Free snacks are back for United Economy

Old Dec 9, 15, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by spin88 View Post
I 100% believe, and Oscar said that he intended to, that he set a different direction. He clearly looked at the figures/metrics we have discussed repeatedly and the internal UA metrics (which were awful) and said "holly bat man, we are losing our best customers"

Either he believes, or he was quickly convinced that United bottom of the heap product and service was killing sales. Once he set a new direction, people either implement it, or get they get canned when he is back in charge.
I think the awfulness of metrics is grossly overstated (or flat out created).

However, there's a valid school of thought that small improvements should be rolled out early, when big issues are open or progressing poorly. There's another school of thought that says focus on the fundamentals first and then roll out a bunch of changes, both big and small, after many of the fundamentals are more sound. I know which school United claims to be a part of, but I understand that conspiracies and speculation are also fun. Regardless, US-based passengers have received a number of product improvements in the past few weeks from multiple carriers, which reflects a positive industry trend, in no part helped by low oil prices and strong revenue performance.
Old Dec 9, 15, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US ex-CP, NW silver, Marriott plat, SPG gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by IainC View Post
They should not have started charging for snacks on flights in the first place. Still, this is a welcome reversal and hopefully another small step toward making UA a somewhat passenger friendly airline again...
Disagree! I am quite happy that most airlines now have a purchasable snack box or snack that is larger than a tiny little bag of pretzels. It is nice to know that is an option when I am just a little hungry. I will still be happy to have this tiny little snack for free, but a bigger purchasable option is great.
Old Dec 9, 15, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by awu25 View Post
Wow, great to hear!
Agree. YAY for UA!!! It's long overdue. Finally! Everyone can have a free snacks again.
Old Dec 10, 15, 2:53 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Perhaps Mr Munoz is slowing Mr Smisek's race for United to become the Spirit of the Global Skies.
Lots more work on his plate.
Old Dec 10, 15, 3:38 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac King of Coffee, Chick-fil-A Red
If Coach now gets free snack basket. I hope they will improve first class as well.
Old Dec 10, 15, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by spin88 View Post
+1 Its amazing how Jeff getting canned caused United to U-turn away so dramatically from the Hunter Keay view that service quality does not matter, its all network and price.
+1

Exactly the reaction I had. This combined with the coffee represents a clear departure from that mindset.

http://www.sfgate.com/business/artic...ks-6686486.php

Spokeswoman Karen May said the return of free snacks stems from "a listening campaign" with customers. As it turns out, food plays a role when fliers choose an airline.

"Food is a very important part of the customer experience," she said.
Old Dec 10, 15, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Could you imagine a world where they'd actually feed you meals at mealtime?

What a wacky idea! Now *that* would be trend-setting.

And being that United owns their own catering company, much more cost effective than it would be for anyone else .....
Old Dec 10, 15, 8:46 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by dmurphynj View Post
Could you imagine a world where they'd actually feed you meals at mealtime?

What a wacky idea! Now *that* would be trend-setting.

And being that United owns their own catering company, much more cost effective than it would be for anyone else .....
Unless it's the bag bistro idea, they would have to staff up FAs on planes to go back to meal service. The FAA minimums that Jeffy strove to match makes it tough to get too much service on a 737 or A319/320.
Old Dec 10, 15, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott T, HH D, IHG SA.
Good job, nice work, well done...
Old Dec 10, 15, 11:03 am

Programs: CO Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Really?

I can't believe all the excitement over a 10 cent cookie. All United is doing is going back to the levels of service (and not even fully back) that we saw on Continental. I don't know about anyone else - but the 10 cent cookie won't be a deciding factor in who I choose to fly - comfort (i.e. legroom and seating), on-time performance, schedule and price - that's how I'll decide.
Old Dec 10, 15, 12:50 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 View Post
If Coach now gets free snack basket. I hope they will improve first class as well.
I wish it were a snack basket in coach! As a 1K often found in coach, I'd like to look forward to more than a single offering of a tiny pkg. of sodium and chemical-laden savory snack mix which UA's news release indicates is in store for us, after the morning offering.

We used to have these handouts well before the merger. Does the name "Summer Harvest" snack mix bring back any memories? I probably have some still around the house, waiting for the next flood.

This would be a great gesture if it was something healthier and tastier such as pretzels or trail mix -- or a choice.
Old Dec 10, 15, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL View Post
Nice job UA. Explains why the Stroopwafel samples have been at the LAX UC for the last week.
I'm not familiar with Stroopwafel, so anyone know if the real product is larger than these samples? I grabbed one at the ORD-B UC and they're the size of a half-dollar coin!
Old Dec 10, 15, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, GE/TSAPre
Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag View Post
I'm not familiar with Stroopwafel, so anyone know if the real product is larger than these samples? I grabbed one at the ORD-B UC and they're the size of a half-dollar coin!
They're advertised as being intended to sit on top of a coffee cup to warm up - so I think they are definitely larger than the samples
Old Dec 10, 15, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US ex-CP, NW silver, Marriott plat, SPG gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag View Post
Dunno sounds right by the standards of an American domestic airline. It isn't like those peanut bags have ever been all that big on any airline....
Old Dec 10, 15, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K View Post
I wish it were a snack basket in coach! As a 1K often found in coach, I'd like to look forward to more than a single offering of a tiny pkg. of sodium and chemical-laden savory snack mix which UA's news release indicates is in store for us, after the morning offering.

We used to have these handouts well before the merger. Does the name "Summer Harvest" snack mix bring back any memories? I probably have some still around the house, waiting for the next flood.

This would be a great gesture if it was something healthier and tastier such as pretzels or trail mix -- or a choice.
It would be truly radical for a full service airline like UA to aspire to the cabin service levels of a discount airline like Southwest.

Search this Thread