Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Experiences on UA with aborted takeoffs, landings, go-arounds, .... [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences on UA with aborted takeoffs, landings, go-arounds, .... [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Fascinating!
Imstevek likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I had my first UA go-around yesterday: Landing at SFO after a one-hour ground delay at LAX, we were about to touch down when all of a sudden -- whoosh! We were almost at a right angle. I immediately thought of this thread, but this is the first chance I've had to get back on Flyertalk. The captain said that there was a plane on the runway that didn't take off fast enough, and it cost us 20 minutes (and many people their connections).
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by SS255
I had my first UA go-around yesterday: Landing at SFO after a one-hour ground delay at LAX, we were about to touch down when all of a sudden -- whoosh! We were almost at a right angle. I immediately thought of this thread, but this is the first chance I've had to get back on Flyertalk. The captain said that there was a plane on the runway that didn't take off fast enough, and it cost us 20 minutes (and many people their connections).
While I don't doubt it felt that way, you were surely nowhere near at a right angle to the ground, either in pitch or roll.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by physioprof
While I don't doubt it felt that way, you were surely nowhere near at a right angle to the ground, either in pitch or roll.
And not to be too niggly but..

While it cost SOME PAX their connections, it potentially saved ALL PAX lives.

Lurker
757FO likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
We were almost at a right angle.
While it may feel that way, due to the acceleration, the actual pitch attitude of the airplane on a go-around is in the 10 to 15 degrees above level range. That's actually somewhat lower than what you have on takeoff.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
We were almost at a right angle.
It's possible that SS255 meant that the angle was almost perfectly correct for the situation.
zspitzer likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Many years ago, sitting upstairs in a rear facing seat SYD-SFO, we had a go around because the airplane in front of us hadn't cleared the runway yet. Given the lower weight after such a long flight, the 747-400 felt like a rocket ship during this period. As a simple private pilot I enjoyed this.
Imstevek likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
UA4466 (STL - ORD) had an aborted landing this morning. I assume it was due to low ceiling. I'd experienced a few others but this was the most dramatic. I assume because it was a RJ, it maneuvers a bit more nimbly than a bigger plane and boy did this pilot ever do some maneuvering .
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Aborted landing. After touching xown

I just landed in DEN after a first for me. Flight 5916 from SLC touched down HARD, and then went around. No explanation from the pilot. Can anyone find out what happened?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
I just landed in DEN after a first for me. Flight 5916 from SLC touched down HARD, and then went around. No explanation from the pilot. Can anyone find out what happened?
Unless you can get the ATC tapes (possibly) or talk to the pilots themselves I’m afraid any answers here would be purely speculative.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Experienced my first go-around on United last night #1076 RSW-EWR. After we got back in the pattern at 3,000ft the pilot calmly told us we initiated a go-around due to "winds not meeting minimums" (it was noticeably windy on descent and short final).

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...000Z/KRSW/KEWR

I rather enjoyed it because I knew exactly what was happening. I suppose if you don't know what's going on it can feel quite jarring. My last go-around was years ago on ATA into MDW during a snowstorm.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msg75
Experienced my first go-around on United last night #1076 RSW-EWR. After we got back in the pattern at 3,000ft the pilot calmly told us we initiated a go-around due to "winds not meeting minimums" (it was noticeably windy on descent and short final).

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL1076/history/20190111/0000Z/KRSW/KEWR

I rather enjoyed it because I knew exactly what was happening. I suppose if you don't know what's going on it can feel quite jarring. My last go-around was years ago on ATA into MDW during a snowstorm.
Doesn't sound like much of a vacation!
msg75 and onthesam like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
Doesn't sound like much of a vacation!
Curses! Now you've got the jingle stuck in my head!
onthesam likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Had a "go around" last night on EWR-SFO #1885 due to being to close to a southwest plane landing on a parallel runway. Auto alerts activated. Seemed to be a surprise to everyone including the pilots. They had just announce clear night, all set for a beautiful landing at the top of the hour and after a normal descent, we pulled up suddenly and started ascending and circling. The pilots were great, very informative but I can't help but think the un-paid air traffic controllers had something to due with this.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...110Z/KEWR/KSFO

Last edited by LongingForORD; Jan 11, 2019 at 10:24 am Reason: added flight aware history
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LongingForORD
Had a "go around" last night on EWR-SFO #1885 due to being to close to a southwest plane landing on a parallel runway. Auto alerts activated. Seemed to be a surprise to everyone including the pilots. They had just announce clear night, all set for a beautiful landing at the top of the hour and after a normal descent, we pulled up suddenly and started ascending and circling. The pilots were great, very informative but I can't help but think the un-paid air traffic controllers had something to due with this.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...110Z/KEWR/KSFO
In case such episodes become more prevalent with the protracted federal government disruption, I'm curious how delayed your flight turned out to be, as a result of this go-around?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.