Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Experiences on UA with aborted takeoffs, landings, go-arounds, .... [Consolidated]

Experiences on UA with aborted takeoffs, landings, go-arounds, .... [Consolidated]

Old May 10, 17, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Flight 1909 EWR-LAS on Saturday. On final approach with gear down and we were waved off just short of runway because of high winds....went around and landed on a different runway.
Old Jul 27, 17, 3:12 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
UA 1890 Aborted Landing

I was on flight 1890 today from EWR to TPA and we had an aborted landing. No one could understand the announcement so I was trying to figure out what happened.
Old Jul 27, 17, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Lighting strike would be my guess
Old Jul 27, 17, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold
You can listen to the ATC tape here: http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kt...2017-1730Z.mp3 though it's a combination of ground tower and approach so you miss some transmissions on one frequency while listening to transmissions on another. Times below are timecode on the mp3.

Anyway, at 13:11 UA1890 checks in with tower on a visual for 19L, and tower asked them to take 19R because some firetrucks were crossing 19L. UA1890 accepts, is cleared to land 19R, and reads it back at 13:36. Less than two minutes later (15:18) UA1890 calls a go around. I didn't hear them being asked or saying why they went around.

My guess from looking at the airport diagram (http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1708/00416AD.PDF), while trying to sidestep to a runway with a closer threshold to them, they realized they weren't comfortably configured, so elected to go around and try again.

Go arounds are an extremely common, unexciting thing. As you can hear on the tape, no one sounds concerned or surprised that someone might be going around. Tower gives UA1890 a heading and altitude to climb to, and the world keeps turning.
Old Jul 27, 17, 3:54 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
Thanks, as I'm newer to traveling that was my first time for that to happen. No one on the crew seemed remotely concerned so it did not seem to be an issue. More than anything I wanted to know what happened. Thanks again for the info!!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 27, 17 at 4:27 pm Reason: repaired formating
Old Jul 27, 17, 3:57 pm

Programs: United Gold MM, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by mike2003242 View Post
Thanks, as I'm newer to traveling that was my first time for that to happen. No one on the crew seemed remotely concerned so it did not seem to be an issue. More than anything I wanted to know what happened. Thanks again for the info!!

Always worth thanking the crew for making a go around choice and not forcing a square peg into a round hole.
Old Jul 27, 17, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Safety over " gotta get there" ! Smart choice
Old Jul 27, 17, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1k, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mike2003242 View Post
Sometimes the FA will say something or even the pilot if they have time however if you don't see the welcoming committee (lights and sirens) after landing it's busniness as usual IME.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 27, 17 at 4:26 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Jul 27, 17, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
At least you had an announcement. I had a landing at ATL several years ago where we were literally 50 feet from the runway (at least it looked like it) after descending through a storm, when we abruptly pulled up, circled and came in again. The whole plain went completely silent until we finally landed, and to this day I have no idea what happened...but I'd guess the runway was not clear and they couldn't see that until we got through the very low cloud cover.
Old Jul 27, 17, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The first go around I remember was a crosswind landing at Denver on runway 26. At the runway threshold we were so crabbed sideways I could almost see straight down the taxi way that we were closer to than the center line of the runway. Pilot made an announcement about the wind and we circled to land on on of the 35s. It's always a little bit of a rush when the plane goes full throttle so close to landing.
Old Jul 27, 17, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by FL390 View Post
It's always a little bit of a rush when the plane goes full throttle so close to landing.
Equally fun is when you're barreling down the runway and the engines chop off and the brakes are applied. Had that happen once back in the 80's. Pilot comes on a few minutes later and lets us know that 'A couple of Red Lights came on here in the cockpit, so we decided to abort takeoff".

Another interesting experience was a rapid descent and landing due to a medical emergency. Flying at 32K feet, 15 minutes later we are on the ground at Birmingham. Plane dropped like a rock straight into the airport. No turns, just a rapid descent followed by a hard landing. We got met on the taxiway by the paramedics in catering truck.

Last edited by drowelf; Jul 27, 17 at 6:25 pm Reason: grammar
Old Jul 27, 17, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Only down to 1100ft, not terribly dramatic.
Old Jul 27, 17, 6:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Only down to 1100ft, not terribly dramatic.
I agree, not dramatic at all. 1000' go around is a non-event.
Old Jul 27, 17, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA/DL/WN/ex-UA elite
It can't be an aborted landing if you didn't touch the runway.
Old Jul 27, 17, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by JBord View Post
At least you had an announcement. I had a landing at ATL several years ago where we were literally 50 feet from the runway (at least it looked like it) after descending through a storm, when we abruptly pulled up, circled and came in again. The whole plain went completely silent until we finally landed, and to this day I have no idea what happened...but I'd guess the runway was not clear and they couldn't see that until we got through the very low cloud cover.
Or wind shear. I had this happen in DEN a handful of years ago, and, after aborting at what must've been the last possible window, we flew directly north half way to Montana before getting sequenced back and and then finally the cockpit let us in on an "over-speed" condition on the initial approach.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: