Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hello,

The quickest way to update passport information is through the United App during check-in for an international flight, as we have removed the passport data field from MileagePlus profiles on united.com. When you have a stored passport on the App, you will be asked to confirm that you are traveling with that passport. If travel documents have changed, you can choose to replace the existing passport or add a new passport (there is a limit of two stored passports). After selecting to replace or add a new passport, you will be prompted to accept the Passport Storage Terms. The application will then allow you to take a photo of the picture page of your passport. Once the validation process has been successfully completed, the check-in process can continue with the newly scanned passport. Hope this helps.

Thank you,

-UA Insider
Will non-USA Passports also scan?
Yes (we need to build a list of which ones work)

What visa will scan?
(we need to build a list of which ones work)
China -- L tourist visa
Print Wikipost

Passport data entered by phone app scan

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
iphone or ipad? I had good sucess with my ipad..
iPhone. I did notice that the new passports have a very shiny picture page. I wonder if that's part of the problem.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:06 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I had the worst time almost missing my flight because I said I had a new passport and the app wouldn't accept it, rejecting online checkin.

If your old passport has not actually expired, I suggest telling the app nothing and using your old passport so as not to confuse it. Check-in as normal. Then at the airport, have it manually scanned by an agent, replacing the old info in their database. Saves a lot of trouble trying to get the app and passport scan recognition to behave.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had no success using the app earlier this year when I had to scan my new passport. I tried for twenty minutes with various phones and tablets, but somehow the lighting—or something—wasn't right. In the end just gave up and just went to the airport a little early.

For whatever it's worth, I never have trouble depositing cheques.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
It's your phone, I had no problem with either of my new passports.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
It's your phone, I had no problem with either of my new passports.
My phone scans checks perfectly all the time.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by milepig
My phone scans checks perfectly all the time.
ok, then lighting or cinematography
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: None anymore
Hahaha

Anyway I just went through this when I renewed my passport, the app works in such a way that you have to have the lines cross over the border of the passport. I kept holding the phone too far away and it wouldn't capture, but once I got a lot closer it captured it.
DadOBoys likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I've never had an issue. We travel frequently to Canada, and for most of the last year and a half, with a lap infant, so hers needed to be scanned every trip, since she had to be manually added by reservations each trip and we couldn't use a traveller profile online.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Question: I have the App and my Passport is on file with UA. My Son and I are on the same PNR (he does not have the APP) and he is associated with my account (is traveler #2 on my account). Can I add his Passport via the App or will I need to check in at the airport and have them scan his Passport there for an International journey.. Thanks and Safe Travels..
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:26 pm

Question: I have the App and my Passport is on file with UA. My Son and I are on the same PNR (he does not have the APP) and he is associated with my account (is traveler #2 on my account). Can I add his Passport via the App or will I need to check in at the airport and have them scan his Passport there for an International journey.. Thanks and Safe Travels..
Good question, you'll hafta let us know! At least you'll have 24 hours notice if you need to get to airport a tiny bit earlier to get his scanned...
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warrenw
Hahaha

Anyway I just went through this when I renewed my passport, the app works in such a way that you have to have the lines cross over the border of the passport. I kept holding the phone too far away and it wouldn't capture, but once I got a lot closer it captured it.
I'm glad I saw this post. I had to scan a visa, and trying to use the lines as a guide was not working at all. Then I ignored them and tried stepping the distance from phone to passport until it caught finally. There was relevant text clearly outside the highlight box (which is completely the wrong aspect ratio), but it OCR'd everything fine.
DadOBoys likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:06 pm

IIRC, when two travelers are on the same PNR, it asks you to confirm passport information for both. In my most recent INTL trip, both of us already had our passports in the system, but I recall there being an option to scan a new one.

(However, hopefully someone can confirm that you can indeed scan a new one. Regardless, I'd try it early enough so you can give yourself time at the airport in case there are issues.)
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
should be able to add it in the app. Dont know if it will stick for the next time, so may have to scan again, but no reason it shouldn't work.

IME, passport for check in should be related to the traveler on check in, not necessarily in your profile, and shouldn't matter whether they are a traveler in your profile or not.

Also IME, my 2.5 year old, who we've mostly traveled with as a lap infant, and often to Canada, and the app would always allow us to scan her passport and check her in. We would never get mobile BPs (don't think UA allows it for lap infants), but would always be able to check in no issues.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:32 pm

I just did this last week. My kids have new passports since the last time they flew international on United so at check in the app prompted me to scan their passports. It rejected my first attempt but using the option to turn on the phone's light helped with the shininess (seems counter-intuitive) and I got both to go through. When I checked in for our next international flight a few days later (same PNR) it had saved the information and I only needed to confirm it.

ETA: I was using an iPhone 6S.

Last edited by princeville; Aug 15, 2017 at 5:41 pm
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K2MM, HH Diamond (LT), Mar Plat, Avis First
I recently had to use the appl to scan both my wife and mine passport. I scanned her first on an Apple7, and it worked flawlessly. I try to do mine on android, it would not accept the scan. When it did, it OCRed the image, with the correct information, but would not accept the data. This happen several times over a period of 20 minutes. I then logged on the appl on her iPhone and had the same issues, refusing to scan, when it did scan, refusing the data, even though the data was correct. after twenty minutes on the iphone, I went back to the android, and it accepted after a couple of attemps.

My wife passport is old, about 8-9 years. Mine was just issued. So it may have to do with the extra shininess on the face page.

I believe UA needs to recalibrate the appl to handle the new passport facepage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.