your passport. Once the validation process has been successfully completed, the check-in process can continue with the newly scanned passport. Hope this helps.

Thank you,

-UA Insider
Bolding mine: Why was this change made and does this only apply to entering a renewed passport as in looking at my profile. I don't see nor can I find my existing passport number anywhere and frankly, I think this change stinks as if there are any problems in entering the passport number at check-in via the app at T-24 hours, that might not be enough time to get things sorted out. For me, I'd rather have the information available to me and edit it when I receive my new passport and not have to worry
Old Dec 22, 2015, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by goalie
Bolding mine: Why was this change made and does this only apply to entering a renewed passport as in looking at my profile. I don't see nor can I find my existing passport number anywhere and frankly, I think this change stinks as if there are any problems in entering the passport number at check-in via the app at T-24 hours, that might not be enough time to get things sorted out. For me, I'd rather have the information available to me and edit it when I receive my new passport and not have to worry
There is no access to your passport information from your profile. Not to enter for the first time to modify or to replace. The link is gone.

You can out it into the passenger information from a booking but I'm not sure if that sticks. I suspect not.

And I agree. Hugely inconvenient. A change I do NOT like.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
There are solutions for everything...even hand wringing FTers.. UA will still save your passport info for future flights even though you can't see it. If you are very concerned, book yourself an international flight, check in using your phone, and then cancel it. Then next time when you're really traveling your passport will be there. The phone app works very well for passport scanning and because of that I have not done this myself, but if I were as annoyed as some appear to be.. I would.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
There are solutions for everything...even hand wringing FTers.. UA will still save your passport info for future flights even though you can't see it. If you are very concerned, book yourself an international flight, check in using your phone, and then cancel it. Then next time when you're really traveling your passport will be there. The phone app works very well for passport scanning and because of that I have not done this myself, but if I were as annoyed as some appear to be.. I would.
MY whole issue is that what if come time to check-in for an international flight and the app is down/or the part to scan your passport is down? Technology is supposed to make our lives easier-not to hold out breath and say "I hope it works"
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The information you could enter online never did anything useful. Prior to the app scanning, if you hadn't swiped at a kiosk recently, you were sent to the checkin counter. There's no loss of useful functionality here.

MY whole issue is that what if come time to check-in for an international flight and the app is down/or the part to scan your passport is down? Technology is supposed to make our lives easier-not to hold out breath and say "I hope it works"
You go to the checkin counter. The same thing you had to do prior to the app scanning.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Somewhat tangentially related, but are United every going to allow non-US passports to be scanned on the app (unless I have somehow missed the feature entirely).
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:49 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by mduell

You go to the checkin counter. The same thing you had to do prior to the app scanning.
It often happens with new technology that when things improve and are adopted to the point of becoming expected and clearly more convenient, being forced to use the old version is no longer "what you used to do anyway" but rather, a burden.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
This happened to me earlier this year. Used the app on T-24 check-in to scan the new passport. Not quite as easy as one might think to get the "bar code" aligned with the green field of the scanner. Once scanned everything was a-ok ^
Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
The information you could enter online never did anything useful. Prior to the app scanning, if you hadn't swiped at a kiosk recently, you were sent to the checkin counter. There's no loss of useful functionality here.

Iirc, it was a six month window so for someone taking an international flight every week, that would/could get to be a pitf if you had to have an agent scan your passport every time simply because the app wouldn't work
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR

I just got a new passport and I will just have to do that for my next international flight.. no big deal. Before you could do it on your phone it was a big deal if you were going for a day of departure upgrade and needed the time of check-in tie breaker. You can't get on the upgrade list until the passport is scanned. But the app works great.
Bolding mine -

If the app malfunctions, the check-in tie breaker puts the person with the changed passport lower on the list.

I still don't understand the purpose of the change to united.com.

U/A is the only airline to my knowledge that disabled the passport feature from its web site so that customers can no longer verify or change their data related to their passport.
-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.