Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Experiences on UA with aborted takeoffs, landings, go-arounds, .... [Consolidated]

Experiences on UA with aborted takeoffs, landings, go-arounds, .... [Consolidated]

Old Aug 21, 15, 10:14 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
When you say "takeoff was aborted very last second", you mean as you were zooming down the runway, or before starting the takeoff sequence?
Old Aug 21, 15, 10:15 am
Suspended

I hope the pilot knew about the fire before it was reported to him by another plane! They have warnings and alarms, right?
Old Aug 21, 15, 10:21 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
It looks like it was the same plane. It was probably something minor, or nothing at all.
Old Aug 21, 15, 10:42 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by LASUA1K View Post
It looks like it was the same plane. It was probably something minor, or nothing at all.
It was the same plane (ship# 3514) with status showing "returned to gate" and then "Delayed due to aircraft maintenance (Arrived Gate 3 Hours Late)"
Old Aug 21, 15, 11:51 am

Programs: UAL 1M/1K/*G, OnePass, Hhonners Diamond, National Executive, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
When you say "takeoff was aborted very last second", you mean as you were zooming down the runway, or before starting the takeoff sequence?
Yup, take off aborted at 75% Vto or so.

Originally Posted by NewportGuy View Post
I hope the pilot knew about the fire before it was reported to him by another plane! They have warnings and alarms, right?
Don't think so, the pilot specifically mentioned that one of the planes in line for take off behind us, reported the flames coming out of the engine.

Heard that this is sometimes the result of some jet fuel in the exhaust that burns up.
Old Aug 21, 15, 11:59 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by choefman View Post
Wow. I've experienced an aborted landing once or twice just as we were about to touch down, but never an aborted takeoff. Was the braking much more severe than what you experience on a normal landing?
Old Aug 21, 15, 12:04 pm

Programs: UAL 1M/1K/*G, OnePass, Hhonners Diamond, National Executive, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
Wow. I've experienced an aborted landing once or twice just as we were about to touch down, but never an aborted takeoff. Was the braking much more severe than what you experience on a normal landing?
Maybe a little, it was a little rough but perhaps just more unexpected than anything else.
Old Aug 21, 15, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't think so, the pilot specifically mentioned that one of the planes in line for take off behind us, reported the flames coming out of the engine.

Heard that this is sometimes the result of some jet fuel in the exhaust that burns up.
Believe the correct terminology would be V1 for max calculated speed that can still abort the take off, if faster must take off. And RTO for Rejected Take Off. But hopefully a UA pilot can verify. I just never heard of Vto.

But I could be wrong. Has happened before and will most likely happen again.

Believe me, not trying to take away from a possible scary situation.
Old Aug 21, 15, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Flames out the front or back?

Back might just be a little fuel pooled somewhere, front is usually compressor stall/unstart.
Old Aug 21, 15, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Flames out the front or back?

Back might just be a little fuel pooled somewhere, front is usually compressor stall/unstart.
Not a clue
Old Aug 21, 15, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Baze View Post
Believe the correct terminology would be V1 for max calculated speed that can still abort the take off, if faster must take off. And RTO for Rejected Take Off. But hopefully a UA pilot can verify. I just never heard of Vto.

But I could be wrong. Has happened before and will most likely happen again.

Believe me, not trying to take away from a possible scary situation.
V1 and Vto are the same thing...
Old Aug 21, 15, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: RCC: SC; BC: M.Ed.; UA: PG; DL: GM
Since the CFM56 is not normally equipped with afterburners, that may pose a legitimate cause for concern.
Old Aug 21, 15, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by kale73 View Post
Since the CFM56 is not normally equipped with afterburners, that may pose a legitimate cause for concern.
So, by "not normally" are you implying that afterburners are an option? Perhaps for those really, really short fields? This option would also make for interesting jumps out of places like SNA (Orange County / Santa Ana Calif.) that have noise restrictions.
Old Aug 21, 15, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL peon
There's also (any pilots please correct me if I'm wrong) Vr, which is the minimum velocity at which the pilot can initiate rotation (or pulling back on the stick to get the front gear off the ground). V1 is the maximum velocity at which the takeoff could be aborted and still have runway on which to stop.

Actually, there's a whole slew of V speeds: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_speeds
Old Aug 21, 15, 2:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
THought V2 and Vto were the same thing and V1 was lower than V2,

Search this Thread
Search Engine: