Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Experiences on UA with aborted takeoffs, landings, go-arounds, .... [Consolidated]

Experiences on UA with aborted takeoffs, landings, go-arounds, .... [Consolidated]

Old Dec 2, 15, 1:49 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Highly unlikely the two incidents are related.

The police are not going to interfere with ATC tower operations particularly at critical altitudes near the runway.

Like the previous post suggests, if law enforcement relays the request to ATC that they need time to set up an operation; there is plenty of real estate on the ground they can be held at. I never have heard of this happening, but in theory they could contact United or the en route controlling ATC center and hold at altitude as well.
Old Dec 2, 15, 1:53 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
As to sharp rates of climb, that's SOP for go arounds. I had one on a 777 arriving SFO and it's amazing how fast they climb when they've used most of the fuel.
tuolumne likes this.
Old Dec 2, 15, 7:27 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
As to sharp rates of climb, that's SOP for go arounds. I had one on a 777 arriving SFO and it's amazing how fast they climb when they've used most of the fuel.
yes indeed, was on 747 into SFO and another aircraft did not exit our runway....was almost at the bars on the runway when the go-around was initiated and it felt straight up.... when the captain came on and broke the stunned silence after leveling off he said "Well folks, as I'm sure you can guess, we had to execute a go-around there..."
tuolumne likes this.
Old Dec 2, 15, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G
In many cases, when it is go-around time, it is go time. That is to say, there is some genuine urgency/time sensitivity to one aircraft clearing a flightpath or airspace.
Was caused by loss of separation and we were just coming into SFO from SAN, so fairly light to start with but the climb is steep indeed and the pattern flown on go-arounds does seem dramatic to those of us who fly a fair amount and are used to "normal" aircraft operations.
tuolumne likes this.
Old Dec 2, 15, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
In my go-around experience, the "sharp rate of climb" feels like "takeoff climb" to me. Nothing we don't experience often; just happens at a point in the flight we're not used to. <shrugs>
Old Dec 2, 15, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by TennisNoob View Post
Sounds related. Police were not ready at the jetbridge so they told the plane to go around?

But than they could have just had the plane circle around on the taxiway
Right, that's my thinking now that I've had some time to process. They're probably unrelated, because if they just needed more time for the police to get there, they could have landed and said the gate wasn't ready yet.

Anyways, this was my first go-around. I've had two emergency landings and one aborted take-off, and this was definitely the most unsettling. NgatesSEA nailed it that it was dramatic because it was just so different from normal aircraft movement.
Old Dec 2, 15, 11:30 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
In my go-around experience, the "sharp rate of climb" feels like "takeoff climb" to me. Nothing we don't experience often; just happens at a point in the flight we're not used to. <shrugs>
I know my experience was nothing like a takeoff.
Old Dec 2, 15, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Imstevek View Post
+1. Not even close.
Old Dec 2, 15, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Originally Posted by Imstevek View Post
Ever taken off out of SNA?
Old Dec 2, 15, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
Yeah, I'd say it wasn't particularly like a takeoff. Maybe at first it was, but it got pretty sharp pretty quickly, and we also started to make some somewhat unusual turns. The turns were what really made me sit up and pay attention.
Old Dec 2, 15, 12:26 pm

HA - agree that SNA can be steep and if memory serves, I've had some severe takeoffs out of SJC as well, essentially circling the field as we ascended.
Old Dec 2, 15, 12:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K, UA Gold
SNA is fun...esp when the 757s were rolling through here.
Old Dec 2, 15, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

+1. Had one a few months ago coming into DCA on AA. Someone didn't get off the runway fast enough and we had to abort, and climbed quickly.
Old Dec 2, 15, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
+1. Had one a few months ago coming into DCA on AA. Someone didn't get off the runway fast enough and we had to abort, and climbed quickly.
I had the incredibly awesome experience of being in the DCA ATC tower (~Aug. 2006) when they had to send someone around for this reason. The controllers indicated this happens with some regularity at DCA given the layout of the field and the restricted airspace. I don't know if this is more or less common than other airports. Was pretty cool to observe the calm but firm and urgent tone of the controller when they pulled the trigger and sent the landing AC around.
Old Dec 2, 15, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by NgatesSEA View Post
In many cases, when it is go-around time, it is go time. That is to say, there is some genuine urgency/time sensitivity to one aircraft clearing a flightpath or airspace. I recorded a video on a UA 757 going around at SFO a couple of years ago Was caused by loss of separation and we were just coming into SFO from SAN, so fairly light to start with but the climb is steep indeed and the pattern flown on go-arounds does seem dramatic to those of us who fly a fair amount and are used to "normal" aircraft operations.
The go-around here wasn't caused by the loss of separation with the flight on the parallel approach. At this point in the approach, you're on a VFR approach with the pilots responsible for visual separation between the a/c.

I suspect the go-around was caused by 28L being occupied or an incursion.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: