Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA Grant 2016 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2015?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA Grant 2016 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2015?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2015, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Mike1089
Do you think UA will still process me through if I'm short $6 PQD? I'll be at 103 segments for the year.
No one here can give you a definitive answer. The answer to all these questions is, "if you're very close, there's a chance UA will give it to you - but do you want to risk that?"

Originally Posted by Mike1089
If not if I buy an upgrade one of my remaining flights will that count towards PQD?
Upfare, yes. Upgrade, no. Call and tell the agent you'd like to upfare to F and ask them to waive the change fee.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by jasonvr
My situation. Currently sitting at 43.6k PQM/52.5 PQS. I've got one rt booked to ORD which will put me at just north of 47k PQM/54.5 PQS. I had a business trip that got cancelled this week (transcon that would have easily put me over 50k). But, my PQD is way over the requirement, sitting at almost $9300 right now and the ORD trip will put me over $9800.

So what are the chances they'll look at my PQD and see the cancelled ticket and grant me Gold again? Or am I destined for a mid-con MR? It's time like this that I wished they granted status based on $ alone since we all know that's what they really care about....
I heard a story once. In fact,
I've heard a lot of stories in my time. They went along with the sound
of a tinny piano...
There will always be stories, typically anecdotal (but not always) where UA extended the prior-year's status or allowed for a slight shortfall. But there have been far more stories where they didn't.

In times gone by, maybe that could have happened, but UA (and others) have done an excellent job of monetizing the last-minute quest for status. Nobody's really left without a choice. If they want status, they can buy it by-

Flying (cheapest)
Award accelerator (convenient)
Using UA's expensive post-year-end buy-ups (really expensive)
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: Star Alliance (Gold) MileagePlus (Premier 1K), Marriott (Gold)
$500 under PQD for 1k - Odds UA is generous?

First time on these forums - and loving it already!

I'll be passing the 1k mark in 2 weeks on a EWR-PHX trip, but will be just $500 short of PQDs. I've had the MileagePlus Explorer Card and have spent well over the $25k this year.

Odds that UA will "gift" me 1k status?

Many thanks in advance!
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Debs_09

I'll be passing the 1k mark in 2 weeks on a EWR-PHX trip, but will be just $500 short of PQDs. I've had the MileagePlus Explorer Card and have spent well over the $25k this year.

Many thanks in advance!
Welcome to FlyerTalk Debs_09!

The odds that United gifts you the 1K status while $500 short of PQD is very, very slim. (not going to happen).

If you are that close, I would seriously consider either a $500 mileage run, an up-fare of your upcoming itinerary, or some other method to get the $500 PQD to assure 1K status. IME, it would be worth it...assuming you will continue to travel as much in 2016.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:03 pm

Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Plat (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)
$500 short, pretty low. There have been reports in the wild of people within $100 (and that might be generous) getting or retaining status. But $500, highly unlikely based on what's reported here in early 2015 (from the 2014 qualification year).

A reasonable valuation of 1k status probably makes it worth spending the $500, especially if you plan international travel next year. Since you're short PQD rather than miles you can use the less time-consuming solution of finding a short expensive flight to get you over the hump, rather than the conventional December search for a long, cheap flight (hello Anchorage, via Houston! which I did this time last year from Minneapolis)
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by Debs_09

Many thanks in advance!
How about the opposite?....spending over $12K but only flying 60K miles. This may be the future state of qualification for 1k anyhow.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mikel51
How about the opposite?....spending over $12K but only flying 60K miles. This may be the future state of qualification for 1k anyhow.
Lol, don't bet on it.

My situation is that I'll end up with about $12.5k PQD, 45k PQM, and 59 PQS. I was supposed to have a connection the other night, but delays would've forced a misconnect, so I switched to a non-stop. Now I'll end up 1 PQS short of Gold (slow year). I was also supposed to be in BRU right now, but my client canceled the trip due to safety concerns

Will UA grant me Gold status despite being 1 PQS short of official qualification due to my extenuating circumstances and having more than doubled the PQD requirement?

I'll probably try to grab a random short turn from ORD or MKE to ensure Gold for next year.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Will UA Grant Me Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2015?

I know UA is very stingy about the 1k status, meaning you hit 99,999 they will not give it to you.
In the past they have been more flexible with the other tiers. Has anyone had any communications or discussions with United on this.

Last edited by J.Edward; Dec 6, 2015 at 2:45 pm Reason: Update thread title.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 2:42 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
I am not aware of any similar promotion for the 2016 elite year, but if there are, please feel free to post.

FWIW this thread was posted last year - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-only-pls.html
Old Dec 6, 2015, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by snapper6768
I know UA is very stingy about the 1k status, meaning you hit 99,999 they will not give it to you.
That has always officially been the case, but has also never been enforced.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 7:28 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That has always officially been the case, but has also never been enforced.
A few years ago, my wife was granted 1K status with just over 95,000 miles, but with >30,000 PQDs.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:48 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

I was talking to a colleague today about his status, he has 76,720 PQM for the year. (all from SQ and NH)

He has the United Mileage Plus Select Visa from Chase with over 25k in spend.

He has 0 United Flights on the year.

What is his best course of action to earn status? Just fly 4 UA segments?
Can he convert his current card and get this waived? I too was a bit fuzzy on all of the prerequisites required.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
I was talking to a colleague today about his status, he has 76,720 PQM for the year. (all from SQ and NH)

He has the United Mileage Plus Select Visa from Chase with over 25k in spend.

He has 0 United Flights on the year.

What is his best course of action to earn status? Just fly 4 UA segments?
Can he convert his current card and get this waived? I too was a bit fuzzy on all of the prerequisites required.
Get a Chase MP Club Card fast or make a short segment run.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 10:00 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What does that offer that the select card does not? Select seemed to offer 5k PQM.

Isn't any waiver after $25,000, that is a bit hard to accomplish in 25 days, no?

TIA
Old Dec 6, 2015, 10:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What does that offer that the select card does not? Select seemed to offer 5k PQM.

Isn't any waiver after $25,000, that is a bit hard to accomplish in 25 days, no?

TIA
The MP Chase Club regardless of spend waives the 4 UA operated segment requirement. (And provides UC membership).
The existing Chase card waives the PQD requirement for Plat or lower -- the two make status just a PQM issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.