Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Experiences on UA with aborted takeoffs, landings, go-arounds, .... [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences on UA with aborted takeoffs, landings, go-arounds, .... [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:17 am

Many years ago on UA901 FRA-SFO on a 777. Channel 9 was on. We had to circle above Point Reyes for about an hour due to weather at SFO. When we finally were about to touch down on 19L we had to go around due to another aircraft still being on the runway. Nothing like full thrust when you least expect it.

To make things even more exciting we got to go back in a holding pattern for another half an hour during which pilots were talking about being low on fuel and asking ATC to get us down sooner. I miss Channel 9.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, WR, AA Gold, Friend of Dorothy
Originally Posted by bizinsider
Oh, that's great to know, JSloan. Wonder if I got the wrong plane number b/c that's an A320. Anyway to go back in time and see which aircraft was UA Flight 1798 on Dec 5?

Follow Up: Found it: Went to Flighttrader24.com, put in my flight number and there it was. Plane was N845UA (aircraft# 4045). 15 years old. Looks like it was grounded in San Diego for a little more than a day. And JimmyJoe it WAS probably the same plane you were on if you had been on UA698 December 5. if you go to FlightAware you can see your go around. Link to your flight here.
Yes, that's my ship.

I took a screen shot of the app flight status as it showed we were canceled even though we were airborne.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:50 am

I wonder if it was the same plane - aircraft (not flight) #4284.
it wasn't the same plane - #4284 came from IAD
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: UA Silver, DL General, SW, Virgin, Lufthansa
Originally Posted by JimmyJoe
I had almost the identical thing happen Monday morning from SEA to SFO also on a UA A319. During approach into SFO, before doing final left turn over the south bay, the lights went out and engines to full throttle for a moment. We continued way further south than normal before turning left and back up to land 10-15 minutes later.

Upon landing the captain said there was an electrical failure. When deplaning a mechanic was standing on the jet bridge muttering something about another broken plane today.

I didn't notice whether an engine went out as well. I don't think so.

Anyone out there think they know what's up?
Yes, see my post above. Exact same plane, same day.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: UA Silver, DL General, SW, Virgin, Lufthansa
Originally Posted by runner450
it wasn't the same plane - #4284 came from IAD
Actually, respectively disagree, though admittedly I may have had the wrong plane number: Here's a screen shot of the plane's activity that day from FlightTrader24... it was!
Attached Images  

Last edited by bizinsider; Dec 8, 2016 at 2:25 pm
Old Dec 9, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, WR, AA Gold, Friend of Dorothy
Actually, respectively disagree, though admittedly I may have had the wrong plane number: Here's a screen shot of the plane's activity that day from FlightTrader24... it was!
That's a bit strange that the plane flew from PDX to SEA.

Update:
Never mind, I miss read. It showed that my SEA-SFO flight pushed back, returned to the gate (medicAl emergency) and then went to SFO.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 9, 2016 at 5:58 pm Reason: Merged update
Old Dec 12, 2016, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by narvik
That.
Please post your itinerary for next 6 months so we can avoid you!
IAH-MOB, plane just took off and landed back in IAH as the landing gear door wouldn't close.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by brp1264
IAH-MOB, plane just took off and landed back in IAH as the landing gear door wouldn't close.
I once flew PHL-MDT on US on a Dash 8 with the landing gear door open the whole flight
Old Dec 12, 2016, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
On Friday, I was on UA1635 (ONT-DEN) and we were on final (gears down, flaps in landing configuration), when I feel the aircraft accelerating and the flaps retracting into a climbout configuration. After we break off the approach and make left hand turn to enter the traffic pattern again (we didn't even make it to the threshold), the pilot came on the PA and announced that the tower had instructed the fight crew to break off the approach because of "traffic on a parallel runway".
Old Dec 31, 2016, 3:04 pm

Yesterday (12/30) I was on UA 6099 and we aborted takeoff from pretty good speed on the runway, with all of the associated effects others have described: fire trucks out to the runway to visually inspect brakes for any fire, lengthy delay, etc. Pilot told us he aborted due to (I'm paraphrasing) "data dropping off his computer screen." No real drama but it did play havoc with my arrival for birth of a grandchild. Safety is a good thing though.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: UA Platinum Marriott Platinum
Channel 7 just showed live converge of a UA 737 plane that just aborted takeoff at EWR that had emergency services in tow.

They seem to think it is United 2001 to ORD
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Ah! That airframe #3217 is scheduled to be my flight #1405 EWR-PBI this afternoon. I sure hope they fixed whatever caused the abort (if a mechanical)! https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...SO=EWR&FSD=EWR

Last edited by physioprof; Mar 17, 2017 at 9:03 am Reason: Added link to flight status.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:02 am

rejected @98kts...t/o config warning

should swap to #3253 for the EWR PBI routing

Last edited by runner450; Mar 17, 2017 at 9:09 am
Old May 10, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum Marriott Platinum
United 1412 today San Jose to Denver diverted To sfo for maintenance issue. Not sure what specifically
Old May 10, 2017, 6:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
First time seeing this thread...

In early 2002, my first go around on a Continental 737 SFO (probably)-EWR, pretty rough air headed into EWR over the Turnpike. We were within seconds of landing when we went around, another aircraft was reported by the captain as being on the runway. Worst part was having to spend another 20-30 minutes at low altitude with turbulence the whole way. Incidentally, the trip outbound and the return to EWR were the only times I ever flew Continental before the merger.

June 4, 2014, BWI-SFO, an A320 or A319. Went around with maybe 10 seconds to go before landing. Got a great photo of the Pacific Ocean, mountains, and beaches to the west of SFO. Some reason was announced but the PA wasn't loud enough to be able to tell what was said.

Both were pretty uneventful. You do really feel a bit of the power of these jets though, more so than on takeoffs.

And I guess this would fall into the "..." category, October 23, 2013, SYD-LAX on the 747-400. Blew tires on takeoff, had to dump fuel and return. Landing was perfectly normal despite what appeared to be some initial doubt as to if the landing would be normal or not. http://www.avherald.com/h?article=46a33f88

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.