Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Experiences on UA with aborted takeoffs, landings, go-arounds, .... [Consolidated]

Experiences on UA with aborted takeoffs, landings, go-arounds, .... [Consolidated]

Old Dec 11, 15, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Gold
I'd agree, although the feeling has shifted from "whats going on?!?!?" to "damn, I hope I don't miss my connection because of this", it's definitely noticeable when you go from a negative to positive vertical speed or when you hear the engines go from nearly idle to full.

I've maybe had maybe 5 in my 500K or so lifetime miles but so far zero aborted takeoffs. Those must be more rare
Old Dec 11, 15, 9:42 am

Programs: AA DULtArer
Originally Posted by TA View Post
What? The aircraft had touched the ground, and they went around? I would think that at that point, braking for your life (1000-2000 ft required) would avoid a crash more than taking off (3000-4000 ft required)...
If you post the flight and time I bet FlightAware will show you didn't actually touch down.
Old Dec 12, 15, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA Platinum Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LaserSailor View Post
If you post the flight and time I bet FlightAware will show you didn't actually touch down.
Correct. It shows us going around but in fact every wheel was down on the runway before we went up again
Old Feb 24, 16, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat., Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres
Two Firsts - Abort & Divert

Tough day at EWR yesterday. UA4922 IAD-EWR 4 hour delay. Finally en route and about to touch down with the lights on 4L in sight out the left window. Under a maybe 200 ft ceiling we pull up in a Dash-3 and head to ALB. Head back ALB-EWR on UA4954 and land at 9:50 pm. After roughly 1,000,000 miles in 15+ years, first abort and first divert. Good times.
Old Feb 24, 16, 11:54 pm

I'm surprised you hadn't experience a go-around in 1,000,000 miles! I experience 1 every 100,000 miles or so but admittedly some of those have been unusual.
Old Feb 25, 16, 12:27 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by blackllotus View Post
I'm surprised you hadn't experience a go-around in 1,000,000 miles! I experience 1 every 100,000 miles or so but admittedly some of those have been unusual.
I've had 1 (one) in over 1.6MM paid and many 100Ks award flights. There does seem to be a wide range of experiences in this thread.
Old Feb 25, 16, 1:57 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
I've had 1 (one) in over 1.6MM paid and many 100Ks award flights. There does seem to be a wide range of experiences in this thread.
I would say...On UA that I can recall over 14 ish years

5/6 go arounds- wind, other plane not cleared runway etc

2 diverts - fire in the hold light on

3 high speed take off aborts
4 or 5 warning lights as the engine revved on take off
1 Bird strike knocked an engine out on a 747 but we were landing in Syd anyway
Old Feb 25, 16, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by blackllotus View Post
I've had 3 over the past 20 years and 1m+ miles - two on AA at DCA, and one on UA at IAD.
Old Feb 25, 16, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
I've never had an aborted takeoff or a diversion, but I have had two go-arounds.

Both on final approach into SAT. One of them, we were in the pattern, seemingly next in line based on where we were, but suddenly, we started climbing back to approach altitude and circled the city before landing.

The other time was a little more dramatic. We were pretty low and extremely close to the airport when suddenly the engines gunned and we had a sharp climb. I can't remember exactly how it was worded, but reasoning seemed to be that there had been a runway incursion at the last minute.
Old Feb 25, 16, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
I've had 3. The most recent was flying into DEN with tstorms in the area. We were probably 500ft or so from touchdown when we gunned it, and went in back up. Pilot came on and said he got a windshear warning and went around. Circled for about 20 minutes then went in and landed on a different runway uneventfully.

The more interesting time was way back in 1997 coming into SFO on an a320. We were just over the piers landing on the 28's and up we went. Pilot came on and said a plane taking of on the 1's perpendicular to us took his sweet time starting his takeoff roll so we went around. When we came around again, up we went again for a second time. This time people were a bit unnerved. The pilot comes on again and said- in an annoyed voice- that the same thing happened again and that it's the first time he's had a double go-around in his career. We finally landed the third time.
Old Feb 25, 16, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I haven't had any go-arounds or diverts as of yet <knocks on wood>.

.9M paid on United plus all the awards....hmmm time to buy a lottery ticket?
Old Feb 25, 16, 2:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K, UA Gold
i'm at 500k and i've had one go round and one return to airport.
Old Feb 25, 16, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (2.6+ MM), UA *G, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I've initiated a GA with all wheels on the ground with an 18G28K X-wind starting to push the plane off the side of the runway. Many go-arounds at ATC request or plane not clearing the runway. It is a common occurrence that we train for. This is mainly in small(ish) planes such as KA-90/200, PA-23, PA-34, C-182, PA-28, etc.

On part 121 (commercial flights) I've have had 2 emergency landings, 6 diversions and 5 go-arounds in more than 3.4 million flown miles (most flying on AA, UA, AS and BA). The 2 in-flights were an engine indicator and subsequent engine shutdown and turn-back to JFK on aa AA 767 over greenland and a total engine loss after hitting a flock of birds on departure from ORD in a UA A320.

Last edited by timfountain; Feb 25, 16 at 6:57 pm
Old Mar 2, 16, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Aborted landings

Ok, so in the last 48 hours I've had two aborted landings aboard ERJ145s.

Flight 4274 on 2/29 and 3958 this afternoon both had normal approach and then pulled up at last second. 4274 had clear skies, calm winds. 3958 had gusty winds, clear skies, and attempted to land on an alternate runway than normal (assume based on wind).

Today's flight seemed more like pilot issues- he was struggling to line up the plane the whole first approach, which was tight on a westerly turn away from Manhattan.

I want to say something really bad about Expressjet and their pilots, but I don't know if it's the equipment, the crews, or what....I simply have significantly more issues aboard this aircraft and with this version of the express fleet than any of the mainline or other contracted carriers with UA
Old Mar 2, 16, 1:37 pm

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
ERJ's are older and more used than most of the rest of the fleet - hence maint issues.

But, the flight crew did the right thing - they aborted the landing when they felt it was unsafe. We dont know whey they aborted, it could have been issues with lining up on the runway, traffic incursion on the runway, some weather issue. Either way, they did not land when they felt it was unsafe.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: