FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Experiences on UA with aborted takeoffs, landings, go-arounds, .... [Consolidated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1730679-experiences-ua-aborted-takeoffs-landings-go-arounds-consolidated.html)

bmwe92fan Mar 19, 2016 12:17 pm

Was on a UA flight a few years back from AMS on a 767 and the pilot forgot to latch his window properly and came open half way down the runway - they SLAMMED on the brakes when I thought we were going to rotate and we just barely stopped by the end of the runway - we blew out two tires and fried two complete brake assemblies.

They closed runway and we sat there for hours while they fixed the tires and then finally were able to tow us to the gate - by that time all US bound flights had left so I made it home the next day... Did have a few drinks that night - never had such a high speed deceleration in a large plane before - was a bit scary because when it happens you KNOW something is wrong...

FBWFTW Mar 19, 2016 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by nikolastojsin (Post 26352468)
No rejected takeoffs here, thankfully, but had two aborted landings in the past few years... one of which was on an AF A380 into CDG. There is something to be said about four engines going into TOGA setting less than 500ft above ground!

That must've been a feeling and a half!

FBWFTW Mar 19, 2016 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 26273457)
The procedure for a "circle to 29" is visual and requires a fairly low, sweeping turn over Jersey City from the normal approach to the 22s, to a final leg almost parallel to 78 and the Newark Bay Bridge. In gusty winds, like today, it can be a bit tricky, at least compared to the 'normal' approach to the parallel runways with a 6-7 mile final.

When I worked on NY harbor-the first time I saw that circle to 29-iirc was a Lufty 744 or (perhaps a pmCO 777) I can't remember 100% cause I saw so many others do it afterward-but it was big! I was looking at it from around governors island as I was driving a ferry south towards Bayonne. I thought we were under attack at first because the angle made it seem like the plane was banking TOWARD the Statue of Liberty. Adrenaline rush for a second until I realized it was landing =p

I can't imagine what it's like to be aboard for that turn cause it sure does look really low!

bizinsider Dec 6, 2016 5:56 pm

When Pilot Training Proves Itself

On the early flight last night from SFO to SAN our A319 captain - and I wish I knew his name - proved the quality of his training, and then some. I've flown a lot and have had a go-around or two. This time was different.

The flight started out delayed on the tarmac at SFO because of some kind of an electrical issue with the engine that required some kind of reboot after 15 minutes of sitting with the engine running. Then away we went the relatively quick flight was fine until...we were about to land.

We must have been within a quarter mile from the airport, if that, when the thrusters went full bore and we started to rapidly climb. The first officer said something about air traffic control and I just assumed a plane was on the runway. She said we would be on a new flight path and back on the ground shortly.

But an off-duty FA sitting next to me, who has been flying for more than 20 years, leaned over and said, "Something's wrong." She had noticed something I hadn't: Just before this happened ALL of the lights in the cabin, including the fast-seat belt signs and the emergency lights in the aisle went dark. The cabin was pitch black.

We then flew for around 10 or 15 additional minutes - not a simple go around. The engines sounded a little off. The cabin, in addition to being dark, was absolutely quiet. Nobody was saying a word.

And then...we landed. A normal, fine landing. Once we got to the gate, the captain, whose PA did work, explained that a generator had failed. He then made sure he was at the door to greet everybody as they exited. I asked a little more as we were leaving and he said his instrumentation had also gone out. I have since learned that he was probably rebooting everything. I have no idea if he had rebooted his instruments or landed visually with old analog dials (maybe a pilot could chime in on that.)

What I didn't do was thank him. He had a big smile on his face as if he was thrilled everything worked out so well. My guess is that this isn't exactly routine, but the important part is: Regardless of whether it is or isn't, his training paid off!

And for that, 100 people or so were thankful. I certainly was.

Herb

Kacee Dec 6, 2016 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by bizinsider (Post 27575079)
On the early flight last night from SFO to SAN our A319 captain - and I wish I knew his name - proved the quality of his training, and then some. I've flown a lot and have had a go-around or two. This time was different.

Glad to hear everyone arrived safe. Thanks for reminding us there are more important aspects to the journey than upgrades and meal priority!

st530 Dec 7, 2016 2:12 pm

Had a go-around on UA 1456 (LGA-IAH) on Dec. 3. At about 1,000 feet and on finals the engines revved and up we went to about 3,500 feet for 10-15 minutes before landing on our second attempt. No announcements, so I don't know the cause.

JimmyJoe Dec 7, 2016 2:23 pm

I had almost the identical thing happen Monday morning from SEA to SFO also on a UA A319. During approach into SFO, before doing final left turn over the south bay, the lights went out and engines to full throttle for a moment. We continued way further south than normal before turning left and back up to land 10-15 minutes later.

Upon landing the captain said there was an electrical failure. When deplaning a mechanic was standing on the jet bridge muttering something about another broken plane today.

I didn't notice whether an engine went out as well. I don't think so.

Anyone out there think they know what's up?

narvik Dec 7, 2016 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 27575613)
Thanks for reminding us there are more important aspects to the journey than upgrades and meal priority!

How very true!

tealeaf99 Dec 7, 2016 4:05 pm

(I am just seeing this thread).

10/06/2016, UA 1699, IAH-SFO, B737-900, 6:25pm departure.

During the first take-off, the pilot slammed on the brakes. It sounded like we busted a tire, but apparently we did not. The pilot said that a cargo latch was not properly latched, and that we had to return to the gate.

After a while we were cleared for take-off again. During the second take-off, and just before going airborne, the pilot again slammed on the brakes. The pilot said that the cargo latch was still not properly latched?!

We had to wait for a gate to open. As the pax deplaned, there was chaos at the gate - lots of chaos. There was ONE UA gate agent to assist the pax.

To make a long story short, I called UA and got on the next departing IAH-SFO. UA (on the phone) did not want to offload me and book me on the next flight. They eventually did after I escalated the issue.

RobOnLI Dec 7, 2016 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by tealeaf99 (Post 27579794)
(I am just seeing this thread).

10/06/2016, UA 1699, IAH-SFO, B737-900, 6:25pm departure.

During the first take-off, the pilot slammed on the brakes. It sounded like we busted a tire, but apparently we did not. The pilot said that a cargo latch was not properly latched, and that we had to return to the gate.

After a while we were cleared for take-off again. During the second take-off, and just before going airborne, the pilot again slammed on the brakes. The pilot said that the cargo latch was still not properly latched?!

We had to wait for a gate to open. As the pax deplaned, there was chaos at the gate - lots of chaos. There was ONE UA gate agent to assist the pax.

To make a long story short, I called UA and got on the next departing IAH-SFO. UA (on the phone) did not want to offload me and book me on the next flight. They eventually did after I escalated the issue.

Sounds like a sensor issue but you definitely do not want to be flying and have the cargo door open. Could create many issues including detaching from the aircraft and puncturing something (wing, tail, fuselage) on its way out.

How high did you have to escalate the issue to get rebooked?

-RM

brp1264 Dec 8, 2016 1:19 am

Aborted takeoff and recent mechanical issues

Just had an aborted takeoff SEA-IAH. Says a sensor for microflaps on wings was lit. Back to the gate we go.

My departure flight (EWR-SEA) a week ago was cancelled as the engines didn't start.

My flight just before that (SFO-EWR) was diverted to SLC due to a cracked windshield.

Anyone else seeing an increase of mechanical issues, or am I just having a string of bad luck?

narvik Dec 8, 2016 3:06 am

Originally Posted by brp1264 (Post 27581554)
... am I just having a string of bad luck?

That.
Please post your itinerary for next 6 months so we can avoid you! :cool: :D

bizinsider Dec 8, 2016 5:43 am

Originally Posted by JimmyJoe (Post 27579304)
I had almost the identical thing happen Monday morning from SEA to SFO also on a UA A319. During approach into SFO, before doing final left turn over the south bay, the lights went out and engines to full throttle for a moment. We continued way further south than normal before turning left and back up to land 10-15 minutes later.

Upon landing the captain said there was an electrical failure. When deplaning a mechanic was standing on the jet bridge muttering something about another broken plane today.

I didn't notice whether an engine went out as well. I don't think so.

Anyone out there think they know what's up?

I wonder if it was the same plane - aircraft (not flight) #4284. Looked like a full flight was ready to board to go back to SFO when we landed. I checked later and see they were shifted to an A320. And the next morning a first-of-the-day A320 to Chicago was cancelled, which suggests it was pressed into service as a replacement. I tried to find any tracking of #4284, to see what happened, but have no idea how to track commercial aircraft by number. And FWIW - I went to Flightaware to see the path and stats of our jet. We were at 700ft when the go-around began.

jsloan Dec 8, 2016 6:11 am

Originally Posted by bizinsider (Post 27582082)
I wonder if it was the same plane - aircraft (not flight) #4284. Looked like a full flight was ready to board to go back to SFO when we landed. I checked later and see they were shifted to an A320. And the next morning a first-of-the-day A320 to Chicago was cancelled, which suggests it was pressed into service as a replacement. I tried to find any tracking of #4284, to see what happened, but have no idea how to track commercial aircraft by number. And FWIW - I went to Flightaware to see the path and stats of our jet. We were at 700ft when the go-around began.

There's a fantastic project here that tracks the United fleet and maintains a mapping between aircraft numbers and tail numbers. AC #4284 is N484UA (flightaware link).

bizinsider Dec 8, 2016 6:20 am

Oh, that's great to know, JSloan. Wonder if I got the wrong plane number b/c that's an A320. Anyway to go back in time and see which aircraft was UA Flight 1798 on Dec 5?

Follow Up: Found it: Went to Flighttrader24.com, put in my flight number and there it was. Plane was N845UA (aircraft# 4045). 15 years old. Looks like it was grounded in San Diego for a little more than a day. And JimmyJoe it WAS probably the same plane you were on if you had been on UA698 December 5. if you go to FlightAware you can see your go around. Link to your flight here.