Anyone here fly on their own dime

Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
100%

If I ever have to fly for work - shoot me.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: United Gold, Delta Silver, SPG Gold
At my previous company, I traveled internationally for work. Was about 80/20 split for work/personal. However, I was required to buy coach so Flyertalk was useful for me to learn the in's and out's of getting upgrades, etc as a 1K. With my current job, I no longer travel for work. All travel (mostly international) is on my own dime. This year, that means I no longer qualify for 1K (will make gold) this year.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:10 pm

The majority of my travel is personal, so work travel doesn't help me much for PQM/PQD. I'll only qualify for Silver on UA next year, though I was Gold this year.

On UA, the PQM bonus for flying first/business helps a lot if you can afford it. If you book far in advance, sometimes you can pay just $200-300 more for first for a transcon. Otherwise, fly to Europe and Asia, though cheap fares there won't help with PQD.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
All personal now as I am self-employed, and will reach 1MM status in 2016. So always looking for the best deals but 1K in 2015 did not result in as many upgrades so curious to see what 2016 brings. In order to keep 1K status I will try and do a couple of premium flights to keep 1K, and then the rest are at the fares to use for the upgrades that mostly did not happen.

I mostly fly internationally, and when I fly domestically if I am in the front of the plane I will give up my seat to a uniformed military person - domestic first class is nice but a better treat for our military personnel.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:17 pm

Smile 2 MM

I joined Mileage plus the day it started in the early 1980's. Since then
have flown 1.93 Million miles on United. and have been 1K for over 12 years. I will hit 2 MM mid 2016. Every mile I have flown has been on my own dime.
(Never flew on Co till the merger only original UA)

Love to travel and United is my airline.

Cleveland is my home airport.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:23 pm

I am. Hope to use credit card waiver to qualify for gold again this year.

I did try OW/AA, qualified for Platinum - but my experience with AA was worse than UA (if you can believe it) and OW alliance network and prices are not very competitive. So, back to UA it is.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by azfanboy
Newbie here and first post. I recently became a UA Silver and trying to get to Gold by the end of the year.

Going through this forum has been a real eye opener, I had no idea folks followed this stuff so seriously. Looking at all the mileages and statuses on here leads me to believe that most folks fly for business. Me on the other hand have to fly on my own dime out of EWR to visit family out in PHX roughly doing it every 2 weeks.

Was just wondering if there are more people like me and if so, do you use any special strategies in mileage and status accumulation that might be different than the business road warrior?
I always fly on my own dime, I don't fly enough to get rewards etc and I am my own boss so there is no company travel (plus I really fly VERY infrequntly). So it may seem odd I'm on a frequent flier site but it helps me with travel anxiety, plus the topics are really interesting here and I have learned so much about air travel
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: Continental
I do, 100% all leisure...1K past 5 years
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:45 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
All own money since we own the company. About 25% of my biz travel has a pleasure component in it now though. My employees travel exactly as I do...same policies. If I won't do it, I won't ask them to do it.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
100% on my own dime. Two years away from Lifetime 1K (well for now anyway) and barely making the $12,000 PQD this year (by $33). I pray that there will be no change to that number for next year.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Yes. Own dime, work & leisure.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, ICH Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Platinum
All my own dime. That $12,000 PQD is a budget buster but have already used all my GPU's for next years trips so husband won't complain too much.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
100k+ this year, but no 1K because of spend. everything paid by me.

i want to be a free agent in 2016 and check out other airlines, but all those award miles are so much more valuable when you can change/redeposit at will as a plat.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
The company pays for my travel, but since I own the company, it comes out of my bottom-line.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:26 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Have been 1K for 12 years and have 1.5 million miles to use, will reach MM status on my next flight at Christmas and every cent has been paid for by me as a leisure traveler. Have already booked 2 of my flights for next year using my 2016 GPU's and one more to go. Starting in 2017, no more spend of any kind, all miles, and hopefully on some great International carriers, I doubt I will fly UA anymore.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.