Wiki Posts
Search

Free snacks are back for United Economy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2016, 12:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
Currently on a morning UAX flight to EWR and enjoying a Stroopwafel with my coffee!
Does it mask the Freshpoo?

Pairing with Illy will be (hopefully) bliss.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
This may be the ultimate in first world problems, but any chance the Stroopwafel will show up in the F cabin? Would be a really nice treat with the PDB.
I'll try to ask for one in a few days. I'm sure they'll have no problem with it. On my 2/1 flight I was talking to the FA as he was loading the waffles from a container with about 100 for a E-175.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
This may be the ultimate in first world problems, but any chance the Stroopwafel will show up in the F cabin? Would be a really nice treat with the PDB.
I have tried suggesting as much in the surveys. I'd be pretty pleased if it happened.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:17 pm

Had a Stroopwafel on a 40 min EWR-DCA flight. Good to see it there. It's a small gesture but surely appreciated.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 2:46 pm

I just flew GUM/HNL and the purser announced that everyone in economy will be given a FREE snack.

The free snack was a o.5 OZ Biscoff Cookie! I overheard a passenger comment 'you must be kidding'?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JHake10
Does anybody have reports of UA giving out snacks? I would be impressed if every flight had the snacks on the dates advertised.
I flew UX yesterday SAT-LAX and they gave out little bags of snack mix, about twice as much as in one of the little bags on WN. It was a nice surprise. I wouldn't have complained about a stroopwafel, either, since it was an early flight.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sf4dfish
I just flew GUM/HNL and the purser announced that everyone in economy will be given a FREE snack.

The free snack was a o.5 OZ Biscoff Cookie! I overheard a passenger comment 'you must be kidding'?
What do they want? A whole meal? That cookie is a snack.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Apparently the news of free snacks has trickled down to the Guam media.

http://www.kuam.com/story/31114349/2...nolulu-flights

"Great news for all you frequent fliers as today United Airlines announced that free snacks will now be offered to economy cabin customers on all flights between Guam and Honolulu beginning today. The snacks include Dutch-made toasted waffle treats in the morning, and Asian-style snacks on flights departing after 9:35am including rice crackers, wasabi peas, ranch pretzels, and Cajun corn sticks, to name a few. Food services vice president Jimmy Samartiz said he hopes these touches will redefine what it means to fly United Airlines."

Needless to say, the comments on the KUAM facebook page are less than enthusiastic.

https://www.facebook.com/kuamnews/po...53532185803742
Old Feb 3, 2016, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
What do they want? A whole meal? That cookie is a snack.
I assume the passenger thought he/she would get a Snack Box?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
I enjoyed this, but I probably won't have it again. Way too sweet and not the healthiest snack in the world.

Good job United with the forward momentum though! Definitely a flyer friendly approach
Old Feb 3, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA -GS 4.5 MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Diamond
Sorry I hate to be the negative one here, but I find it difficult to get excited when we are getting something we used to have. Looking at the pictures notice the snack is in a 5 oz package and the waffle is so small that is just sits on top of the tiny coffee cut we get. I agree that's it is better then nothing, but really a 5 oz mix on a 6 hour transcon flight?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by feobrien
I agree that's it is better then nothing, but really a 5 oz mix on a 6 hour transcon flight?
I'm all for free meals in economy but in this day and age it makes no sense.

People have built up a stigma that airplane food is poor and they will always complain about it, even in premium cabins.
Too many allergies and diets to cater for now.
Too much wasted food and money for people that don't like it.

I always compare plane service to train service, do you get free food on a train? At least you can still get free soda, tea, juice, freshpoo on airplanes.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:12 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by feobrien
Sorry I hate to be the negative one here, but I find it difficult to get excited when we are getting something we used to have. Looking at the pictures notice the snack is in a 5 oz package and the waffle is so small that is just sits on top of the tiny coffee cut we get. I agree that's it is better then nothing, but really a 5 oz mix on a 6 hour transcon flight?
Whole lobsters for every passenger as snack is just not practical.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Here's an idea - team up with Subway or Togos or Quiznos or someone and offer a very simple free coach meal. A six-inch sub (nothing fancy, a couple choices like ham and cheese, roast beef, turkey, etc), a bag of chips and cookie. All of the advertising the sub chains could want, and at a decent cost to the airlines (a couple-three bucks per bag, maybe less).

Actually, UA wouldn't have to even offer them for free. Just cheaper than the current sandwich, with more stuff. Most people would pay for a sandwich combo from a major chain as BOB.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Whole lobsters for every passenger as snack is just not practical.
Well they did used to feed lobsters to prisoners...

And good move on the sandwhich partnership. They can still make them in Chelsea or GateGourmet and just slap on the brand logo. Charge $2 with $1 going to MoD or whatver charity UA wants that month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.